What's your fishing rig?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
2014 Subaru Outback. Still the best all around fishing vehicle I've ever owned. Goes anywhere over anything I'm likely to encounter. Hauls bikes, canoe, kayak, skis, Skybox, on top, just not all of those at the same time. Tows the trailered 16' Lund or pram or raft with no issues. All the camping gear I need inside. And 26 mpg, which is consistent with my personal value of not giving too much of my paycheck to oil companies.

Shad

Life of the Party
I think if money is no object, a big ass truck with a camper is probably the ultimate. Comfortable to drive, tows anything, goes most anywhere, and gives you a place to sleep in or haul lots of stuff. If you're like me and don't have big boats to tow/etc., my 2003 Toyota Tacoma (one of the last years they made a small truck) with a camper is pretty great. Mine's getting a little old (about 270K miles), and I plan to drive it until it gives up, but after that, since nobody makes a legit small truck anymore, I'll probably go Subaru Outback or similar. IMO, unless you need lots of towing power for your boat/camper/etc., big fishing rigs are often more fun than functional (again, a fine option if you've got the $).

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 megacab. The road trip king. The backseat has more leg room than the front, both of my 90# labs have room to stand and 2 adults can sit back there comfortably at the same time. I’ve got a 2000# bed slide in the back all the gear and rods are comfortable and easily accessible without crawling into the canopy. 18-20 average MPG with as much as 22.8 mpg on the open road. I lose very little towing either my drift boat or 20’ sled and I’ve towed as heavy as an 18k pound loaded trailer and I barely knew it was there and it could do plenty more. Never had a problem getting in and out of any fishing access and I drive it routinely in snow up and down the sketchy little mountain I live on. Best rig I’ve ever owned.

F660A463-DD94-41C4-A86D-DBBC482DF886.jpeg

Fly-by

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Close to home: 2006 TJ Unlimited aka "LJ". Extra 10" of wheelbase vs a regular TJ allows a 29er to fit in the bed, or an 11 foot Hobie inflatable rolled up.

I no longer need a fast car because 65 mph feels like 130 mph in this thing.

img_20230711_124012421.jpg

Far from home: 2001 F250 7.3L diesel

IMG_20230711_124233793_HDR.jpg

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A GMC half ton diesel. When we bought the camp trailer we towed it with a Toyota Tacoma but just because you can tow a trailer with it doesn’t mean you should. It was a bit small and under powered even though the trailer is light. Turns out I get better mileage in the GMC, 26 to 28 on the highway when not towing and about 14 to 16 with the trailer. We are happy with it. Running boards are low clearance but my wife says that is to keep me doing stupid stuff with the truck. IMG_3017.jpeg

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I must say, it seems most of your fishing rigs are much nicer than mine. At least I don't need to worry about anyone breaking in the old beast when we're off fishing because it doesn't really look like it holds anything of value. :giggle:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I must say, it seems most of your fishing rigs are much nicer than mine. At least I don't need to worry about anyone breaking in the old beast when we're off fishing because it doesn't really look like it holds anything of value. :giggle:
We keep our vehicles for a long time. Recently gifted our 2001 Toyota Sequoia to our nephew with 303K miles on it. Mechanically very sound and body in great shape. Someday my truck will be an old beast as well.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
IMG_20230711_171730145_HDR.jpg
" The Little Car" a 1996 Suzuki X-90. I bought it because I had an RC car of one my grandma got me when I was a kid. It only had 30,000 miles at the time. I can fit a 10' 2pc rod tube, waders and stripping basket in the passenger seat. In the summer you can pop the T-tops like old Bandit and rip shit up a gravel road with your 5wt playing the part of the CB antenna.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mine is a 2015 Nissan Frontier pro 4x. We have had various renditions of this vehicle (Hard Body and Xterras) since the 90s. It’s kinda the only small truck out there. The 4x has a lockable diff and a nice low low gear.

Oh and we also have had Suzuki Sidekicks and Vitaras as our other fishing rig, which unlike most small SUV’s are trucks and not built on a car chassis. They are surprisingly capable. We often ‘wheel to get back into places.

…And once we bought this 20-year old Saab 900 off a woman in San Francisco that never drove it. We live adjacent to 100s of miles of forest roads and that thing was a beast-our turbo charged rally car fishing rig. We killed it going fishing, mobbing down a dirt road; we came around a corner and misjudged the height of a rock imbedded in the road surface.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
…And once we bought this 20-year old Saab 900 ...a beast-our turbo charged rally car
good buddy had one of those, white knuckle surf runs fom our homes in Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz and back...always surpised how high he could spool that engine up without it coming apart

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
good buddy had one of those, white knuckle surf runs fom our homes in Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz and back...always surpised how high he could spool that engine up without it coming apart
That is a nice road to track test I mean drive!