Search results

1. Roper

Wok thread

I love stir fry but only did it in a frying pan. So I decided to up my game and bought a honest to goodness real wok. I have to season it first but I’m eager to get started using it. I’m browsing recipes and sauces but I know there’s some good cooks here. So jump in and share some of your...
  2. Roper

Just ‘cuz

No ‘splaining, just bragging…
  3. Roper

WA non-profits trout related.

Next year I’ll have to take a sizable RMD from my 401k. I intend to donate most of it to 501 c’s to benefit them and avoid a big hit in taxes. So far I’ve chosen Habitat, Ruffed Grouse Society and Pheasants Forever. Are there any fish conservation groups for Washington?
  4. Roper

Who’d a thunk it…?

I spent a few days at the ranch. I met with my friend/builder on a few things. Got my check engine light analyzed and fixed, for free no less. Tuesday morning I hit Sidley to see how it wintered over. Much to my surprise it still was largely iced over. It sits at 3700 feet and drifts of snow are...
  5. Roper

Rescue, maybe…

@Islander texted me that he has a bamboo rod that needs a reel seat and maybe some grip repair. I’m prompting him to post some photos and get some feedback. Hold on…
  6. Roper

Sourdough

Mrs. Roper has been enjoying store bought sourdough and wants to try it on her own. What’s a good resource for how to get a starter going and recipes?
  7. Roper

Mule deer?

I’m not an expert on deer but this one on our morning walk stumped me. At first glance I thought it was a mulie, but the tail looks different, wider. Then the dark forelegs look odd too. Any ideas…?
  8. Roper

EDC…

Every day carry, not the firearm kind though. A recent flight brought to light what a creature of habit I am. I have three things I carry in my pants pockets every day. A knife, bottle opener, and nail clippers. And I use them a lot. Not having them on a plane with only carryon luggage left me...
  9. Roper

Birthday Bow

Yeah, I’m another year older, so what? I can still fish…the net is 24 inches long…
  10. Roper

Fall Fling

Friends gathered over the last few days to fish lakes in the Okanogan. Results were varied and colorful.
  11. Roper

$ burning a hole in my pocket

Well, that might be an exaggeration. I sold a motorcycle and have some fun money laying around. So far I bought a Springfield Armory 1911. Now I’m considering a nice but not horribly expensive bamboo rod. The one I inherited from my dad casts like crap, tip heavy. Should I search the Craigslist...
  12. Roper

A skunk and a Redneck

After morning chores I head up to the lake, nada, skunked. Trying to decide how long to stick around I hear this music coming from the north shore. Knowing the lake it‘s coming from a put in used by shore fishers, bait kind. Everyone has a right to fish there. But park your truck across the...
  13. Roper

Doves

I just did a burn an turn to the ranch near Oroville. Driving around and to and from I’m noticing a lot of doves. Being an old grouse hunter I’ve no idea about doves. But it seems to be a banner year for them. Anyone savvy that might share some insight? Early this morning many were at the road...
  14. Roper

Cocktail smoker…

I never heard of this until my daughter sent one to me as a gift. She had no idea how wrong that is for me. First, I don’t do cocktails and if I did why would I want to infuse it with smoke? But there are those that enjoy peated scotch like @Scott Salzer. Even he passed on the idea. So, is there...
  15. Roper

Recent article on WDFW

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/jul/12/sean-v-obrien-science-not-emotion-should-dictate-s/
  16. Roper

Not fly fishing but…

We had a great day shrimping in the San Juans yesterday thanks to Rick Todd (don’t know his username on the new board). We launched from Bellingham in a morning chop for the southwest corner of Orcas Island. Our luck was slow to get started but we kept at it for a decent haul. @Zak got his first...
  17. Roper

NFR 2007 Triumph Bonneville

Testing the waters here before I put it up on Craigslist. Very clean, freshly waxed and low mileage (6400, really). It’s the last year with carbs and airbox is removed with K&N’s installed. Bar end mirrors and tail rack. Soft luggage and spare tail pack. Triumph Off-road pipes, louder than...
  18. Roper

Slow morning

I’m up in the Okanogan to fish before the lakes get too warm. Luckily, evening temps are still in the low 50’s and the lakes in the higher elevations are still chilly. But that doesn’t mean you’re knocking ‘em dead. It was a slow morning with 2 O&O’s and one to the net. But this one made it...
  19. Roper

Dad’s Herter is revived.

The Herters I posted about and the 1495 Medalist is fishing again. Two days ago we were at Lost Lake and I brought the rod and reel with new backing and DT6W line. I tied a chironomid under an indicator and had at it. A missed takedown and an O&O was the start. @Irafly had worked up a zone and...
  20. Roper

Yesterday and today

So, I headed to a local lake that holds Lahontan’s, that was yesterday. We won’t go into the sordid details but it has to do with trolling motors and fly lines. My day was cut very short as I returned home to untangle things. Today I planned on returning but the “W” had different plans for me...