NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Non-fishing related

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
My weeds are still thriving (but harder to kill for some reason).

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Still getting carrots, brussels sprouts and potatoes out of the garden.
We do potatoes in containers, so just rummage around in the pot for a handful as needed.

RCF

Life of the Party
We had a vegetable garden for a number of years. Between the deer and the rabbits we took it out and planted flowers that attracted bees and hummingbirds. Worked quite well too. For some reason my wife decided to have me take that garden out and plant grass instead.

So for 2024 I am growing grass...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My goal in 2024 is to grow fresh herbs, cilantro, chives, parsley etc.

I started doing that the past few years and have really enjoyed it. Having things like fresh cilantro for tacos and basil to go with my tomatoes right outside the door is super easy and convenient.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
When you see how much they charge for little boxes of dried herbs, you could argue the best gardening roi is growing herbs...
Store by me had a box with like 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary for 4.99. The packaging cost more than the herbs did by far.
You can get a whole plant for that, and like a lot of herbs they are weeds, and grow like them.
🤣

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
When you see how much they charge for little boxes of dried herbs, you could argue the best gardening roi is growing herbs...
Store by me had a box with like 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary for 4.99. The packaging cost more than the herbs did by far.
You can get a whole plant for that, and like a lot of herbs they are weeds, and grow like them.
🤣
Bay- I planted it at 1 ft tall, when it reached 7 feet tall I topped it down to 3 feet. 2 years later it's up to 10 feet and getting chopped down to 5 feet and shaped like a lollipop. Gonna have myself a bay plant topiary.

Speaking of which, anyone want a crap load of fresh bay leaves?

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I planted 183 cloves garlic in mid-October; 100% success, and now the plants are up about 8 inches. It'll die back over the brutal upper Midwest winter, but will come back and be ready to harvest by the end of June, at which I'll plant that patch with an aspirational set of bush beans. Whether they produce before first frost, time will tell.
I've got perennial sage, rosemary, thyme, and oregano that are all inside for the winter, in front of a west-facing window. Come spring I'll regularly plant cilantro and Italian parsley. I'm also going to add dill.
I've already made my garden plan for 2024, in addition to the garlic/beans above:
  • Green onions, in a long narrow planter or two
  • Onions, in the ground, I hope to be able to plant 50+ but it'll depend on the space
  • Shallots, just a few for a proof of concept
  • Yellow pear and black Tuva tomatoes.
  • Loofah gourd and bitter melon, seeds for which my wife brought from China last month
  • But the main thing will be two kinds of pole beans, Kentucky Wonder and scarlet runner beans that have been sitting in a plastic bag in my fridge for 10+ years. I grew the latter this past summer and had mixed success; good germination and flowering but poor production. The pods finally came on but too late for a good harvest. It seemed the butterflies and hummingbirds keyed into them, but only after flowers had been on the vines for a month or more.
My garden space is really limited, considering my home is on 3/4 of an acre. 45 trees over 50' limit light quite a bit. I'd say my total garden space is about the size of a master bedroom - not including the walk-in closet or bathroom!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Things slowed down a bit of course when it got frigid but just a pause. Feb 4th and the Indian Plum and Skunk Cabbage are already poppin’ in my extended yard in the Puget Lowlands (woods near my house).4D16906C-F73E-4691-86A6-8E8204B307AC.jpegFB0C0214-784B-4A3C-9D9D-3C0397AFB541.jpeg
My Camas popped up in my front yard, too.