What's in your vise?

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
CDC and deer hair caddis and Endrick spider. Both patterns I saw on this forum.
I started tying a couple months ago because I enjoyed looking at the work posted by users here.
The proportions of my flies are still inconsistent and I regularly use too much of all materials but it’s fun and they’re getting better.
I really appreciate the good work, enthusiasm, and solid information displayed here.

1711032146794.jpeg
1711032246554.jpeg

Attachments

• 1711032175790.jpeg
    1711032175790.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 2

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
CDC and deer hair caddis and Endrick spider. Both patterns I saw on this forum.
I started tying a couple months ago because I enjoyed looking at the work posted by users here.
The proportions of my flies are still inconsistent and I regularly use too much of all materials but it’s fun and they’re getting better.
I really appreciate the good work, enthusiasm, and solid information displayed here.

View attachment 107669
View attachment 107671
Nice looking flies!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm going to be very sad when this particular bucktail gets used up. I really should do a Beast Fleye before it's too late, but I know I'd never fish it out here. It's one of the largest, definitely the longest & softest I've ever had...literally 1 in a hundred...probably lower odds.

This one took a surprisingly long time to tie, but I didn't want to waste any of that tail, so I definitely took my time.

The tail...this isn't something you'll ever find in a local fly shop. If you do, either buy it for yourself, or buy it for me! :LOL:
PXL_20240322_014522521.MP~2.jpg

Another all bucktail Spring Tiger Fleye (the chartreuse used in this one isn't too bad of a tail either, but nowhere close to the white one). This one comes in at about 6.5" or so. For the head, I ended up mixing some Nayat underfur that I had saved (weird, cause I don't normally save much of that) mixed with NMF Titan dub reverse tied, then brushed out (IMO, a must if you're using dubbed heads on these large predator flies).
PXL_20240322_032304391.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240322_032242051.MP~2.jpg

🍻

edit: I just measured those fibers, they're every bit of 6". I've heard rumors of 7" bucktail fibers, but this is the longest I've ever personally seen.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You fished that exact same fly last weekend and never changed it out, why do you need another one? 🤣

lol Lou,
Just a bit different than the one I fished all day Saturday. Dubbed body, yellow eyes and this under the wing. Hell, you never know when you might lose the first one to a boat dock rope. 😂
SF

IMG_6812.jpeg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
lol Lou,
Just a bit different than the one I fished all day Saturday. Dubbed body, yellow eyes and this under the wing. Hell, you never know when you might lose the first one to a boat dock rope. 😂
SF

View attachment 107750
Oh that's a great idea for adding the "illusion / suggestion" of parr marks on minnow and fry patterns... I think I've got some olive barred marabou, I'm going to try that next.

My hand is not steady enough with the black sharpie to get them to look good the way I've been doing them.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Oh that's a great idea for adding the "illusion / suggestion" of parr marks on minnow and fry patterns... I think I've got some olive barred marabou, I'm going to try that next.

My hand is not steady enough with the black sharpie to get them to look good the way I've been doing them.

I found Sharpie markings tend to wash out pretty quickly.
I’ve had petty luck with the alcohol markers. Basically generic Copic pens from Hobby Lobby which are on sale right now. Amazon has a big selection as well.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I found Sharpie markings tend to wash out pretty quickly.
I’ve had petty luck with the alcohol markers. Basically generic Copic pens from Hobby Lobby which are on sale right now. Amazon has a big selection as well.
SF
Brian hit the nail on the head here...no sharpies for me either. Those Copics knockoffs are pretty damn good. Copics are better, but you'll pay for it!

There are a few synthetics that just don't hold color well but all natural fibers I've used do.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Do you tie most of your patterns hook up like that to prevent the rolling problem? I noticed a few of my chum fry patterns have the issue of rolling.

I just like flies that ride hook point side up which is why I tie a lot with dumbbell eyes. I also like the jiggy action they give flies.
SF

SurfnSully

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I'm going to be very sad when this particular bucktail gets used up. I really should do a Beast Fleye before it's too late, but I know I'd never fish it out here. It's one of the largest, definitely the longest & softest I've ever had...literally 1 in a hundred...probably lower odds.

This one took a surprisingly long time to tie, but I didn't want to waste any of that tail, so I definitely took my time.

The tail...this isn't something you'll ever find in a local fly shop. If you do, either buy it for yourself, or buy it for me! :LOL:
View attachment 107734

Another all bucktail Spring Tiger Fleye (the chartreuse used in this one isn't too bad of a tail either, but nowhere close to the white one). This one comes in at about 6.5" or so. For the head, I ended up mixing some Nayat underfur that I had saved (weird, cause I don't normally save much of that) mixed with NMF Titan dub reverse tied, then brushed out (IMO, a must if you're using dubbed heads on these large predator flies).
View attachment 107735
View attachment 107736

🍻

edit: I just measured those fibers, they're every bit of 6". I've heard rumors of 7" bucktail fibers, but this is the longest I've ever personally seen.
Is the name of that fly Cousin It?

Last edited: