Countdown!!! ... Atmospheric River’ Begins to Pound Western U.S. With Rain and Snow

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Got back last evening after a week of fun filled adventure! The cookie swap on Wednesday night was topped by Shawn's contributions. I'm going to have to up my game next year...and my compliments to Mrs. Seeger and also to Wayne for his almond roca!

The fish were very healthy this year and except for one day pretty consistent in taking my offerings. My best day was probably yesterday morning with just about non-stop action until noon when I quit.

A big thanks to Shawn and company for companionship, tips and the bobber rigging!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got back last evening after a week of fun filled adventure! The cookie swap on Wednesday night was topped by Shawn's contributions. I'm going to have to up my game next year...and my compliments to Mrs. Seeger and also to Wayne for his almond roca!

The fish were very healthy this year and except for one day pretty consistent in taking my offerings. My best day was probably yesterday morning with just about non-stop action until noon when I quit.

A big thanks to Shawn and company for companionship, tips and the bobber rigging!
A agree Shawn and company are great hosts. He even gave me a burger. And yes, the Seeger cookie game is tough.
Must have just missed you W. Maybe next time!

The fishing on Saturday & Sunday wasn't hot, but definitely enough to keep me out there all day. Lots of 15-17" fish that, for a lack of a better term, just fight angry. Haha! I had a fish today that was SO hot. I've only had 2 trout in my life that were hotter. And they are thick. Here's a couple typical fish.
20230312_135238~2.jpg

20230311_162913.jpg

And the sunshine did feel good!
20230311_131340.jpg

I gotta figure out how I get back there this spring.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Right now I'm home and busy. I agreed to sell my youngest daughters Jeep Wrangler for her. During a test drive last night I told the guy that I had been fishing all week. "You know, my trailer is only have unpacked and if you'd buy this jeep tonight I could be back out there lickety split!"

After much haggling we parted ways - $500 apart. :(

dep

Steelhead
fished this lake over a long 3 day weekend. fish cooperated. I am not a good still fisherman. I like to move around and the fish were willing to play, so I stayed with my plan. Shawn and team were out in force and they were getting fish. Yes, they banter on the lake and I could only think it gets longer and louder back in camp. Nice to see Team Seager!
A guy fell into the water Saturday afternoon and most people were on shore already. the guy was able to get back into his pontoon but lost his rod to the lake. My friend found the rod the next day and between another guy (Greg) camping in the lot, we were able to get the rod back to the guy.
my good deed for the year
I fished Rocky Ford on Monday. it was very windy, but managed to get a few in the net. I fished with my daughter's boyfriend and his roommate - they came from wsu. they are figuring it out and each hooked up a few times.

back in a couple of weeks.

dp

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Unfortunately this getting old is harder than anyone ever said... I am back home today scrambling to get things done before another surgery, (last minute scheduling)

That said a report will be following (as time permits), it was really great seeing so many board members. Sorry @Billy, I had to put you off again, for now.

Until the next outing.... Safe travels to all!

IMG_20230318_101304656.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Unfortunately this getting old is harder than anyone ever said... I am back home today scrambling to get things done before another surgery, (last minute scheduling)

That said a report will be following (as time permits), it was really great seeing so many board members. Sorry @Billy, I had to put you off again, for now.

Until the next outing.... Safe travels to all!

View attachment 58409
Good luck with your surgery, get back at it quickly!!

Waynerd

Just Hatched
fished this lake over a long 3 day weekend. fish cooperated. I am not a good still fisherman. I like to move around and the fish were willing to play, so I stayed with my plan. Shawn and team were out in force and they were getting fish. Yes, they banter on the lake and I could only think it gets longer and louder back in camp. Nice to see Team Seager!
A guy fell into the water Saturday afternoon and most people were on shore already. the guy was able to get back into his pontoon but lost his rod to the lake. My friend found the rod the next day and between another guy (Greg) camping in the lot, we were able to get the rod back to the guy.
I fished Rocky Ford on Monday. it was very windy, but managed to get a few in the net. I fished with my daughter's boyfriend and his roommate - they came from wsu. they are figuring it out and each hooked up a few times.

dp
Thanks for getting the rod back to the owner. I left a rod behind and it was returned. What a relief it was!

I was on the lake when the guy fell into the water. I started rowing over to help. He was able to quickly get back in his pontoon boat by himself and didn't need my help.

After getting back to camp I did some post processing (because that's what I always do)! I thought about what I would have done had he needed my help. In this case the guy did not have a life perserver. If I would have been able to get him to him to shore it would have been good to have a space blanket to perhaps keep him from hypothermia. I did not have a space blanket in my boat bag - but I do now!

Take way for me

1 - always double check my safety gear and put on my PFD before heading out
2 - make sure I have a few supplies to help a fellow fisher person out if they need help, including a space blanket and 1st aid kit.

This could have turned out much worse, but luckily everything turned out okay.

Be save out there, it only takes a second for things to go downhill quickly.

dp

dp

dp

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Trip report out is up....

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do you guys keep the pipes from freezing?
Is having the furnace running enough to keep the pipes/water tank from freezing up?
My trailer is winterized. I thought I needed to have it winterized until the temps got above freezing for the season.
So... several things that I do and have learned.... buy a 3/4 season trailer and verify how ALL the pipes are sealed into the undercarriage. Then I put a thermometer in the trailer while it is winterized and verify the temperature differential, mine is 10 degrees outside to inside. So, when I am heading in to sustain below freezing area (time of year) I will run my trailer furnace off and on throughout the night, to keep my pipes and undercarriage from getting to cold. I installed a new digital thermostat in the trailer that has a minimum temp setting of 33 degrees, so when it kicks on at night I know it has dropped to 22 outside, and will let the furnace run for a while. And so far knock on wood I have only have an 90 degree pipe crack, which I fixed the next day.

I also run a Mister Buddy with a heat dispersing fan on top when it is going to be below freezing all night, I also leave all cupboard doors open that have pipes in them over night.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You're dealing with March weather in Grant County - there's a lot of snow on the Colockum and when there's snow up there somehow there's wind. Glad you had some good catching. The wind today and tomorrow with all this sun and above freezing should start unlocking other stillwaters. I sure enjoy your posts! Good luck! (Judy's up on SR26 west of Royal is good Mexican food).
Judy's apparently has moved to Otthelo, so I will have to hit it in the fall.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
So... several things that I do and have learned.... buy a 3/4 season trailer and verify how ALL the pipes are sealed into the undercarriage. Then I put a thermometer in the trailer while it is winterized and verify the temperature differential, mine is 10 degrees outside to inside. So, when I am heading in to sustain below freezing area (time of year) I will run my trailer furnace off and on throughout the night, to keep my pipes and undercarriage from getting to cold. I installed a new digital thermostat in the trailer that has a minimum temp setting of 33 degrees, so when it kicks on at night I know it has dropped to 22 outside, and will let the furnace run for a while. And so far knock on wood I have only have an 90 degree pipe crack, which I fixed the next day.

I also run a Mister Buddy with a heat dispersing fan on top when it is going to be below freezing all night, I also leave all cupboard doors open that have pipes in them over night.
Thank you Shawn for the detailed information.