Warm spring weather is coming! What are your fishing plans?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
It is looking like we've got at least a couple weeks of warmer mostly sunny weather ahead. Yeah, we're a little early for a lot of fisheries. But there are still opportunities out there.

Who has some fishing (or fishing related) plans for the stretch of nice weather?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm going to get my boat in the water and see how the outboard has survived the winter. That way, if it's running rough I can at least get it into a mechanic and hopefully beat the spring rush. Might also pull the fenders off the trailer and get them sanded and painted.

Depending on how much things warm up, I might head out and try for some early bass on one of the shallow year-round lakes.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm going to get my boat in the water and see how the outboard has survived the winter. That way, if it's running rough I can at least get it into a mechanic and hopefully beat the spring rush. Might also pull the fenders off the trailer and get them sanded and painted.

Depending on how much things warm up, I might head out and try for some early bass on one of the shallow year-round lakes.
You better get that motor tuned up for our upcoming tin boat Match Race! Although it'd be a lot COOLER if you turned your own wrenches.

I was definitely thinking of saying screw the projects I have halfway started and going fishing this weekend. One of those projects involves lumber I treated with wood preservative and then laid to dry on my boat. D'oh!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lots of choppy, dirty water caused by wind waves and rain recently, which makes it hard to detect what might be going on.
Hopefully some chum and pink fry are out and about in decent numbers and some hungry fish are eating them.
SF

Sir Homey

Steelhead
Word on the street is there’s some kind of razor clam festival out on the coast. Surely there’s some fishing to be had nearby. Bonus points for driving on the beach and letting the dog go nuts for a while.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I love spring. Don't know what to choose. Gravel lizards, looking for double digits? Try for a PB Brown Pickle? Maybe hit the M arm for Bulls. Now with daylight saving in play I can hit the hill in the morning and have plenty of time in the evening to go fishing.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I’m looking forward to lake fishing and Skwalas on the yak, but before that I want to hit some beaches with fry patterns

RCF

Life of the Party
I just plan to sit outside and tie flies soaking up the sun and letting all scraps from tying fly away in the breeze...

Lots of ideas/patterns presented in other threads. Going to tie up a few that are new to me. Once I have tied up enough, go out on a local lake and test which one(s) catch the most fish.

Then go back in and tie up more of those...

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I don't want a change. I like the status quo. Wind, hail, rain, sun, and travelers today too. Best winter in years, I don't want it to end.

Flymph

Steelhead
I'll be the lone bonehead who will miss good sleeping nights in the 30s and foggy, cool, misty, days in the 40s and low 50s. Probably because I hate to think what is coming!

jeradjames

Steelhead
The skwala’s were out and about in the canyon today. Learned the sticks today and my instructor was able to rise and land quite a few even with my poor rowing. I’ll be back to the Yak next week and maybe try some lake fishing for the first time as well.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Board a plane for Philip S.W. Goldson Airport and get rid of the shack nasties.
Sneak off with Albulas brother while he's gone and chase fish in low clear water with bright sun. Should have our midget expert rope holder too.