NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Looking forward to the USFL season kicking off in April.
If the baseball season gets cancelled, no loss to me.
SF

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I worked for a living I used to follow Baseball. Was a Atlanta fan with their quality pitchers. Now a days I couldn't tell who was playing on the Mariners.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If the baseball season gets cancelled, no loss to me.
SF

Perhaps no loss to you but for the 45 million people that attended MLB games last year and another 100 million plus that watched from home it is a big deal. Baseball is a part of Americana whether you like it or not. Baseball, apple pie, the 4th of July and Mother's Day are woven into the very fabric of this country, the loss of any one is not good.

Sadly, baseball is killing itself fueled by greed, TV money and numbers guys telling managers how to manage. The hurry-up-and-play contingent with their short attention span and need for constant stimulation want to put time constraints on a game that is basically a chess match played by guys with the skill and finesse of a ballerina. The modern game with it's emphasis on home runs, strike outs and infield shifts isn't playing well at the box office. In 2019 over 68 million went to MLB games, by last year that number had fallen to 45 million and will certainly be much less this year. Giving 300 million dollar salaries to super stars, relative peanuts to lesser players and food stamps to minor league players doesn't seem like self sustaining policy.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Perhaps no loss to you but for the 45 million people that attended MLB games last year and another 100 million plus that watched from home it is a big deal. Baseball is a part of Americana whether you like it or not. Baseball, apple pie, the 4th of July and Mother's Day are woven into the very fabric of this country, the loss of any one is not good.

Sadly, baseball is killing itself fueled by greed, TV money and numbers guys telling managers how to manage. The hurry-up-and-play contingent with their short attention span and need for constant stimulation what to put time constraints on a game that is basically a chess match played by guys with the skill and finesse of a ballerina. The modern game with it's emphasis on home runs, strike outs and infield shifts isn't playing well at the box office. In 2019 over 68 million went to MLB games, by last year that number had fallen to 45 million and will certainly be much less this year. Giving 300 million dollar salaries to super stars, relative peanuts to lesser players and food stamps to minor league players doesn't seem like self sustaining policy.

Today’s baseball is a boring game.
Bring back the likes of Bob Gibson and others like him and maybe I’d get interested again.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Meh...
Apple pie is overrated IMHO.
Baseball, like a lot of pro sports (to me anyway) is killing itself. They've become a boring way to spend 3 hours.
I lost interest decades ago, but the whole Astros fiasco just shows MLB has no interest in the integrity of the game. The commissioner seems to be a weak tool of owners, they should probably lose their anti trust exemption. Perhaps disruption of the entire system is in order, and something new can replace the current one.
Billionaires, millionaires....really could care less about their 'problems' .

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Meh...
Apple pie is overrated IMHO.
Baseball, like a lot of pro sports (to me anyway) is killing itself. They've become a boring way to spend 3 hours.
I lost interest decades ago, but the whole Astros fiasco just shows MLB has no interest in the integrity of the game. The commissioner seems to be a weak tool of owners, they should probably lose their anti trust exemption. Perhaps disruption of the entire system is in order, and something new can replace the current one.
Billionaires, millionaires....really could care less about their .
Dodgers $195 million in 2021 payroll

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
What a shame… :cool:
SF

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The league on both sides, has so much work to do.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
“Ghost Wins” ….what a fucked up sport to even propose or consider such a thing.
SF

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
The time issue about baseball is nonsense. Football, for example:play 10 seconds, have a meeting. Play 30 more seconds-tv timeout. Review a play. Oh, yeah, two minute warning. Rugby players think all that is flat bullshit. Too much waiting? Ever watch curling?

But, mlb baseball owners and the players are killing the golden goose. Every time the m’s put a team together the season gets f$&/!ed.

Well I love the game. Ittplayed on high school and little kid league fields all over the country. Thats where I’m going.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
They better get this figured out. I'm ready to defend our title.

fNhr638u_o.gif