What's in your vise?

kmudgn

Steelhead
Rusty Spinner with Egg Sac (2 variations)

I don't know if there is a West Coast variation, but the Hendrickson Fly (Ephemerella subvaria) is a big time important Hatch in New England. They come in a few different varieties of color and size, so local species determine what you dunk into the water.

I have been trying Semper Fli Kapok dubbing. Kapok is the filler which was used for WW II life jackets and is high floating water resistant natural fiber. I am giving it a shot with the Spinners as my experience is that the high floaters are more attractive to the fish (maybe they taste better as they are "fresher"?).
They only downside to the Kapok is that it is very "cottony" and somewhat difficult to spin on the thread. Instead of fooling with dubbing loop, I used wax. The wax seems to hold the dubbing on the thread well.

Dry Fly Hook # 12-16 (I use TMC 100, but dealers choice here)
Thread-Rusty 6/0
Egg Sac-Yellow dubbing
Tail- MIcro Fibbits (or as they are now known: Caddis Tails). I use paint brush fibers from Harbor Freight. One brush gets you more fibers than you will use in a lifetime
Wing-Antron, or Poly -I prefer Antron, but again your choice

Traditional Tie

20240314_132858.jpg

Kapok Tie

20240319_140017.jpg
Dubbing Pack

20240319_141339.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
A dragon fly popper. As yet untested.
View attachment 79576

Hook: TMC 8089 #6
Body: 2 mm blue foam
Wings: krystal flash tied spent wing style. UV resin at base to stiffen the wing and help it hold position.
Legs: one rubber leg on each side
Head: small white double barrel popper head. Colored with marker
Rich, did you end up fishing this fly, and how did it work? (It just popped up in the image feed on the site)

RichS

Life of the Party
Rich, did you end up fishing this fly, and how did it work? (It just popped up in the image feed on the site)
I haven’t fished it yet. I love bass flies and tie a bunch of them. The truth is if I went out with 2 swimming frogs I would feel 100% confident and I use them most of the time.

Last edited: