NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
2 of my 4 recommendations were once rules in the mlb. So no, not take the baseball out of baseball.

You know you should really watch some baseball historically. I think you’d be flabbergasted how the games changed through the years and likely wouldn’t be so pedestal prone.

I might have watched baseball historically. I started listening to it in 1946 when there were great announcers and was playing Little League baseball in 1948. I have watched baseball since the advent of television, if anything happened historically in the past 75 years I have been aware of it.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The DH is an abomination - I like that players need to contribute on both at the plate and in the field.
Honestly from what I've seen most pitchers can't bat worth a shit, never will, and are nothing more than an easy out for the other team. It's embarrassing to watch them and I'm sure it's embarrassing for them. Save all of us the misery of going through the motions "for the sake of the game". I know it's going to ruin an opportunity to run for beers but let athletes do what they do best, not what they do worst. It's like trying to make figure skaters do pole vaulting. When that once in a generation player comes along let him be known as the starting pitcher/DH.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I think we should let point guards or shooting guards come off the bench for free throws when the center draws a shooting foul.
Would that include shooting for the floppers?
I think we should ban professional basket ball.

cody-

Steelhead
This isn't just about pitchers not being well-rounded hitters (though there's still plenty they can do to get on base even if they aren't raking). But DH's get to neglect half of the game as well without any consequence to their team. We're a few small steps away from letting teams field 18 on a starting lineup with completely different players for batting and the field à la football. Baseball players should be playing baseball, not half of it.

B

bennysbuddy

Honestly from what I've seen most pitchers can't bat worth a shit, never will, and are nothing more than an easy out for the other team. It's embarrassing to watch them and I'm sure it's embarrassing for them. Save all of us the misery of going through the motions "for the sake of the game". I know it's going to ruin an opportunity to run for beers but let athletes do what they do best, not what they do worst. It's like trying to make figure skaters do pole vaulting. When that once in a generation player comes along let him be known as the starting pitcher/DH.
pitchers can always bunt if they need too.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
pitchers can always bunt if they need too.
Barely. They are mostly batting because it's the rules. Management doesn't enjoy watching all their guaranteed salaried arms out there risking themselves facing a pitcher and running bases and sliding into second or rounding third to a waiting catcher. Money rules. Hence the DH.

B

bennysbuddy

Barely. They are mostly batting because it's the rules. Management doesn't enjoy watching all their guaranteed salaried arms out there risking themselves facing a pitcher and running bases and sliding into second or rounding third to a waiting catcher. Money rules. Hence the DH.
before 1973 that was the risk of playing baseball

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I think it is interesting to separate the different issues in the game today. One- which we are discussing here- is the "integrity of the game". The second- the stuff that the lockout is focused on- is outside of that. They are labor issues (right?). Luxury taxes, minimum salaries, roster continuity(?!?)...

Baseball has always had the best contracts of any sport. In football, most players that get cut in the middle of a season will have their contract terminated, though the players can't cut ties with the organization for any reason. In contrast, Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets! Baseball players have it pretty good.

Check this out: https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/bobby-bonilla-day-july-1-mets-mlb-deferred-payments

So whether it is money or TV contracts or evolution of the game, baseball has a set of identity crises brewing.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
W, you are leaving out one important aspect-it is a team game and a pitcher is part of the team. Without him the game is just a track meet. Position players usually can't pitch for shit either. The beauty of the game has always been the strategy of managing the lineup to present the best players to offset the opposing team. The DH is a cop out, it just allows guys that can no longer run or field to stay in the game years longer and take up space that would be better filled by a younger and more versatile player. You could make a case that pitchers and quarterbacks hold a similar importance as far as getting injured is concerned but quarterbacks have the possibility of a career ending injury on every play yet there is little to defend them but a strong offensive line. They take a helluva beating. Pitchers on the other hand are seldom injured by the game itself, usually more by mechanical issues with their delivery. Pitchers would hit a lot better if there was emphasis on them being part of the offense instead of just being a prima donna that is as fragile as a spring flower.

Baseball rules always called for a 9 man team but American League rules expand that to 10 with the DH. Using that logic, football teams should be able to play 12 men on defense to protect their precious quarterbacks.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Position players usually can't pitch for shit either.
Why do they get a pass on not having to do something they're not good at and pitchers shouldn't.
Well...if we are going to have pitchers hit then we should have position players pitch. Spread it around switch positions every inning and make those pitchers field too...wouldn't need a bullpen.

B

bennysbuddy

Why do they get a pass on not having to do something they're not good at and pitchers shouldn't.
Well...if we are going to have pitchers hit then we should have position players pitch. Spread it around switch positions every inning and make those pitchers field too...wouldn't need a bullpen.
that would give the Mariners' a chance at a spot in the world series , this might make for some real entertainment

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Change is scary, I know.

All of this strategy talk doesn't amount to a hill of beans if drug testing is eliminated. IMO that's what could ruin the game, not the fact that we are no longer forced to watch some stupid pitcher flail around at the plate.

And I like @_WW_ idea. If pitchers are forced to hit then fielders should be forced to pitch. Talk about strategy.

B

bennysbuddy

Change is scary, I know.

All of this strategy talk doesn't amount to a hill of beans if drug testing is eliminated. IMO that's what could ruin the game, not the fact that we are no longer forced to watch some stupid pitcher flail around at the plate.

And I like @_WW_ idea. If pitchers are forced to hit then fielders should be forced to pitch. Talk about strategy.
Tug McGraw a former MLB pitcher stated in a interview before his death, that there was a lot of drug testing by players in the 70's. I bet there still is some drug testing going on today.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys appreciate the game at all. There is nothing stupid about the pitchers, they not only throw hard but have to field their position as well. They are about 30 feet closer to the plate than the other infielders and have to field shots coming at them over 100mph. So yeah-pitchers are an important part of the 9 man team and even if they don't bat well it all evens out because pitchers on the other teams don't bat well either. There is not that much difference between a pitcher that tries to hit well and a banjo-hitting middle infielder that has a .209 lifetime average but can turn the double play with the best of them. As Mumbles so eloquently said: "The DH is bullshit".

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Adding a DH will all even out, because the other team has a DH as well.

A portion of the people commenting in this thread weren't alive prior to the introduction of the DH, or were too young to remeber the change. I dont think this is the end of the game as we know it.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
The DH is bullshit.

As an NL guy, never been a fan of the DH.

I don't think this is the end of the game.

Atlanta Braves are still the reigning world champs.

fNhr638u_o.gif

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
I see both sides. Watching a pitcher bat isnt highly entertaining, however, it adds alot more strategy to the game as far as what you do with the 2nd half of your lineup and when to pull a pitcher in relation to how it affects your offense. I don't like to see the game ruled by homeruns, I like the strategy aspect. In today's age of gaming, we want results quickly, not a long drawn out strategic action. Chess vs Checkers...I liked the old NL rules