What's your fishing rig?

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
2015 Subaru Outback, gear on the inside...

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a truck, but the MPG hit I'd be taking is holding me back. It would be nice to have 4 low and maybe a rear locking diff, but the Outback does what it needs to most of the time.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What's yours? Sadly, my little Prius didn't quite make the cut....but, I've had it plenty of places I probably shouldn't have.

yep, here's mine...
View attachment 72420

Same.
47B5F70F-0DCF-4863-889C-FBCF2C7943F4.jpeg
Extremely efficient for solo camp/fish and goes 90%+ of the places I’d be going in my other rig.
1689056724347.jpeg

The other rig being this old Highlander.

1689056921438.jpeg
My wife gets so annoyed when I call our cars “rigs.” 😈

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
1999 1/2 Ford F250 7.3

Big, loud, pretty inefficient (though it gets better mileage than the Dodge Ram 2500 gasser it replaced, terrible in the snow, and certainly not ideal for scooting around little back roads.

But it has less than 200k miles, which for a 7.3 is barely broken in, it has been reliable as hell, I enjoy driving it, and most importantly it'll pull a house off its foundation if I for some reason needed to do so. Or more reliastically it'll pull the boats out in Westport when needed. I love everything about this truck. I also got a screaming deal on it.

IMG_20201101_195746_681.jpg

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Same.
View attachment 72424
Extremely efficient for solo camp/fish and goes 90%+ of the places I’d be going in my other rig.
View attachment 72425

The other rig being this old Highlander.

View attachment 72426
My wife gets so annoyed when I call our cars “rigs.” 😈
Vintage Buck's roundie? Mine had a truck inner tube 👍

1999 1/2 Ford F250 7.3

Big, loud, pretty inefficient (though it gets better mileage than the Dodge Ram 2500 gasser it replaced, terrible in the snow, and certainly not ideal for scooting around little back roads.

But it has less than 200k miles, which for a 7.3 is barely broken in, it has been reliable as hell, I enjoy driving it, and most importantly it'll pull a house off its foundation if I for some reason needed to do so. Or more reliastically it'll pull the boats out in Westport when needed. I love everything about this truck. I also got a screaming deal on it.

View attachment 72432
Nice shot Nick! 🥇

The '13 X just turned 100, Ohio cut my mileage way down. Since I got it out of WA and away from @Roper, I should have it a good long time..
IMG_6301.jpeg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have really cycled through a lot of fishing rigs. I kind of inherited this trait from my dad where cycling through vehicles is just something you do. I have a knack for finding deals and getting new rigs with somehow coming out on top financially....

Just since 2018:

1992 F150 extended cab (got it in 2013): Low miles, super clean and awesome. But wanted something with four doors.

1993 Suburban 2500: Super clean, really awesome rig. Mostly ditched it because it topped out at about 8mpg and I was kind of a weird phase of "I'm going to not have a boat." that didn't last long.

2005 Grand Cherokee: Was my solution to downsize from the Suburban. Despite being a babied, mint condition vehicle... I couldn't stand it. Such a cheap-feeling POS. Did not last long.

2000 Expedition: Muuuch better. Honestly really liked this rig a lot. Perfect size for most of what I did. Only reason I moved on was because it wasn't great for towing once I got my big, heavy, fiberglass boat. It'd do it, but was noticeably not the right rig for it. @DanielOcean owns it now

2005 F250 V10: Went Super Duty for the boat pullin. Another extended cab, so went full circle on that. Got the job done quite well, and since I had my little Chevy Bolt for commuting for work, I could stomach the gas guzzling.

NOW THE CURRENT RIG! Since I am no longer commuting for work, I consolidated my car and F250 in to one nicer truck. It's been the best of all worlds and have no intention of moving on from this one for a long time.

2010 F150 Lariat - Has the special tow package so actually has about the same tow capacity (on paper) as my F250 had. I was skeptical at first, but the thing tows like a champ. Super comfy rig that seems way too nice for me. It's a 2010 but looks and feels like a brand new truck inside.
1689078345920.png
1689078451384.png

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
My go to rig is a 2008 Tundra. I bought it with 13,000 miles in 2009. I’ve be to North and South Dakota and everywhere in between. She’s got 149,000 miles on her now and has towed boats campers and has had plenty of dead things in the back. It’s been a good truck.
IMG_6143.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like my Volvo XC70. Like the Subaru's, but has a Buick like grandpa feel to it having a bit more power, room and ride comfort. Plenty of room to leave in the car seat, balls, toys, chairs, ect., and still fit a strung 10' rod and gear easily.
volvo.jpg

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Guess I've been using a 1990 Ford F150 since I bought it from my Dad 30 some odd years ago. It is in bad need of a paint job and I did need to replace the engine a few years back but otherwise, it still works fine as a fishing rig.... If it wasn't for the peeling paint there isn't anything wrong with it. Hauls inflated SuperCat pontoon boats just fine.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yep @Evan B was kind enough to make me a good deal on his ole expedition. Because I have a mechanical back round I was not scared of something that needs a little TLC here or there. I put a good wax on it after a deep cleaning and because I have an appreciation for music I decided to treat myself and upgraded the audio so I have something pleasurable to listen to when I am alone on the road. I know ones mans junk is anothers treasure, and I truly treasure this truck. I am a sucker for that old ford coolant smell LOL.
1689096945071.png
1689097016322.png
1689097092723.png
1689097107773.png