Mule deer?

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I’m not an expert on deer but this one on our morning walk stumped me. At first glance I thought it was a mulie, but the tail looks different, wider. Then the dark forelegs look odd too. Any ideas…?

IMG_8603.jpeg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Looks like a mulie to me. They have the wasting disease up there? I've seen it alter the coloring/appearance quite a bit before.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
My immediate thought was a little Blacktail. Was this over in Okanogan, or here on the Wet Side?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Blacktail.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
My immediate thought was a little Blacktail. Was this over in Okanogan, or here on the Wet Side?
South Everett, I started thinking blacktail also…but thought they were on the peninsula.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
South Everett, I started thinking blacktail also…but thought they were on the peninsula.
Oh they're not just on the Peninsula, all the Puget sound deer are blacktails too. I'm not sure how far up the cascade slope they range, but I think pretty far.

(Technically they are blacktail mule deer, but a different species from the mule deer on the other side of the pass.)

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Oh they're not just on the Peninsula, all the Puget sound deer are blacktails too. I'm not sure how far up the cascade slope they range, but I think pretty far.

(Technically they are blacktail mule deer, but a different species from the mule deer on the other side of the pass.)
Yeah, we have mule deer at the ranch above Oroville. The tail is thinner at the root and look like the tip was dipped in black.
Whitetail too…
IMG_5498.jpeg

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I started thinking blacktail also…but thought they were on the peninsula.
I have seen lots of Blacktails in the Klickitat drainage.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Oh definitely blacktail then. For whatever reason I was thinking this pic was from your other home. Blacktail wasn't even on my radar.