College Football 2023

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Already many stating they are entering the portal including a couple notable qbs. Kid from Indiana and Van Dyke from Miami. More to follow I’m sure. It’s not really a portal it’s the damn self selected waiver line. Sure DeLaura AZ qb in on that again. He’s not getting his job back from Nifiata (sp?)

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Already many stating they are entering the portal including a couple notable qbs. Kid from Indians and Van Dyke from Miami. More to follow I’m sure. It’s not really a portal it’s the damn self selected waiver line. Sure DeLaura AZ qb in on that again. He’s not getting his job back from Nifiata (sp?)

Will Rogers from Mississippi St is hitting the portal. He has graduated and is number two all time in passing yards in the SEC. He was hurt this year but had a couple monster years (21 & 22) playing for Mike Leach.
Huskies need a new QB next year. 😂
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
It is like free-agents now (has always been that way for coaches with the minor inconvenience of contract buyouts). The player will go wherever the highest NIL contract is. But remember NILs are NOT contracts with the university but with the outside boosters who formed the NIL group.
Steve

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
For all the cussing and discussing, I think the NIL is a good thing. The major conferences have been paying players for awhile, P12 literally was not buying in and got left in the dust. Now with NIL and then transfer rules, the P12 is getting back to relevance just in time to be put out to pasture....sorry, not sorry.

Alot of these kids careers would be done if it wasn't for the portal. There are alot of pretty cool stories of these guys transferring because their talents were being wasted and picked up by a coach that had a niche for them. That kid who leads the SEC in rushing from Mizzou is a great story.

Im pumped for the B10 and expanded playoffs, can't wait.

I will always love the way that it used to be, alas, time marches on

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I get it. But it takes away from developing players. Use to be coaching and strength conditioning turned a scrawny 6’3” 175 lber in to a potential Sunday player three-four years later at 6’3.5” and 240lber. The ‘insta grata de-play-great now’ has eliminated a lot of late bloomers per se….college coaching has become strictly Saturday performance testing and you have 25-30 games to prove it. No time to build a program any more. 😔

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I get it. But it takes away from developing players.
I think it helps the late bloomers or kids that just need a different atmosphere to succeed.

Transfer from a non successful situation at one school to another where you can polish your skill set for another two seasons. Lead your team to the final PAC12 championships and possibly the CFP. Be a top Heisman candidate.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I agree the new commissioner didn’t help, but it was the presidents and chancellors that ultimately caused the demise of the PAC 12.
First they kept Luxury Larry Scott in power for way too long then got greedy by turning down ESPN’s initial contract offer, thinking they could get more.
Once USC and UCLA left and they lost the LA tv market, the writing was on the wall. Sorry, but San Diego St wasn’t going to make up for the loss of the two LA schools had they joined the conference.
As far as coaches salary goes, I believe Smith was making $4.8 million per year and would have gotten a raise had he stayed. Not bad coin for Corvallis. 😉 Not sure what he is getting at MSU, but I’m sure it is well north of what he was making at OSU.
SF
What happened to building something (school, program, students). Money isn’t everything and the grass isn’t always greener. In the end, Smith will come away with… would have/could have, regrets, and a sense of deflation/emptiness.
😉

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think it helps the late bloomers or kids that just need a different atmosphere to succeed.

Transfer from a non successful situation at one school to another where you can polish your skill set for another two seasons. Lead your team to the final PAC12 championships and possibly the CFP. Be a top Heisman candidate.
DaBoer was able to to start his development, improving Penix’s skill set and laying the ground work for his success early in his career. Based on what they did together at Indiana these past two seasons at UW was an extension of that development. This transfer example is a bit unique. MHO

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
What happened to building something (school, program, students). Money isn’t everything and the grass isn’t always greener. In the end, Smith will come away with… would have/could have, regrets, and a sense of deflation/emptiness.
😉

Maybe he pulls a Mike Riley in the future. 😉
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Regarding Penix, or Penis as my spell check likes to change it to, transfer to the UW sent a couple recruited qb’s packing off and we found out that they were not PAC12 caliber QBs’.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
According to the pundits, UW is going to the Fiesta Bowl where they get their asses kicked by Bama (again).

I hope not though. The last time, my Husky alum wife got her revenge multi-fold over time. My hootin’ an hollerin’ during the came probably didn’t help.

Roll Tide!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not really, I was referring to Nix.😉
😆

Same scenario for Nix. Goes to Auburn has great success under coach KD (OC). Coach leaves for FSU for a couple years and Nix kinda falls off (injured too) and they bring in Finley from LSU and he cuts in to Nix’s playing time… Nix didn’t get along with new coaches . Coach KD lands the OC job at Oregon and lo and behold he is reunited with his former young QB after he enters the portal and develops him further. Coach KD is ASU head coach now. Finley played at some smaller school this season. To much drama. I’m starting to realize these skill players move around a lot but there appears to be some strategy behind it for many. The two best qbs in the pac12 are products of the Big10 and the SEC.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Just read details of Smith's Michigan State contract. He'll be making $7.25 mil in the first year of his MSU contract, so basically a $2.4 mil per year raise.

In other news, this is how weird the portal has gotten. There is a kid that played HS football in Oregon. He is a 4 star QB. He ended up going to Michigan St.
He is now hitting the transfer portal because he has hard feelings and felt disrespected by Smith.....for not recruiting him while he was head coach at Oregon St.
That is some full circle crazy shit......:ROFLMAO:
SF