Countdown!!! ... Atmospheric River’ Begins to Pound Western U.S. With Rain and Snow

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Well we went back and checked...

Then actually walked back down with rubber boots and axes... And freed up the launch

View attachment 56132
Shawn - I've been trying really hard to counteract the Seeger Effect by keeping my snow shovels by the back door, the deicing salt handy and my korkers handy so I won't slip when shoveling snow on the driveway but, man, there just ain't no use trying. You may well be out hacking ice tomorrow and Wednesday and........ ;-) Snowing in Ephrata right now.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It looks pretty tough over there in the Banana Belt! Be grateful you are not on the Frozen Tundra. Here there is over 18'' of snow on the ground, 6'' of it fresh in the past 3 days and at least 6 more inches forecast by the end of the week. I shoveled a path to the barn today-about 60 paces-and it was heart attack snow. A single shovel full was so heavy I could barely lift it.

I would like to plow but with so much more snow on the way it makes little sense. The 15 day forecast list snow on 10 of those days and no days in the 40's before mid March. I hope the forecast is wrong!

A few years back several of us were at Coffeepot early in the season and the boat launch area had iced over during the night. Those of us with inflatables were unable to launch until some guys came along with a drift boat that they used as an ice breaker. I'm thinking Buzzy was there that day, we didn't have to worry about rattlesnakes...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It looks pretty tough over there in the Banana Belt! Be grateful you are not on the Frozen Tundra. Here there is over 18'' of snow on the ground, 6'' of it fresh in the past 3 days and at least 6 more inches forecast by the end of the week. I shoveled a path to the barn today-about 60 paces-and it was heart attack snow. A single shovel full was so heavy I could barely lift it.

I would like to plow but with so much more snow on the way it makes little sense. The 15 day forecast list snow on 10 of those days and no days in the 40's before mid March. I hope the forecast is wrong!

A few years back several of us were at Coffeepot early in the season and the boat launch area had iced over during the night. Those of us with inflatables were unable to launch until some guys came along with a drift boat that they used as an ice breaker. I'm thinking Buzzy was there that day, we didn't have to worry about rattlesnakes...
I was there, Ive. Rowing out wasn't easy as there was little purchase on the ice - but we persevered - were the ice breakers.

Last year folks were ice fishing on the launch bay opening day.

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm smarter this year Pat. I'll stay home on opening day and watch pre-season baseball on my new 65'' HD TV, have a big fire in the wood stove, make beans and ham hocks with buttermilk cornbread and tie a few Olive Willys and Halfbacks. It will be a nice day with no cold feet or danger of frostbite. Lots of good ale in the fridge to combat the low 21% humidity here on the tundra. Come on over!!

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Wednesday morning we’ll be heading to the ranch. No fishing as I’m sure the area lakes are frozen. Glenda will be making a quiche and I’ll wash it down with an ale and neighbors we’ve not seen in a while. I’ll look forward to warmer weather and open waters and friends.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wednesday morning we’ll be heading to the ranch. No fishing as I’m sure the area lakes are frozen. Glenda will be making a quiche and I’ll wash it down with an ale and neighbors we’ve not seen in a while. I’ll look forward to warmer weather and open waters and friends.
It looks like nice weather for the drive over with no significant snow until the weekend. Have you bought that new tractor with the snow plow yet? Remember-you can also put a huge mower on the back and give yourself a lot more time to fish this season! 😁 Money well spent for big boyz toyz.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Snow ticks have been nasty

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Thankfully I have caught thousands of fish over the last 7+ decades and no longer have to do crazy shit like this! But 50 years ago I was equally crazy doing shit like this above 10,000'. Nowadays the TV, wood stove and recliner have me in their spell and won't release their grip until the wildflowers appear..
Don’t forget the kitchen…