Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Divad

Whitefish
I like seeing NFC expand their blank selection for fly rods. Added a bunch of lightweight euro/micro spey stuff.

A78EF459-03CC-4AE5-9A78-AFF4CA18D7AE.jpeg

Wonder how a stinted 11’ -> 11.5’ would feel for a 1wt trout spey setup.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Does anybody have a simple technique for wrapping the dreaded tip.? This 3# I'm building has the thinnest tip area and I'm struggling.

flybill

Life of the Party
Does anybody have a simple technique for wrapping the dreaded tip.? This 3# I'm building has the thinnest tip area and I'm struggling.
The tip is always hard, if you can move your support up closer to the tip it helps. Get the wrap started and push it gentley into place and wrap towards the tip. Might take a few tries. Remember, just the tip! LOL! You can do it!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The tip top wrap definitely sucks! Like Bill said, support as close as possible and since mine is usually a small wrap, I cut some thread and use a small wood clothes pin for tension. On some of my Hotrodz I don’t wrap the tip but put Threadmaster over the end of the tip top.

Chucker

Steelhead
The tip top wrap definitely sucks! Like Bill said, support as close as possible and since mine is usually a small wrap, I cut some thread and use a small wood clothes pin for tension. On some of my Hotrodz I don’t wrap the tip but put Threadmaster over the end of the tip top.

It’s utter heresy, but I do a whip finish, like you’d do on a fly head. It makes it the easiest one of the lot. Of course, those of you who can only use a whip finish tool for that are SOL 😁

Divad

Whitefish
Do you need to wrap the tip on a 3wt? I left my tip w/o epoxy on my 7wt build and have put some big fish to it. I also let it be on the 4wt Iconoglass in hopes to not add any weight to the tip. For heavier rods I can see it being beneficial and non impactful.

On the ultralight rod I built for my sister I did put a 10 turn wrap for looks. If you are using the CRB hand wrapper I wrap the tip just to the outside of the two supports, with the thread tracking slider halfway out of the groove.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
It’s utter heresy, but I do a whip finish, like you’d do on a fly head. It makes it the easiest one of the lot. Of course, those of you who can only use a whip finish tool for that are SOL 😁
Ding, Ding, Ding, you win the prize. I actually put my thread spool in my fly tying bobbin, wrapped it up the tip and whip finished it. Easy, peasy and looks better than the others I've done in the past. Thanks...

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bear in mind, you're not trying to bind anything down with the tip wrap, just overlapping onto the tip shank to give it a bit more security...so, You can back the thread tension off, making it a lot easier to get your wraps on.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Ya, the tip I bought is maybe one size larger than perfect, so I had to make a little ramp for a transition.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Has anyone ever used this trick to avoid dealing with cutting off tags?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Here's some of the thread work on my last of the Winter projects. This is a 7ft-3# glass rod. I used this barberpole pattern on all of the guides. It's not too difficult after you do a couple and is really just a trim band. The sawblade pattern is a little more difficult. I made several practice runs before I tried it for real. There's two challenges. Getting the sawblades to match is tough and getting the thread to lay down between the blades a challenge as the under thread wants to pinch up. I enjoy the learning process. I really like the pearl sparkle band.

20240109_091953.jpg20240109_092041.jpg20240109_091849.jpg

flybill

Life of the Party
Here's some of the thread work on my last of the Winter projects. This is a 7ft-3# glass rod. I used this barberpole pattern on all of the guides. It's not too difficult after you do a couple and is really just a trim band. The sawblade pattern is a little more difficult. I made several practice runs before I tried it for real. There's two challenges. Getting the sawblades to match is tough and getting the thread to lay down between the blades a challenge as the under thread wants to pinch up. I enjoy the learning process. I really like the pearl sparkle band.

View attachment 98663View attachment 98664View attachment 98662
Beautiful!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
How do you avoid these air bubbles next to the guide feet?
IMG_1001.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I know my eyes are getting older but what bubbles?? Looks good to me Phil…..and you can’t see them while fishing this rod…….

flybill

Life of the Party
How do you avoid these air bubbles next to the guide feet?
View attachment 98668
You could do multiple coats of flex coat or whatever you're using. Start with a very thin first coat and get the epoxy to fill any gaps. Let it dry and then do a final coat. You can also use a heat gun, sparingly and get the bubble(s) out.

Just go slowly and make sure there aren't bubbles in the epoxy before you use it on the guides. I use a paper plate with foil on top to mix the epoxy. Give it a little time to settle and get any bubble out of it before you apply it to the rod.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I know my eyes are getting older but what bubbles?? Looks good to me Phil…..and you can’t see them while fishing this rod…….
These guysIMG_1001.jpeg

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Ahh, now I see those parallel gaps. I've read it's from too much tension on the silk thread not allowing enough resin to flow into the cavity. You really need to force the resin down and saturate the area on the 1st coat and use less thread tension.