Watercraft Recommendations for Puget Sound/Hood Canal?

Mud&$alt72

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Hey there, I'm contemplating getting out on the sound to expand my Sea Run and Coho obsession and I could use some guidance on watercraft. I already have a canoe and a nice two person Sea Eagle kayak w/skeg that tracks pretty well in the chop.

Would it be prudent to try my luck with the canoe, maybe set it up with an electric motor? it's got more room to move around in than the kayak and on calmer water, I could cast standing up, although not gracefully. Would I need to register it?

Does anyone use an SUP?

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My experience with solo operating a human powered craft is that, unless you have some sort of pedal drive and/or a way to keep yourself from drifting or blowing away from where you want to be, you spend more time positioning and repositioning than actually fishing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve done it multiple times in my 18’ canoe, and many times out of kayaks—I highly recommend the canoe. I recommend an electric motor so you can scoot for shore when needed, and a drag sock to fight wind/hold in current. I got one for a 20’ boat, which keeps my canoe pinned in place very well.

No need to register it if it’s human-powered until the moment you put a motor on it, and then you’ve got 15 days within which to register it or remove the motor.

I would not do it with an SUP. The Puget Sound is an inland branch of the Pacific Ocean, but it’s still the ocean. Aside from the constant challenges presented by current, waves, and wind, you may be fine 999 out of 1000 times. But that 1 time you’ll end up being talked about on channel 16 and may or may not survive. Lots of folks in belly boats, inflatable Wallmart rafts, etc. get rescued by anglers, ferry runabouts, and the Coast Guard. Last summer I listened for a couple of hours to the Coast Guard looking for someone on a SUP. I never heard that they found them My family sold our 32’ sailboat to a guy who thought he was fine to sail the Sound. An unforecast squall came through and…they found the boat in Dabob Bay. I could be wrong, maybe an SUP is a great craft for the Hood Canal, but I wouldn’t risk it if I were you.

Last edited:

Tallguy

Steelhead
I would not do it with an SUP. The Puget Sound is an inland branch of the Pacific Ocean, but it’s still the ocean. Aside from the constant challenges presented by current, waves, and wind, you may be fine 999 out of 1000 times. But that 1 time you’ll end up being talked about on channel 16 and may or may not survive. Lots of folks in belly boats, inflatable Wallmart rafts, etc. get rescued by anglers, ferry runabouts, and the Coast Guard. Last summer I listened for a couple of hours to the Coast Guard looking for someone on a SUP. I never heard that they found them My family sold our 32’ sailboat to a guy who thought he was fine to sail the Sound. An unforecast squall came through and…they found the boat in Dabob Bay. I could be wrong, maybe an SUP is a great craft for the Hood Canal, but I wouldn’t risk it if I were you.
I am someone who fishes often from a kayak, rowboats, and generally prefers human powered recreation. I have long considered going down the SUP pathway for SRC and coho, but didn't in the end, mostly to find better ways to spend time with my kids (went more boat for this). I was very close to getting a Kaku Voodoo fishing SUP, might still do it one day. Current and wind are the two most tricky parts.

There is lots of truth to JWs statements above, but I would also add that it really depends on your skills/thinking and only you know those. If you stay fit, are a strong swimmer, are comfortable in a rough ocean, you can safely do many things most people can't. Of course, you can get into real trouble with that thinking too. If they have skills and good gear/plans, some people safely paddle kayaks and SUPs hundreds of miles, downwind in strong gales, and surf massive waves with them, perfectly fine. Catching fish in mostly calm, but cold and currenty, PS really shouldn't be a big deal, other than some discomfort. So don't be afraid of trying out something like SUP if you have put the time in getting ready for that. I think some of those mini powered, and unpowered, SUP skiffs look super fun to try, if you don't mind the work.

Mud&$alt72

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I’ve done it multiple times in my 18’ canoe, and many times out of kayaks—I highly recommend the canoe. I recommend an electric motor so you can scoot for shore when needed, and a drag sock to fight/hold in current. I got one for a 20’ boat, which keeps my canoe pinned in place very well.

No need to register it if it’s human-powered until the moment you put a motor on it, and then you’ve got 15 days within which to register it or remove the motor.

Thanks for that. I've got no problem registering my canoe, and the drag sock is a great idea. I've got a small anchor that I use for lakes, but a sock would be better.
I used to do quite a bit of sailing around here and yes, I've heard those Coast Guard calls, that's no joke.

Divad

Whitefish
I’ve seen folks use those pedal drive kayaks and have to say those are very efficient for the salt. You can keep position well with your feet and hands free of any motor while launching in precarious spots. Also some of the larger ones can easily be stood up in and/or stabilizers used.

Then again those are decent $ investments. If you go the anchor route keep a knife nearby at all times, preferably mounted near the rope.

Mud&$alt72

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I am someone who fishes often from a kayak, rowboats, and generally prefers human powered recreation. I have long considered going down the SUP pathway for SRC and coho, but didn't in the end, mostly to find better ways to spend time with my kids (went more boat for this). I was very close to getting a Kaku Voodoo fishing SUP, might still do it one day. Current and wind are the two most tricky parts.

There is lots of truth to JWs statements above, but I would also add that it really depends on your skills/thinking and only you know those. If you stay fit, are a strong swimmer, are comfortable in a rough ocean, you can safely do many things most people can't. Of course, you can get into real trouble with that thinking too. If they have skills and good gear/plans, some people safely paddle kayaks and SUPs hundreds of miles, downwind in strong gales, and surf massive waves with them, perfectly fine. Catching fish in mostly calm, but cold and currenty, PS really shouldn't be a big deal, other than some discomfort. So don't be afraid of trying out something like SUP if you have put the time in getting ready for that. I think some of those mini powered, and unpowered, SUP skiffs look super fun to try, if you don't mind the work.
I've been paddle boarding for years, but haven't fished, at least not seriously from an SUP. In the summer I would be ok, but my goal is to be able to cover a lot of ground, explore areas I couldn't otherwise by wading, and stay as dry as possible. ;)

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hood Canal chum are a blast on the SUP. I've never fished in the Sound. Like others have said...know your skill set, know the weather forecast, dress for immersion, bring an anchor.

Chucker

Steelhead
I've been paddle boarding for years, but haven't fished, at least not seriously from an SUP. In the summer I would be ok, but my goal is to be able to cover a lot of ground, explore areas I couldn't otherwise by wading, and stay as dry as possible. ;)

If you are anywhere in the main part of the sound north of the narrows, you need to be prepared for wakes from large container ships, tugs and cruise ships. If you are in the wrong place when one of those comes in, it can be a hair raising experience - I very nearly got flipped in a boston whaler one time. The maxim when I was using a river raft was “rig to flip”, and I think something similar is needed in the sound with any small craft. But if you are capable of self rescue, and have practiced it in cold puget sound water, then you’ll be better off than the majority of the kayakers trolling with downriggers out there.

Tallguy

Steelhead
I also think a SUP might actually be safer than a canoe. Canoe is faster, more waterline, but often tippier than a fishing SUP. Also more wind affected. The fin helps a lot, as does the flat bottom. Plus, if you fall off, way easier to get back on, you are leashed, and you don't have to bail anything out. You are often more prepared to fall in. I'd pick SUP over canoe 8/10 times.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
A good all around fishing boat is a 14' aluminum boat with small outboard. It is relatively low cost and lets you cover way more water than a canoe or kayak. I have a 14er I have had for over 30 years and have fished in the sound with it a lot. It's also great for ponds and lakes. It's easy to row and small enough for two people to pick up and carry short distances if needed.

Mud&$alt72

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
A good all around fishing boat is a 14' aluminum boat with small outboard. It is relatively low cost and lets you cover way more water than a canoe or kayak. I have a 14er I have had for over 30 years and have fished in the sound with it a lot. It's also great for ponds and lakes. It's easy to row and small enough for two people to pick up and carry short distances if needed.
You are spot on, good sir. That's what I've been thinking too. For the money, an aluminum skiff would be a lot more versatile. Unfortunately, as an urban dweller, I'm limited to what I can keep in my already at capacity garage, and my driveway is too small for a trailer. Plus, I'm also limited to what I can strap to the roof of my Subaru.

Years ago, my brother kept his 14' Livingston in a locker down at Narrows Marina, and it was ideal. From what I hear, those don't become available too often.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Given everything you've said about your goals (covering a lot of ground, staying dry, minimal storage footprint, car-toppable, etc.) it seems to me like you're looking for a pedal drive or electric motor kayak. Spot Lock would be a pretty wonderful feature to have.

I'd never heard of this company until a search brought them up a couple minutes ago but they seem to be much cheaper than the Old Towns.

Mud&$alt72

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Given everything you've said about your goals (covering a lot of ground, staying dry, minimal storage footprint, car-toppable, etc.) it seems to me like you're looking for a pedal drive or electric motor kayak. Spot Lock would be a pretty wonderful feature to have.

I'd never heard of this company until a search brought them up a couple minutes ago but they seem to be much cheaper than the Old Towns.
Holy cow, those are really cheap right now. I'm seriously going to check those out. I'm not against a pedal drive either. The inflatable Bote kayaks are a bit more, but easier store. Thanks for the tip!

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter

That 13ft model looks almost identical to the Native Slayer Propel 13 I used to have. I like the idea of the trolling motor for moving from spot to spot, but the pedals definitely came in handy for easy adjustments with your feet while drifting and fishing at the same time.

I really liked the pedal kayak. I could strap it to the top of my Subaru, and it got me around places that I wouldn't normally get to fish.

Fortunately/unfortunately it gave me just enough taste of freedom that I ended up buying a boat and never looked back.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Greg and Dylan, a father/son in Lincoln City, fish for rock cod from peddle kayaks launched in front of their lodge 'By The Wave" at Nelscott Beach. They cover a lot of territory, and can really move when they start cranking those pedals. That would be my only choice in your situation.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been looking around a bit online, and I'm leaning in the direction of a pedal kayak. I also found these inflatable kayak/skiffs that look promising.

https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk470.asp. They look pretty sturdy, take a motor, and roll up for storage. Never heard of the company, so not sure about the quality.
I have that boat. Just like any boat it comes with compromises.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've been looking around a bit online, and I'm leaning in the direction of a pedal kayak. I also found these inflatable kayak/skiffs that look promising.

https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk470.asp. They look pretty sturdy, take a motor, and roll up for storage. Never heard of the company, so not sure about the quality.
Calling @Northern (after you get back from you destination trip, capital J!), maybe you can shed some light on this thread about your Hobie Compass. @Mud&$alt72 - Northern really gets around on her peddle Compass. I am sooooo tempted to buy one of these boats........... I fish Hood Canal a couple times a year. Herb Superb has a 16' boat, we used to have a launch site on private property but the owner closed access after too much vandalism. I think I'd be able to launch a kayak near this place and a Hobie Compass, or similar, seems like a great boat for this area.

Reactions: Zak