Almost learned a very hard lesson yesterday

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I almost got beaten by a mob for calling out poachers.

My daughter was a contestant at the Orick Rodeo in Orick, CA. The rodeo grounds are right next to redwood creek and about a mile from redwood national park. We were camping there with several acquaintances from horse back, and a bunch of other rodeo contestants. I went For a swim in the creek and some of the rodeo guys were fishing. Redwood creek is closed. I called them out on it. We argued back and forth a bit and one cast a spinner at me so I threatened to call the warden.

Then everything went nuts. A bunch of the rodeo people ganged up on me and threatened, several times, to kick my ass. It turned in to a mob mentality and I was essentially run out of the rodeo. Things were thrown at me. It was all in front of my daughter. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me.

Im mostly posting this as a PSA. I hate poachers but I should have shut my damn mouth this time. I was in the right, but I put myself and my daughter in a dangerous situation yesterday.

Be careful out there folks

TB

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
On the other hand, if more people did speak up the mob wouldn't feel so emboldened. With your daughter there that definitely changes things. Glad you are OK, and I admire your courage. People who act in a mob are cowards, they probably don't see themselves that way though.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The good news is that most of the rodeo guys will be too crippled up to walk, let alone poach, by their 50's.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

My daughter was a contestant at the Orick Rodeo in Orick, CA. The rodeo grounds are right next to redwood creek and about a mile from redwood national park. We were camping there with several acquaintances from horse back, and a bunch of other rodeo contestants. I went For a swim in the creek and some of the rodeo guys were fishing. Redwood creek is closed. I called them out on it. We argued back and forth a bit and one cast a spinner at me so I threatened to call the warden.

Then everything went nuts. A bunch of the rodeo people ganged up on me and threatened, several times, to kick my ass. It turned in to a mob mentality and I was essentially run out of the rodeo. Things were thrown at me. It was all in front of my daughter. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me.

Im mostly posting this as a PSA. I hate poachers but I should have shut my damn mouth this time. I was in the right, but I put myself and my daughter in a dangerous situation yesterday.

TB

Assholes. Real tough guys in a group. I normally would never mess with a man's rig but a mob isn't a man. Be a shame if ever rig there miraculously had all tires flat.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Glad you're OK. Even though it turned into a very scary situation, I'm sure your daughter is proud of you for doing the right thing.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter

TB
That could have gone very badly. I’m glad you and your daughter are ok. Sometimes it’s best to just walk away.

RichS

Life of the Party
When my daughter was young we were out bass fishing on the Yakima. Some young males came along and started pelting a muskrat with rocks. I wanted to scream at them, but managed to bite my lip, leave and call law enforcement. It feels weak but you have to do what it takes to ensure your family is safe.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I’m glad you and your daughter are safe. You did the right thing, you are setting an example for your girl. The rules matter in a civil society.

ABITNF

Steelhead
It's important to report these incidents and better to let those responsible for enforcement deal with it. Assholes like these guys feel entitled to do what they want and you won't convince them otherwise and worse you could get hurt. True some could say what's the use in reporting it as no one will respond. But it does help fund and staff the outfits responsible and maybe next year they can direct some patrol effort and public education in the area at the time of the event. Descriptions of the person and associated vehicle or vessel is important to identifying the bad guy to law enforcement. I know a bit about this sort of thing as I did the work for 35 years and liked nothing better than dealing with these types. Good on you for reporting it and glad you weren't hurt.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm really glad that you and your daughter are ok.

dflett68

Steelhead
glad you're both ok - that's what matters. making a point to the unteachable isn't worth that risk. imho, taking the regs seriously is obviously the right practice - but we do romanticize about THE LAW sometimes and fail to distinguish between which rules are arbitrary and not, which make a difference and which don't, and what's worth risking your skin for. civil rights? yes. a creek that some committee decided should be closed? not worth it. i disagree with the suggestion that we can peer-pressure people into compliance about these kinds of things in this era. we are a virtually shameless society now and everyone knows the cops aren't coming.

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
I almost had the same thing happen to me at Omak lake. The middle of nowhere with no cell service. A large group of Russians were poaching. Using bait, and keeping over their limits and undersized fish. They caught me taking pictures of their license plates. I barely made it out of there with my skin.
Glad no one was hurt over it. I would go to the rodeo committee and report their behavior, too. That type of behavior should get them kicked off the circuit.

Sakuramasu

Freshly Spawned
That is absolutely unacceptable behavior regardless of who was in the right, but to me it looks like the creek is open -

Open fourth Sat in May through March 31 subject to low flow. Per CDFW:

7.40(b)(77) Redwood Creek (Humboldt Co.). Also see Section 8.00(a) Low-Flow Restrictions.
(A) Redwood Creek main stem, within a radius of 200 yards of its mouth. Jan. 1 through Mar. 31. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**. 4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession.
(B) Redwood Creek main stem, from 200 yards above the mouth to the mouth of Prairie Creek. Fourth Sat. in May through Mar. 31. Only barbless hooks may be used. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**. 4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession.
(C) Redwood Creek main stem, from the mouth of Prairie Creek to the mouth of Bond Creek. Fourth Sat. in May through Mar. 31. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**. 4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession.

Flow info below (but not currently subject to low flow closure as I read the regs)