Golden Trout Wilderness

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I'm starting to try to get the summer plans figured out and a trip to the Goldens in the Sierra had been on the radar for quite a while. I'd probably be there in the last two weeks of July, roughly. My plan was to focus on the Cottonwood lakes rather than charge WAAAAY in for more difficult to reach lakes, but I'm open to suggestions.

Does anyone have anyinsight in to the area, either for fishing or just general impressions?

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I’ve done a lot of backpacking in that part of the eastern sierra, not so much fishing. Cottonwood is a beautiful basin, it can get crowded around the wooded lakes, but you can usually find seclusion above tree line.

Same area, but little further in, the rocky basin lakes impressed me. You can access the boreal plateau and funston lake if your comfortable going off trail - incredible scenery!

One of my favorites is a little further north and requires some elevation gain to get in, but well worth it. You can pm for details.

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cottonwoods are day hikeable so there is a lot of pressure. That said everyone seems to walk past the creek to fish the lakes. If Blue lines are your thing the creek is worth it. Up and over New Army gets you out of day use range. Never been over Trail or Mulkey