What's your favorite dry or emerger Callibaetis pattern?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Interesting. The duns I see are lighter-bodied and have speckled wings, but I've never seen speckled wings on a spinner, and the spinners are always dark-bodied.
Hi Matt,
Unfortunately, I don't have Callibaetis pictures from Dry Falls. But here are some dun and spinner pictures from Leech Lake - much darker in the duns.
Duns
A03CallibaetisDun1348 copy.jpg
A01CallibaetisMayfly_4150051 copy.jpg
Spinners
B01CallibaetisSpinner_6020191Trim copy.jpg
This next spinner does have some color on the leading edge of its wings.
CallibaetisSpinner004.jpg
CallibaetisSpinner_6020192 copy.jpg
Steve

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Hi Matt,
Unfortunately, I don't have Callibaetis pictures from Dry Falls. But here are some dun and spinner pictures from Leech Lake - much darker in the duns.
Duns
View attachment 110806
View attachment 110807
Spinners
View attachment 110808
This next spinner does have some color on the leading edge of its wings.
View attachment 110809
View attachment 110810
Steve
Great photos! That last one shows a two-tone abdomen--dark dorsal and lighter ventral! Hard to tie that. That's where a marker might be handy.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
When dries or spinners are on the water, a size 16 std. Adams clipped flat on the bottom out performed anything on hebgen, Henry's Fork, and McDonald's Pond (RIP) for me. If they are keyed on emergers, a Quigley cripple is hard to beat. If it's windy, a feather duster in the film can be killer.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Are the callibaetis spinners around you that paler tan color? I have not caught this hatch too often, but the callibaetis spinners I have seen in Washington have all had a dark gray body
Mainly use it at Hegben with no complaints from the fish, but like you i think the mayflies on our local water are a bit darker. I had some ties with darker wings at Hegben but was getting a lot of false takes.... John Kreft tied the one i showed specifically for the lakes in Central Oregon here's a nice write up on callibaetis lake patterns...

From his article:
Here’s a tip – be careful when matching colors on mayflies. The bottom side that the fish can see is a light tan, not the brownish-mahogany seen in the picture. I think that’s true for all mayflies.

https://www.johnkreft.com/callibaetis-mayflies/

Last edited:

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This thread is very much appreciated! I fish a lake in N. Central OR that has a robust callibaetis hatch in the afternoon and evening, preceded by lots of sipping when the adults aren't visible. I've always taken that to mean that emergers are being taken just under the surface. Knowing about some proven imitations will be a confidence booster.

Do you typically do a super-slow retrieve to give them a bit of movement? I'm told, by a few anglers who have better luck there, that some movement is key. I have yet to figure this one out.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
This thread is very much appreciated! I fish a lake in N. Central OR that has a robust callibaetis hatch in the afternoon and evening, preceded by lots of sipping when the adults aren't visible. I've always taken that to mean that emergers are being taken just under the surface. Knowing about some proven imitations will be a confidence booster.

Do you typically do a super-slow retrieve to give them a bit of movement? I'm told, by a few anglers who have better luck there, that some movement is key. I have yet to figure this one out.
Hi DFG,
It varies from day to day. Some days the trout want only dead-drifted flies and shy away from any fly movement. But I have had slow days that picked up when I got hits when I was picking up the fly to recast. It then clicked that maybe I should twitch the parachute fly a bit. And I've even had some success slowly trolling a parachute fly at the surface on other days.
Steve

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Many years ago a young man that worked for me talked me into learning to fly fish. Got some casting lessons some gear and met him up at Chopaka. Tracy and Mike had a pop up trailer and they were tying flies when I got there. They called this one a Chopaka emerger. Just off the weeds in the south end we proceeded to fish them. First cast I got slammed by a 14 inch football. It was a hoot watching them slam the fly. Every now and then I’ll use one of these…

IMG_8823.jpeg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Many years ago a young man that worked for me talked me into learning to fly fish. Got some casting lessons some gear and met him up at Chopaka. Tracy and Mike had a pop up trailer and they were tying flies when I got there. They called this one a Chopaka emerger. Just off the weeds in the south end we proceeded to fish them. First cast I got slammed by a 14 inch football. It was a hoot watching them slam the fly. Every now and then I’ll use one of these…

View attachment 110946
I've had good luck with this style. I like Hare's ear for the body. When they get really aggressive I love stripping a Hare's ear Elk Hair Caddis minus the palmered hackle and sparse on the elk.
Or just an Adams wet fly or soft hackle.
Those are good days!

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
One of my favorite hatches is the callibaetis on some of the PNW lakes I fish. I love it when the trout are rising to the hatching flies. I usually fish a parachute Adams size 14 or 16 but always wonder if there are even more effective flies I should tie and fish. What flies do you prefer?
My experience has been that parachute Adams work sometimes just fine, but may be refused at other times.

I’ve settled on sparkle dun in gray as an emerger taken without hesitation or refusal, and similarity, a gray cripple.

14 or 16.

Jay

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My experience has been that parachute Adams work sometimes just fine, but may be refused at other times.

I’ve settled on sparkle dun in gray as an emerger taken without hesitation or refusal, and similarity, a gray cripple.

14 or 16.

Jay
Jay - "Taken without hesitation or refusal", can I buy a couple from you? (jk) Until last year, Quigley's Cripple (mentioned above) had always been my go to emerger for two of my favorite BC lakes. They just worked and worked well (often taken without hesitation or refusal) but man, last late May and early June it got downright frustrating. The what seemed to be the same hatch we've come to know and love, happened and trout did take the emergers but we had many (far too many) refusals or just plain ignores. This happened on three different days last year. Herb, Keith and I tried variations on the themes; none of them were consistent. I guess that's why we have lots of flies to try out.

(Love to see a pic of your sparkle dun)/Pat

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Jay - "Taken without hesitation or refusal", can I buy a couple from you? (jk) Until last year, Quigley's Cripple (mentioned above) had always been my go to emerger for two of my favorite BC lakes. They just worked and worked well (often taken without hesitation or refusal) but man, last late May and early June it got downright frustrating. The what seemed to be the same hatch we've come to know and love, happened and trout did take the emergers but we had many (far too many) refusals or just plain ignores. This happened on three different days last year. Herb, Keith and I tried variations on the themes; none of them were consistent. I guess that's why we have lots of flies to try out.

(Love to see a pic of your sparkle dun)/Pat
OK, I’ll confess, there was one day on Leech when they were taking Callibaetis and my sparkle duns, and then later they were refusing my fly even though the real bugs were still around. I switched up to a leech, caught a fish, and sampled it. It was now eating little antish/waspy things. So the fish had turned selective for those.

In b.c., sometimes they are full of shrimp and ignore Callibaetis.

Compared to a parachute Adams, the sparkle dun is more consistently taken, especially a newly tied on fly that floating well.

Jay

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
OK, I’ll confess, there was one day on Leech when they were taking Callibaetis and my sparkle duns, and then later they were refusing my fly even though the real bugs were still around. I switched up to a leech, caught a fish, and sampled it. It was now eating little antish/waspy things. So the fish had turned selective for those.

Compared to a parachute Adams, the sparkle dun is more consistently taken, especially a newly tied on fly that floating well.

Jay
Just to make sure I am reading this right...the Sparkle Dun is the fly in the style of what I'd call a comparadun? Just tail, body and deer hair wings? I appreciate the coaching! Ron

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Just to make sure I am reading this right...the Sparkle Dun is the fly in the style of what I'd call a comparadun? Just tail, body and deer hair wings? I appreciate the coaching! Ron
Yes.

The body should be gray and tied thin.

Jay

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Jay
Got me to chuckle with the "antish/waspy things". We had the same thing happen on the home lake in BC. There were fish coming up everywhere but we couldn't get but the occasional tug. Keith used his noggin, throat pumped a fish and found flying ants. Game on.