Search results

1. Travis Bille

Who’s this little feller?

I was fishing the Holy Water stretch about a week ago and this letter feller floated past me. Too small and early to be a salmon fly or golden stone, but unfamiliar with the other stonefly species in the river
  2. Travis Bille

Diamond Lake

Oh hey, it’s you guys again! How’s it going? 5 weeks in Southern Oregon and I finally had time to wet a line. I pulled the drift boat up to Diamond Lake despite a less than favorable forecast and I was handsomely rewarded. I got a few rainbows right off the bat that were just fine, nothing...
  3. Travis Bille

SFR Going back home

Well, my time in Humboldt County is coming to a close. My daughter's mom has been planning a move to Southern Oregon for a while and my daughter wanted to go with. I did the whole custody battle thing this year, fighting and spending tons of money to get as much time as possible with her, and...
  4. Travis Bille

Road Trip/ East Lake

Took a road trip up to Winthrop, WA with the 11 year old girl. We started out a day later than planned, Saturday 6/24. I unfortunately had a celebration of life for someone I grew up with who was killed in an avalanche in March on Paulina Peak. RIP Hef. Strangely enough, our first planned...
  5. Travis Bille

Halfhearted Holy Water

My best friend and I went out to the Holy Water stretch of the Rogue River over Memorial Day weekend. We had both of our kids. My 11 year old girl can hang, and doesn’t need to be watched too much, but his 5 year old son is a ball of energy and requires supervision. So, it wasn’t a trip focused...
  6. Travis Bille

McCloud River rainbows

Interesting little read about the McCloud a river rainbows being identified officially as a subspecies https://phys.org/news/2023-03-rainbow-trout-subspecies-newly.html
  7. Travis Bille

Road trip with daughter- Eastern WA suggestions?

I've got a family reunion in Winthrop the last week of June. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the previous week off an road trip up through Central Oregon with my 11 year old girl and spend a few days at my old favorite haunts near Bend, such as East and Crane Prarie. We'll most likely be...
  8. Travis Bille

Mission Bay, CA

The fishing was slow, but San Diego is really cool. I rented one of those electric scooters and cruised around with the flyrod and hit a bunch of different spots. I'm really impressed with San Diego. Everyone I met was nice, the weather was amazing, I saw a fantastic rockabilly show, and ate...
  9. Travis Bille

First flies!

We all post pictures of badass flies. Or flies, in my case. But most of us tie and we catch fish with them. My 10 year old daughter has been really in to tying lately. Like I’ll come in to the room and she’s tying, I didn’t encourage her. It’s awesome! I showed her some of my awful first...
  10. Travis Bille

San Diego DIY suggestions?

I'm going to briefly be in San Diego for a conference in a few weeks. My hotel is right in the bay, adjacent to the airport, so, right on the salt. I've been combing around for info on the saltwater opportunities and they look pretty great. However, I won't have much time to fish, probably...
  11. Travis Bille

Almost learned a very hard lesson yesterday

I almost got beaten by a mob for calling out poachers. My daughter was a contestant at the Orick Rodeo in Orick, CA. The rodeo grounds are right next to redwood creek and about a mile from redwood national park. We were camping there with several acquaintances from horse back, and a bunch of...
  12. Travis Bille

DIY Urban Fly Fishing New Orleans

It looks like I'll have an opportunity to spend a few days in New Orleans in December. I'll have some work obligations but I'll probably have at least a day to run around and goof off. Naturally I'm going to bring a fly rod. I won't have a car so probably I'll be in the city proper on foot bike...
  13. Travis Bille

Birthday/Father's day backpacking in the Trinity Alps

After going through the spring uncertain if I would be able to have an active summer due to a pretty bad knee/femur injury; I've been feeling pretty good. I had done some decent workouts, and was feeling reasonably confident I'd be able to take the 10 year old daughter up to my favorite...
  14. Travis Bille

Redding

Caddis were poppin! I only took a picture of a few of the fish I landed. I got one that was taller than my hand. It’s fun right now!!
  15. Travis Bille

Up Sac and Low Sac

I frigged up my knee playing soccer, at 34 but thinking I’m 20. It was going to happen eventually. I live in Humboldt county, CA. Cheaper and better MRI services are available in Redding, I’m scheduled for tomorrow, and weather in Humboldt was terrible. I decided to head over to Redding for the...
  16. Travis Bille

Mobile Bay/Fowl River, Alabama

Just a quick report from a few days ago. My dad and daughter took a charter trip out of mobile bay, fishing for redfish and speckled trout. I was of course the one who stubbornly fly fished the whole time. I immediately caught a speckle trout on a chartreuse clouser and figure today was going...
  17. Travis Bille

Mobile, Alabama area gulf fishing

I'm going to be headed to Dauphin Island, Alabama for a few days and I'm of course bringing a fly rod. I guess redfish and speckled trout can be caught from the beach. I'm bringing some clousers and shrimpy patterns. Has anybody fished in this area before? Any advice on flies or tactics? Thanks!
  18. Travis Bille

Golden Trout Wilderness

I'm starting to try to get the summer plans figured out and a trip to the Goldens in the Sierra had been on the radar for quite a while. I'd probably be there in the last two weeks of July, roughly. My plan was to focus on the Cottonwood lakes rather than charge WAAAAY in for more difficult to...
  19. Travis Bille

Bobo

Should he be the formal, official mascot of the new forum?