WA Stocking Schedule Release?

Divad

Whitefish
cormorant.PNG
....everybody else says they are have a strong taste with a healthy amount of liver and iron flavor.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone else's local lake behind stocking schedule? My locals Morton and Twelve still haven't been stocked. Or at least not documented yet. They hadn't been stocked as of a week ago.
Last year, Twelve was stocked on 3/28 and Morton on 3/30. 2 weeks difference is big when I'm Jones'in for some tugs.

I'm out of town this week so maybe they've planted and just not documented yet. C'mon man!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Anyone else's local lake behind stocking schedule? My locals Morton and Twelve still haven't been stocked. Or at least not documented yet. They hadn't been stocked as of a week ago.
Last year, Twelve was stocked on 3/28 and Morton on 3/30. 2 weeks difference is big when I'm Jones'in for some tugs.

I'm out of town this week so maybe they've planted and just not documented yet. C'mon man!
The closest to me was stocked on 4/14 last year and was stocked 4/12 this year.
Maybe a different hatchery though.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
And for context, the lakes I'm waiting on are year-round lakes.
April 12 for a April 22 opener is early. Hopefully the cormorants don't eat them all. Those north sound lakes get hammered by them.

They don't seem as bad down here in the SE sound area. Meridian always has a fair amount, but not like I saw when I lived in Monroe.

The 2 weeks late tells me the hatcheries are either short fish or waiting for them to grow a bit more. Or both.

I also wonder if they want to plant some of the year-round lakes closer to the April opener for enforcement purposes.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
We have some cormorants and mergansers at Martha Lake South. But I really enjoy the aerial acrobats of the ospreys and bald eagles (bald eagels have not yet shown up in force).

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Morton finally planted on the 14th. No report about Twelve yet. So 2 weeks & a day late for Morton and 3 weeks late and counting for Twelve.
Is there a fish shortage?

I see the ones they put in Morton and most of the other SE King county lakes are dinks at 3 per pound from Puyallup hatchery. The same hatchery that planted all the same lakes last year with 2.50 fish per pound.
Seems the trout growing season sucked this year. Oh well, better line up the 3 wt!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Twelve was planted on 4/18. I hit it on Saturday afternoon. Only 2 other parties fishing, one of which was a couple fly fishing. The other was a boat full of local kids. The fish were willing and pretty much 2 different sizes. Little dudes that were 8-9" or decent ones 12-13". The decent ones are not holdovers and the little ones are not "wild/native" or fry plants. They were all clearly hatchery raised fish that had just been dumped in.
Very interesting given that the plant is reported as 2.60 fish per pound. Definitely 2 distinct batches within that plant.

They were fun on the 4wt, especially the nicer ones! Taking the 3wt next time.

T

Tombraider

7 lakes area has been cleaned out by those black birds for the most part. We did ok today on ki. Only place we seen rises so launched there. Loones on this pond, rather see them.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ki today smaller then yesterday's but we eat.
When I lived in Monroe I would fish Ki this time of year. My favorite method was to motor up wind in my 7' Livington, usually to the west, and then drift back with the wind. I would fish a 2wt rod with a dry line and a chironomid or a leech. I would stand up and just drift the line behind the boat. Didn't even have to cast, just let out line. The takes would be pretty savage, and the 2wt would make them all feel like monsters. Miss those days!

T

Tombraider

The Croni hatch was big this morning. Will go without wife for that. 2 fellas in scout looking things having much fun.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Never caught a brown trout of any size in the lake and i fish it a lot with my son. Never seen anyone catch one either, it seems like a wasted effort on WDFW's behalf.

One thing is for sure, the cormorants are out in force right now chomping down stockers left and right....
About 10+ years ago I brought my fly rod and spinning rod out to the dock close to the bathhouse on the west side. I put a castmaster lure on my spinning rod and was surprised to catch a 12” brown trout.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
About 10+ years ago I brought my fly rod and spinning rod out to the dock close to the bathhouse on the west side. I put a castmaster lure on my spinning rod and was surprised to catch a 12” brown trout.
There's obviously some uniqueness there. I give it odds they're present at good size. Doubt many are targeting, which you have to, and if that were me the last thing I'd do is talk.

That said, I know of similar lakes where they are just food for other species, depending on what else is there. Plus, it's missing the tell tale sign of some yay-hoo or kid who accidentally yanks one up and puts the picture all over the airwaves. I saw mention of Martha South/AM, it actually had browns years back and I remember a couple of kids pulling up not one, but two rather large old browns, and it made the local papers.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yesterday, March 26, I crossed Tiger Pass driving by the Little Pend Oreille chain of lakes. No stocking there, all are frozen including the lowest elevation lake in the chain. On the way home after a dry drive over, I hit snow on the way back and near the summit there was over an inch of slush on the pavement. Just another day on the frozen tundra...