NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Non-fishing related

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I'm emptying, turning, and rebuilding raised beds today. The beds were here when we moved in and there isn't really an option to relocate them on our property.
Our neighbor's cherry trees have a bad habit of infiltrating our beds with roots and causing problems. They form a dense mat of roots about 2/3 deep in the box and suck the soil dry. Heavy duty garden fabric was no match for them by year 2. What are my realistic options for dealing with them and/or preventing them from getting in my beds?
IMG20240416122851.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Top seed my lawn. It never recovered this spring. It’s an old lawn, facing south into the summer sun and the slope doesn’t help.
I had a crane fly issue as well.
Killed all the moss and raked it out. Treated for the crane flies. Just trying to get it looking halfway decent to get through this year. I’ll have more time to mess with it next year. New grass is just starting to come up. The best part of the old lawn is where I wash my waders off.
As @Mossback says, lawns are overrated. 😉
SF

IMG_7125.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm emptying, turning, and rebuilding raised beds today. The beds were here when we moved in and there isn't really an option to relocate them on our property.
Our neighbor's cherry trees have a bad habit of infiltrating our beds with roots and causing problems. They form a dense mat of roots about 2/3 deep in the box and suck the soil dry. Heavy duty garden fabric was no match for them by year 2. What are my realistic options for dealing with them and/or preventing them from getting in my beds?
View attachment 110948
Girdling the neighbors trees 🤷‍♂️

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Girdling the neighbors trees 🤷‍♂️
Copper nails...

Realistically...
Not a lot
A 18-24" deep bamboo barrier along the prop line, or around each box will help for a number of years, but tree roots have a habit of finding nice soils and water in the end.
Cherry roots can be fairly shallow, and after cutting them then the suckers start.

I put this in on a job to prevent the wild area beyond the garden from just marching into the new soils, the root systems are always on the march with native trees and shrubs. Keeps the roots out well...18"-24" is the best for cedar roots, 30" is going to work the best long term.
Lot of work, lot of money...but it works.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Copper nails...

Realistically...
Not a lot
A 18-24" deep bamboo barrier along the prop line, or around each box will help for a number of years, but tree roots have a habit of finding nice soils and water in the end.
Cherry roots can be fairly shallow, and after cutting them then the suckers start.

I put this in on a job to prevent the wild area beyond the garden from just marching into the new soils, the root systems are always on the march with native trees and shrubs. Keeps the roots out well...18"-24" is the best for cedar roots, 30" is going to work the best long term.
Lot of work, lot of money...but it works.
Thanks for the info, that looks like a real solution, but not in the budget for this year. I hope to install that when the fence fails and needs to be replaced, that way I can trench the whole run along with digging post holes.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
It works...and a trencher is the way to go for sure. I leave about 3" above the ground after installing, then you can mulch to just below the top. The stuff I linked to is very good, but at 80 mil is not the easiest to cut. Overlap by 12" when joining two pieces if you wind up needing to do that...it's a two person job for most folks, as a roll of that stuff is heavy.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Frost here in Tacoma this morning. Bummer. Hoping it was a light enough one that there won’t be too many adverse effects on my garden.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Frost here in Tacoma this morning. Bummer. Hoping it was a light enough one that there won’t be too many adverse effects on my garden.
Frost was announced in Clark county. I made some covers out of saved paper bags and recycled coco basket liners for protective mulch.
Everything is fine this morning. Put them on this late afternoon / early evening after soil heats up for tonight, then weather here warms up and I will save them for future temp drops

Reactions: NRC

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Frost was announced in Clark county. I made some covers out of saved paper bags and recycled coco basket liners for protective mulch.
Everything is fine this morning. Put them on this late afternoon / early evening after soil heats up for tonight, then weather here warms up and I will save them for future temp drops
Nice. That level of proactivity is something for me to aspire to.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Top seed my lawn. It never recovered this spring. It’s an old lawn, facing south into the summer sun and the slope doesn’t help.
I had a crane fly issue as well.
Killed all the moss and raked it out. Treated for the crane flies. Just trying to get it looking halfway decent to get through this year. I’ll have more time to mess with it next year. New grass is just starting to come up. The best part of the old lawn is where I wash my waders off.
As @Mossback says, lawns are overrated. 😉
SF
took me a while, staring at it like one of those three d college dorm room posters, but eventually i could see your mildew-ed up camo rig in the picture you posted.

You could go all in with low Japanese maples, rhoadies, azaleas and shrubs and stuff, never have to mow again....you got a nice South facing site with afternoon sun.

1713381774691.png

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I'll have a yard of soil delivered later this week to finish off my raised bed renovations then get going on early season seeds.
IMG20240416122851.jpgIMG20240417151357.jpg
The herbs all existed somewhere else and have now been consolidated, awaiting parsley and cilantro in the open spot in the first bed. At just under 100 square feet, I'm trying to squeeze the most amount of produce out of our little backyard garden.
IMG20240417172011.jpg
Robin supervised all day...
IMG20240417124240.jpg

Well, at least when she wasn't taking a nap...
IMG20240417124210.jpg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'll have a yard of soil delivered later this week to finish off my raised bed renovations then get going on early season seeds.
View attachment 111126View attachment 111127
The herbs all existed somewhere else and have now been consolidated, awaiting parsley and cilantro in the open spot in the first bed. At just under 100 square feet, I'm trying to squeeze the most amount of produce out of our little backyard garden.
View attachment 111128
Robin supervised all day...
View attachment 111129

Well, at least when she wasn't taking a nap...
View attachment 111130
Nice work. Get some worm castings to add and mix in … it is magic(wilco farm store, or Parkrose (hardware and garden store) helps a lot with water retention and trace minerals ph neutral

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Warning: thread drift.

As newly weds, my wife and I rented a place in the country about half way between Sequim and Port Angeles. The landlord lived in a modular along Barr Road (Extended), we had his house overlooking McDonald Creek. Between the two houses was a big pasture quickly being overgrown with juvenile alder. One afternoon when I came home from junior college, I found the pasture had new occupants. A mixed bag of alpine, Nubian and other assorted goats. One was a young billy that climbed the corner brace in the fence and hopped out and destroyed our garden. The goat's name was Buster Brown. The first time I found Buster in the yard, I also found a very upset wife who had been working on the garden. I put a tether on the goat and took him up to Earle (the landlord) and told him what happened. Earle says "That's once".

We replanted the garden, bought new strawberry plants and all was good. Except Buster Brown did his thing again. I took him back to Earle who said "That's twice". A few hours later Earle knocked on the door with a tub of feshly butchered Buster Brown. There weren't any three strikes with Earle.