Search results

1. B

2024 WA Coastal Steelhead Regs

I never said any of that. My point was the data cited was bad and shouldn't be considered gospel in order to set policy. 150% of the run could have been caught for all we know. Or 70% or 40%. Further, all this tribalism around types of gear is tiresome. Long boards vs short boards, skis vs snow...
  2. B

That is used extrapolate angler impacts. It doesn't tell you the run size. So both the numerator and denominator are poor data that would not be used to make serious policy decisions in other fields.
  3. B

Sounds like you're quoting John McMillan's presentation on the Sol Duc from several years ago. Having seen first hand how the run size is estimated, I have very little confidence in the headline.
  4. B

Non-Fly Centerpin Thread

Same here. It pretty exciting with a hot springer on the other end of the string. In addition to the lack of drag, there is also the lack of a thick fly line moving through the water which makes the fights a good bit zippier.
  5. B

Basically ticking a piece of lead along the bottom with a bait or some sort attached as the boat drifts with the current. Where power is permitted, boats will do laps over the best spots. On rivers like the Cowlitz, there will be a convoy of big jet boats with a bunch of people in them doing...
  6. B

I'm probably the last one to be able to divine the intent in WDFW decisions and they don't seem super interested in explaining... I'm having lunch with a friend from TU/WSI next week so this will definitely be part of our discussion. He's _also_ a good guy, and angler and cares about the...
  7. B

7 vs 8 wt for PDX area winter steelhead?

Slow retrieve. Yes and uhhg... I have a 2X multiplier Niagara Drifter that is basically the Olsen of centerpin reels which helps but it's effing heavy so it stays at home except for Springer season. I'm a bit of a pin nut and I'm pretty sure I have the most expensive whitefish-specific...
  8. B

7 vs 8 wt for PDX area winter steelhead?

I had the LeCie 6/7, 7/8, and 8/9 back in the day. Those were killer rods that I wish I still had in the quiver. I still have one of the funky LPXe switch rods in 6/7 with the weird extendable handle. It's more like a 5/6 in US terms and is an awesome heavier trout-spey substitute.
  9. B

We're all entitled to our opinions, but have either of you talked to anyone in the OPGA and asked them? I have a few very close friends in that group and they are smart, thoughtful people that care a lot about the fish and probably do more in support of the resource than most on this board...
  10. B

Non-Fly Centerpin Thread

Sweet! Nice looking river. Very similar to my homewater. I probably fish with a pin more than anything else so looking forward to the thread.
  11. B

NFR Rivian R1T Driven Yesterday

It requires actual reading... but Vaclav Smil's books on energy and oil are a very solid and grounding on the historical context and basic underlying issues to this discussion.
  12. B

NEWS RELEASE Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Nov. 30, 2023 Contact: Coastal Region – Montesano, 360-249-4628 Media contact: Bridget Mire, 564-224-0845 WDFW announces 2023-2024 coastal steelhead season Department to test fishing from a floating device in some waters...
  13. B

College Football 2023

According to the pundits, UW is going to the Fiesta Bowl where they get their asses kicked by Bama (again). I hope not though. The last time, my Husky alum wife got her revenge multi-fold over time. My hootin’ an hollerin’ during the came probably didn’t help. Roll Tide!
  14. B

College Football 2023

Dammit, these guys are going to give me a heart attack and an ulcer. Nice to have some Kick-Six revenge with the 'Corner 30'. Gonna need to play a million times better to have a chance against Georgia next week. Roll Tide!
  15. B

2025... https://expeditionportal.com/the-impressive-2025-ramcharger-is-a-series-hybrid-billed-as-an-ev/
  16. B

I'm an admitted car nut and am much better at buying them than I am at keeping them. I was recently in the market for an offroad capable SUV and after 3 Wranglers and a Gladiator, decided go go to something different. I looked very close at Rivians T and S but decided not to go that route due...
  17. B

Dismal on the 'Duc - Coho management failure

Thanks Curt! Always appreciate getting the benefit of your experience. I work in a data-oriented field but nothing near fisheries/conservation so it's always good to get an informed perspective. Ocean survival... whether the environment, unregulated fishing, or whatever else. I always come...
  18. B

Curt- Thanks for weighing in. I agree with you completely. And, habitat isn't really the driving issue on the river system in this thread or the other WA North Coast river systems. While there is some clear cutting, it's generally not close to the river, there isn't much/any diking...
  19. B

This is the thing that has to change if we want material improvements. It's also the thing that no one, including the NGOs, seem to be working on in a meaningful way as far as I can tell.
  20. B

Yes - wild coho too as they are available to harvest unlike springers (another pain point for me), but that's very aligned to my perspective and is why the whole thing is so disappointing. If it was a one-off, it'd suck and I'd hope for better next time but it seems like every season has a...