Non-Fly Dead Zone reports

MikeT

Just Hatched
I was out around Bachelor a week ago and it was completely dead.
Counts at Bonneville have jumped up the last few days so it should be turning around soon.
Weeds have been a problem but with forecasted lower water that should improve.
I'm preparing to hit it hard as soon as my kicker motor gets repaired (next Wednesday).
Let's see some reports!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I was out around Bachelor a week ago and it was completely dead.
Counts at Bonneville have jumped up the last few days so it should be turning around soon.
Weeds have been a problem but with forecasted lower water that should improve.
I'm preparing to hit it hard as soon as my kicker motor gets repaired (next Wednesday).
Let's see some reports!
Thanks for starting this! I kept meaning to but been sidetracked.

I haven't been out yet. I fish out of Chinook Landing and mostly go up stream from there. Probably get out there for the first time next week and see how things are looking. About that time!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
In case I'm missing something, maybe someone can fill me in:

We close down on Sept. 15. Typically we see re-opening around Oct 1, but don't see that listed. But the salmon season listings always seem so fragmented and hard to follow...

MikeT

Just Hatched
Evan, Warrior Rock to Bonneville is open Aug. 1--Sept. 14. After Sept. 14 all fishing is closed until Oct. 1, when it reopens for hatchery coho (2 fish/day).

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Evan, Warrior Rock to Bonneville is open Aug. 1--Sept. 14. After Sept. 14 all fishing is closed until Oct. 1, when it reopens for Chinook and hatchery coho (2 fish/day, only one can be a Chinook).
Hmm, I was looking this morning and couldn't find it anywhere that it even mentioned Oct 1. They really need an easier to look-up method for salmon seasons.

MikeT

Just Hatched
Here's the regulations in the ODFW fishing regulation updates. Looks like I was mistaken......it says Oct. 1 to Dec. 31 the limit is two hatchery coho and all Chinook must be released. I corrected the post above.

Warrior Rock/Bachelor Island upstream to Bonneville Dam

Area definition: From a line projected from the Warrior Rock Lighthouse on the Oregon shore to red navigation buoy #4, then to the piling dolphin on the lower end of Bachelor Island upstream to Bonneville Dam.

General regulations during fall season:

• Wild coho must be released.
  • All steelhead must be released August 1 – October 31.
  • Permanent rules for size limits and jack retention regulations are in place:
    • Adult Chinook are longer than 24-inches and adult coho are longer than 20-inches.
    • Retention of Chinook (12–24-inches) and coho (12–20-inches) jack salmon alloweda when retention of adults of those species is allowed.
Additional regulations by date period:

• August 1 – September 14: Retention of Chinook and hatchery coho allowed. The daily adult bag limit is two salmon, but only one may be a Chinook.
  • September 15–30: Salmonid angling prohibited.
  • October 1–31: Retention of hatchery coho allowed; all Chinook must be released. The daily adult bag limit is two hatchery coho.
  • November 1 – December 31: Retention of hatchery coho and hatchery steelhead allowed; all Chinook must be released. The daily adult bag limit is two salmonids (coho or steelhead only).

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Bummer chinook is closed in October. I've caught some nice chinook those first couple weeks.

Was out there with a buddy and my dad this past Sunday. Started at 6am and got nothing, and saw nothing. Another passing boat said they caught one, and a dude in the parking lot said he had one take down. Called it around 11:30 I think. Splash and giggle crowd were in full effect by then. Lotta weeds.
Around Davis bar and Frenchman bar area.

Salmonslaye

Freshly Spawned
In case I'm missing something, maybe someone can fill me in:

We close down on Sept. 15. Typically we see re-opening around Oct 1, but don't see that listed. But the salmon season listings always seem so fragmented and hard to follow...
Do what I do, just call ODFW. I've heard people say it's closing on Aug. 31 but after calling ODFW, they set me straight.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Went from chinook landing up to my super secret troll zone this morning along with a few other boats with the same secret.

No nets seen between daylight and 9:30am. Dead is the only word fitting for the action.

MikeT

Just Hatched
Fished 7-noon today at Bachelor and Caterpillar Island. Fair number of boats around but did not see even one net out.
Water is 71.5 degrees, and I think that's contributing to the poor fishing. Bonneville counts suggest there are lots of fish in the river....apparently all with lockjaw.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Fished 7-noon today at Bachelor and Caterpillar Island. Fair number of boats around but did not see even one net out.
Water is 71.5 degrees, and I think that's contributing to the poor fishing. Bonneville counts suggest there are lots of fish in the river....apparently all with lockjaw.
Yup that's been my experience. Same with years past: Just have a really hard time getting salmon in 70 degree water to bite.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
This morning was productive for those trolling. I saw a LOT of nets. Me, I was on a non trolling program and didn't take my trolling gear. I lost my fish at the boat and decided it was time to go to work.

After toiling all year, finally got me one this morning at 7:15am near Davis bar.
Hen, 32”, and bright.
Mexican hat spinner with pink hoochie, behind a triangle. 45 on the line counter in about 40’ or so of water. Probably 2-3 dozen boats, saw 1 net fly about 30 min after catching mine and that was it. 6:30-11:30am.
Fish checker at Gleason said this was the 1st she’s seen this morning.

IMG_1540.jpeg

MikeT

Just Hatched
Bachelor Island was kicking out quite a few fish today. Lots of boats moved to that area since they closed the river below Warrior Rock on Tuesday.
Water was 69 degrees this morning and I think that is what turned it around. Only one more week of fishing for chinook Warrior Rock to Bonneville. Go get 'em!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Chinook Landing yesterday morning. Went 4 for 7 trolling. First three crackered off because I wasn't ready to teach three first timers that early in the troll 😂. First fish we hooked in the first part of the first pass was a 30lb class fish. Just absolutely smoked us. Got to the boat but it somehow came unpinned on a last effort run

We were headed back to the dock by 9am.

1694519283453.png