NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

cody-

Steelhead
Baseball season might happen, but it won't be the same. The post-season won't be the same with a universal DH. The strategy around pitching and pinch hitters made baseball what it was, especially when it was all on the line.

Just glad the Braves won the last true World Series. Chop on 🪓🪓🪓

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Baseball season might happen, but it won't be the same. The post-season won't be the same with a universal DH. The strategy around pitching and pinch hitters made baseball what it was, especially when it was all on the line.

I concede the strategy point in some ABs in some games. When it happens, it's glorious and riveting to me. I'd argue that this happens in maybe 10% of at bats through a season and only a couple handfuls in a postseason.

Outside of those instances, it's objectively terrible baseball (with exception of Ohtani). I'd much rather see a professional hitter swing it. More enjoyable, played at a higher level.

For me, this ratio makes me like the universal DH, but as long as a team can play without one so we can watch Shohei be the best in the world.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Play the Mariners 95 highlight film again and all will be well…. My Oh No!
SF

cody-

Steelhead
I concede the strategy point in some ABs in some games. When it happens, it's glorious and riveting to me. I'd argue that this happens in maybe 10% of at bats through a season and only a couple handfuls in a postseason.

Outside of those instances, it's objectively terrible baseball (with exception of Ohtani). I'd much rather see a professional hitter swing it. More enjoyable, played at a higher level.

For me, this ratio makes me like the universal DH, but as long as a team can play without one so we can watch Shohei be the best in the world.
Shohei is amazing and I wish the Angels all the best. However, shouldn't Shohei - as the perfect baseball player - be the aspiration of future stars?? Top pitchers are halves are great baseball players, and top DH's less than that. Let's see baseball players play baseball.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Shohei is amazing and I wish the Angels all the best. However, shouldn't Shohei - as the perfect baseball player - be the aspiration of future stars?? Top pitchers are halves are great baseball players, and top DH's less than that. Let's see baseball players play baseball.
Well sure, they should aspire to, but it's not like they haven't been aspiring to be that phenomenal at both for as long as the game's been around. It's not for lack of trying that we don't have lots of Ohtanis. Plus if a team can still play without one, let the players tip it back the other way if they are good enough.

Divad

Whitefish
Go back to a smaller pitching roster cap, cap mound visits, overtime is played with 3 infielders and 2 out, and go back to a less raked mound by taking a little off the top.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Go back to a smaller pitching roster cap, cap mound visits, overtime is played with 3 infielders and 2 out, and go back to a less raked mound by taking a little off the top.
and turn the sprinklers on ! (+free beer and hot dogs past 9 innings. all you can eat !)

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead

A6K2zEfZ_o.gif

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Both sides(silently) agreed its better for baseball if they DON'T test for steroids.
Going forward there is no more drug testing.
Steroids are soon to be the norm for baseball(again).

Damn, this game has gone to shit!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Both sides(silently) agreed its better for baseball if they DON'T test for steroids.
Going forward there is no more drug testing.
Steroids are soon to be the norm for baseball(again).

Damn, this game has gone to shit!

Wut?

That's insane.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In other words, take the baseball out of baseball and make it strictly a made-for-TV game show that fits precisely into a finite time slot. It sounds ugly and contrived to me. What's next-the "Over 300# Miss America" contest?

Baseball isn't for everybody but I would prefer it remain for baseball fans and not become a revisionist hybrid entertainment product. It is so simple-if you don't like it don't watch it, there are other products for the sports fan out there that don't require 9 months of attention or 3 hours at a time to appreciate. Admittedly it is not perfect, the statistics are bogus because it isn't played on a uniform playing surface like most other sports. And the quality of umpiring has sunk to a new low with aging fat umpires being too prevalent and making horrible calls on balls and strikes. I don't see them ever correcting the stadium problem and making every playing surface the same but the umpire situation can be improved with electronic ball and strike counts and hiring umpires that are closer in age and visual acuity to the players.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I had my favorite players over the years that I watched the game. As in football and baseball. But lately the teams swap players and now I can't keep up with it. I guess I just let it all fall to the side. I couldn't tell anybody who's on first.

cody-

Steelhead
I had my favorite players over the years that I watched the game. As in football and baseball. But lately the teams swap players and now I can't keep up with it. I guess I just let it all fall to the side. I couldn't tell anybody who's on first.
This is my #1 complaint about college football these days. You now got "student" athletes starting at 3 different schools over 3 years, then declaring for the draft. It's unrestricted free agency with unrestricted amounts of money being thrown around. Everyone likes to talk about how traditions make college sports great but at the biggest schools that have the most tradition, that's all but dead with how the transfer portal is operating.

Don't even get me started on this new trend of building new special dorms and dining halls just for "student" athletes...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'm kind of a traditionalist here. The DH is an abomination - I like that players need to contribute on both at the plate and in the field. I love a game with extra innings, the more the better. I still remember that 25 inning Astros game back in the mid-2000s. Used all your pitchers? too bad, put the second baseman who pitched in college on the mound.

Get to the park early for batting practice. Stand behind the dugout, chat with the players, maybe catch a foul ball. On the other end of the spectrum, I love going to the single-A Hops games. Although, I feel for the players, knowing that it would take a miracle for a player starting in single-A to get to the majors.

Now, if we could just get corporate names off the parks. But, I guess that just a reminder for cranks like me that it's all about the money in the end.

Divad

Whitefish
In other words, take the baseball out of baseball and make it strictly a made-for-TV game show that fits precisely into a finite time slot. It sounds ugly and contrived to me. What's next-the "Over 300# Miss America" contest?

Baseball isn't for everybody but I would prefer it remain for baseball fans and not become a revisionist hybrid entertainment product. It is so simple-if you don't like it don't watch it, there are other products for the sports fan out there that don't require 9 months of attention or 3 hours at a time to appreciate. Admittedly it is not perfect, the statistics are bogus because it isn't played on a uniform playing surface like most other sports. And the quality of umpiring has sunk to a new low with aging fat umpires being too prevalent and making horrible calls on balls and strikes. I don't see them ever correcting the stadium problem and making every playing surface the same but the umpire situation can be improved with electronic ball and strike counts and hiring umpires that are closer in age and visual acuity to the players.
2 of my 4 recommendations were once rules in the mlb. So no, not take the baseball out of baseball.

You know you should really watch some baseball historically. I think you’d be flabbergasted how the games changed through the years and likely wouldn’t be so pedestal prone.