What are you listening to?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

I listened to the whole recording. I am completely unfamiliar with Tuareg, Malian or North African music and I find them very interesting. They are good musicians and overall I really like the *timbre-tones* they chose for each instrument and as an ensemble for their arrangements. I also appreciate what I'll call the band's "mission statement" from their website. And it is a high quality live recording! Meaning no disrespect I have a "western ear" and typically listen to classical and an oddball variety of vintage music (20s-50s) so it's not a genre I'm going to listen to for extended periods.
I am in total awe of the dedication shown by bassist Michael "Mikey" Coltun from the USA to produce, record, and introduce them to the world.

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I listened to the whole recording. I am completely unfamiliar with Tuareg, Malian or North African music and I find them very interesting. They are good musicians and overall I really like the voicings they chose for each instrument and as an ensemble for their arrangements. I also appreciate what I'll call the band's "mission statement" from their website. And it is a high quality live recording! Meaning no disrespect I have a "western ear" and typically listen to classical and an oddball variety of vintage music (20s-50s) so it's not a genre I'm going to listen to for extended periods.
I am in total awe of the dedication shown by bassist Michael "Mikey" Coltun from the USA to produce, record, and introduce them to the world.

There is much to explore if you are interested. For me it all started with the 1994 release of Talking Timbuktu with Rye Cooder and the late great Ali Farka Toure and his band. I was intrigued by the mesmerizing and intricate interplay.
If you want to hear more try this one.
+101 Tinariwen Live in Paris 2014

Reactions: Zak

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
There is much to explore if you are interested. For me it all started with the 1994 release of Talking Timbuktu with Rye Cooder and the late great Ali Farka Toure and his band. I was intrigued by the mesmerizing and intricate interplay.
If you want to hear more try this one.
+101 Tinariwen Live in Paris 2014
Thanks, for the suggests. There is a lot of western influence in the Mdou Moctar, the Talking Timbuktu, and "Tamatant Tiley, "Toumast Tincha" in the +10:I Tinariwen Live recordings. I really like the instrument and vocal doubling, and they all have some very complex back-and-forth interaction going on that's fun to listen to. Again I really like the Mdou Moctar guitar timbre-tones for their arrangements.

However I prefer interesting changes and melodies, and my interest begins to wane during lengthy repeating figures, even in western jazz.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks, for the suggests. There is a lot of western influence in the Mdou Moctar, the Talking Timbuktu, and "Tamatant Tiley, "Toumast Tincha" in the +10:I Tinariwen Live recordings. I really like the instrument and vocal doubling, and they all have some very complex back-and-forth interaction going on that's fun to listen to. Again I really like the Mdou Moctar guitar timbre-tones for their arrangements.

However I prefer interesting changes and melodies, and my interest begins to wane during lengthy repeating figures, even in western jazz.
I like music that can kind of fade in and out of the background sometimes. Glad you like it; I have “discovered” some new to me artists in styles and genres that are outside my norm in this thread and I love it for that.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter