Shoo-Fly-Bucktail-1080.jpg

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
A lot of drama around this place.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a couple Mahogany Dun patterns I've come up with that work well. We have a good fall hatch of them on my local. Last year was one of the best I've seen. Fish up eating in every likely spot, and they had no problem mowing down a little quill body pattern of mine:
DSC_0316 - edit 1.jpg

But...I like to tinker (if you are tying flies and you don't like to tinker...you're doing it wrong). Once @Scottp Introuduced me to the "carnage" technique, I haven't been able to stop incorporating it into pretty much every hatch I try to match.

After booking our VRBO in Fernie a couple days ago for the 5th year, I had Mahogany Duns on the brain. I'll never forget our first trip, where we went to a river that now requires a special permit, and roped likely 100+ cutty's in the 16 - 20" range on Mahogany duns. Hoping for a repeat in August, but maybe there will be a different bug that is hatching. If it's Mahogany Duns though, I'll be prepared!

Here's the bug i'm trying to match (forgive the cell phone pic):
20211023_194146.jpg

Here's the tinkered carnage one to match it.
DSC_0057 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0059 - edit 1.jpgDSC_0060 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0061 - edit 1.jpg

Here is one from my local this past October that ate my quill body dry.
20231021_160641.jpg

Here is from 2015, our first trip (we skipped a few years in between due to Covid and kids being born, yada yada yada).

FullSizeRender - edit 1.jpg

One of those special places on this planet. Looking forward to seeing it again this coming summer.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Welcome back Norm, hope you stay. What is this fly pattern? Looks like one I may need to copy.
Shoo Fly Bucktail

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Flat silver tinsel
Tail - Red hackle fibers
Body - Embossed silver tinsel
Shoulder - Peacock herl
Hackle - Red, sparse, tied on as a beard
Under wing - Yellow bucktail
Over wing - Red and black bucktail, mixed