McCloud River rainbows

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Interesting little read about the McCloud a river rainbows being identified officially as a subspecies

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I’ve long wanted to fish the McCloud. Very cool stuff.

BigJohnJohn

Gone Fishing
Forum Supporter
I was lucky enough to get a McCloud trout in Crane Creek in Missouri. I was surprised when I was down in that area that they have a naturally reproducing population. Small creek fishing but fun!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve long wanted to fish the McCloud. Very cool stuff.
Rocking hopping in the Conservancy (and above) is truly a delight.
Driving down the road from the town of McCloud. Not so much.

That whole area has a TON of family friendly things if you ever thought about getting down that way with the fam, you could easily spend a week (or more) and sneak away for a day/afternoon of fishing.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
was a blue ribbon fishery right up to the Cantara Loop train derailement in 91' which dumped 19,000 gallons of herbicide into the river. Absolutely devastated the river all the way to Lake Shasta, wiping out 100,000 fish, killing the plants and insects, and devastating the local tourist industry.

was a blue ribbon fishery right up to the Cantara Loop train derailement in 91' which dumped 19,000 gallons of herbicide into the river. Absolutely devastated the river all the way to Lake Shasta, wiping out 100,000 fish, killing the plants and insects, and devastating the local tourist industry.
I'm pretty sure this spill was in the Sacramento River, not the McCloud.

It sounds like the McCloud is separated into a section above the barrier falls, where this new subspecies is found, and below the falls, but above its confluence with the Sacramento (now inundated in Lake Shasta). I wonder where the brood stock for the McCloud rainbows that have been planted all over the world were obtained. I'm guessing below the falls and, thus, not this subspecies.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I was lucky enough to get a McCloud trout in Crane Creek in Missouri. I was surprised when I was down in that area that they have a naturally reproducing population. Small creek fishing but fun!

And I too, beautiful little fishing that creek.

Cheers

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
was a blue ribbon fishery right up to the Cantara Loop train derailement in 91' which dumped 19,000 gallons of herbicide into the river. Absolutely devastated the river all the way to Lake Shasta, wiping out 100,000 fish, killing the plants and insects, and devastating the local tourist industr
Richard is right, that was the Upper Sacramento River, which thankfully has recovered and is a great river again.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm pretty sure this spill was in the Sacramento River, not the McCloud.

It sounds like the McCloud is separated into a section above the barrier falls, where this new subspecies is found, and below the falls, but above its confluence with the Sacramento (now inundated in Lake Shasta). I wonder where the brood stock for the McCloud rainbows that have been planted all over the world were obtained. I'm guessing below the falls and, thus, not this subspecies.
Correct, it was the upper Sac.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The trout up top are very cool, especially on a light glass rod. But bring the 7 wt if you are going to chase the lake run browns in the lower river!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For as old a technology as trains I'm still amazed at the ability to keep crashing them. We can go to the moon but can't keep a train on a track?

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Seems to me, I recall they had been considered/listed...then de-listed...now listed again. smh
(old literature by Livingstone (I believe)...that included information on the first west coast hatchery, train/barrel transport, and stocking program of McCloud strain fish to the eastern states.)

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

Chile, Argentina, Australia, etc..the McCloud bow sure did get aound.

Otisdog

Smolt
For as old a technology as trains I'm still amazed at the ability to keep crashing them. We can go to the moon but can't keep a train on a track?
They figured out the physics of running trains more than a century ago. Modern day railroaders blame wall street's demand for ever increasing return on investment, and the resulting impact that it has on fewer train personnel and locomotives as the reason for current railroad operating issues.
The McCloud is a beautiful place. I've broken off some large ones there. It's also close to the Pit, Hat Creek and the Fall River, so you could easily spend a week in the area.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Richard is right, that was the Upper Sacramento River, which thankfully has recovered and is a great river again.
I fished the upper Sac last fall…there were plenty of bows in the river. With all the new water this year from rain and snowpack, it would be interesting to fish it again this fall…and I would also like to fish the McCloud as well