What's in your vise?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Video of "the Pillow":

Thanks
I think my issue was trying to tie it directly to on top of thread wraps versus using the pillow technique which I’ve never done before.
SF

Reactions: Zak
I saw this pattern on another forum and thought I’d try it.
I absolutely suck at getting the grizzly saddle hackle to lay straight and flat on the back. Maybe the wrong type of hackle? Any suggestions on how to get it better would be appreciated.
SF

View attachment 14039View attachment 14040
You could also try starting with loose wraps until satisfied with the profile and save your tighter wraps for closer to the head.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
You could also try starting with loose wraps until satisfied with the profile and save your tighter wraps for closer to the head.
I have found with some materials, doing what you suggested actually created issues with materials falling out.

Bob N

Steelhead
I saw this pattern on another forum and thought I’d try it.
I absolutely suck at getting the grizzly saddle hackle to lay straight and flat on the back. Maybe the wrong type of hackle? Any suggestions on how to get it better would be appreciated.
SF

View attachment 14039View attachment 14040
You can try what the Atlantic salmon fly tyers and the steelhead tyers. Make sure the base you tie the grizzly hackle to is flat with the rest of the fly, that is don’t have a bump for the hackle to lift from. Personally, I think the fly looks great the way you tyed it.

Bob N

Steelhead
Here’s the shot. I guess I can cover two categories with one picture, this is my normal tying bench, cleaning occurs every couple of years.

Attachments

• 94E7856C-8E86-4345-AC65-FEEBBF6531FD.jpeg
    94E7856C-8E86-4345-AC65-FEEBBF6531FD.jpeg
    721.9 KB · Views: 21

Divad

Whitefish
Couple of fox tail buggy flatwings with tungsten bead.
View attachment 14129
When you tie a pair of flies that are slightly different, and you lose one, does somewhere in the back of your mind wonder if the different variation is going to effect your outcome? (Because I do this when testing flies and enjoy the game.)

Impressive though is your base, mine looks like shiza. Loop spinners are a powdercoats worst nightmare.

650A59AC-15F5-4EE1-9132-D40FDAEF59A6.jpeg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Acid-Flashback-1080.jpg

Acid Flashback

Kevin Cooney Originator

Steelhead

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent
Thread – Claret/red
Tail - Red hackle barbs and pearl krystal flash
Body - Purple chenille
Collar - Purple hen
Wing - Purple marabou
Topping: Pearl krystal flash
UV Resin coated head

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
When you tie a pair of flies that are slightly different, and you lose one, does somewhere in the back of your mind wonder if the different variation is going to effect your outcome? (Because I do this when testing flies and enjoy the game.)

Impressive though is your base, mine looks like shiza. Loop spinners are a powdercoats worst nightmare.

View attachment 14131
That's a cool base, how'd you get that brown trout painted on there?

I don't worry too much about tying only one variation and loosing it, these fish aren't picky :)

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Altima-1080.jpg

Altima

Steelhead

Carter Moore Originator

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent
Thread - Red
Tail - Red hen hackle fibers
Body - Pearl crystal chenille
Collar - White hen
Wing - Red bucktail
UV Resin coated head

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

I have found with some materials, doing what you suggested actually created issues with materials falling out.
...then it sounds like you are not using enough wraps. Even loose wraps gain tension the more you add to them, but the final wraps should be as tight as you can manage with your thread. And if you break your thread, well (dripping sarcasm), that's the first time that ever happened.😉

You could also try this tip from Gary LaFontaine for securing wings, works great on calf tail too. Tie the stem at the bead with several tight wraps in one place, then place the thread hanging from the back side of the hook, lift the flatwing, and pass the thread under the wing and over the shank and bring the thread up the previous wraps and drop it over the top to the original starting point, making a loop around the hackle stem. You can repeat if you are using light thread if you want to. Further wraps will bind the feather to the loop until, as Gary says "you couldn't pull it out with a pair of pliers". The final wraps can also be used to lay the feather down.
If you are concerned about thread wraps showing, a head of peacock herl would look nice, I think, or a little dubbing. Another good tip on bead head flies is to leave the stem long enough to pass through bead, that way you are not trying to bind the feather at the very tip.

Remember, fly tying is a journey that gets easier as you gain experience. Happy tying!

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
...then it sounds like you are not using enough wraps. Even loose wraps gain tension the more you add to them, but the final wraps should be as tight as you can manage with your thread. And if you break your thread, well (dripping sarcasm), that's the first time that ever happened.😉

You could also try this tip from Gary LaFontaine for securing wings, works great on calf tail too. Tie the stem at the bead with several tight wraps in one place, then place the thread hanging from the back side of the hook, lift the flatwing, and pass the thread under the wing and over the shank and bring the thread up the previous wraps and drop it over the top to the original starting point, making a loop around the hackle stem. You can repeat if you are using light thread if you want to. Further wraps will bind the feather to the loop until, as Gary says "you couldn't pull it out with a pair of pliers". The final wraps can also be used to lay the feather down.
If you are concerned about thread wraps showing, a head of peacock herl would look nice, I think, or a little dubbing. Another good tip on bead head flies is to leave the stem long enough to pass through bead, that way you are not trying to bind the feather at the very tip.

Remember, fly tying is a journey that gets easier as you gain experience. Happy tying!
Not fully agreeable…
But it also depends on which direction the tighter wraps are applied… toward hook eye vs toward the bend. 😉