Fly fishing without flies. What are we doing?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Baitfish, leeches nor crayfish fly, how 'bout those? OR

Attachments

• 20220428_100452.jpg
    20220428_100452.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
The bugs are gone, or will be gone soon.

As the PNWFF Minister of Truth, I'm flagging this as disinformation.

DSC_0263.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The decline of insects worldwide has been well documented for quite a while now. It doesn't mean they're gone everywhere, but numbers are down and declining.

cody-

Steelhead
The decline of insects worldwide has been well documented for quite a while now. It doesn't mean they're gone everywhere, but numbers are down and declining.
I didn't actually read the article I posted. Is it mostly just the effects of pesticides from agriculture or something else?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I didn't actually read the article I posted. Is it mostly just the effects of pesticides from agriculture or something else?
If I recall from looking in to previous studies, that was definitely one of the biggest drivers. It's been a while since I've looked in to it, but there's quite a lot of data out there that go far beyond this survey with car plates.

cody-

Steelhead
If I recall from looking in to previous studies, that was definitely one of the biggest drivers. It's been a while since I've looked in to it, but there's quite a lot of data out there that go far beyond this survey with car plates.
Yeah, seems like a pretty quick and dirty methodology. Cheap though compared to sweep netting. I might try to find the journal article during a lunch break this week and see which of my many questions the article addresses, e.g., have the car wash habits of drivers changed since 2004?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Might want to keep quiet that Montana still has bugs. All the trout fishermen in the world are soon going to move there..
They’d better get on it. The Californians have almost bought the entire state.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, seems like a pretty quick and dirty methodology. Cheap though compared to sweep netting. I might try to find the journal article during a lunch break this week and see which of my many questions the article addresses, e.g., have the car wash habits of drivers changed since 2004?
You don't have to try too hard. The report is linked right in the article you didn't read. 😜

cody-

Steelhead
No need to be angry. Your article also contains a link to a similar study from Denmark.
That was a sarcastic angry because the thumbs up seemed like it would be taken as sarcastic and because the admins haven't implemented a reaction for the emoji I really wanted to use 🥴