WA Stocking Schedule Release?

Divad

Whitefish
Does anybody know when the 2023 stocking plan will be released? I noticed a bunch of fishing derbies have their dates set likely corresponding to stocking info received. Oregon looks to have theirs released already, is this the standard operating procedure for our stocking plan or did I miss something?

T

Tombraider

I look every day for region 4. Nothing yet sept 3 in Bellingham area. Mid-March should start the planting I'd think. Lakes South get fish and this year been getting Steelhead in lakes. That lake Fly Fish Dan hits across the Narrows I'd like to find?

Divad

Whitefish
I look every day for region 4. Nothing yet sept 3 in Bellingham area. Mid-March should start the planting I'd think. Lakes South get fish and this year been getting Steelhead in lakes. That lake Fly Fish Dan hits across the Narrows I'd like to find?

I too watch those in season plants and they often have plants outside the plan but hoping the future plans get posted in
1677969765342.png

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
WDFW doesn't put much detail in theirs. Here is from the 2022 plan:
Stocking Month: Exact dates are not known at this time. Stocking timing will be left to the convenience of the hatcheries.

And even when the hatcheries plant, they don't update the WDFW website on purpose. They don't want every Tom, Dick & Bubba to show up and catch them right there at the truck. I actually think this is smart. It gives the fish time to spread out and more overall opportunity for everyone to fish for them. They tend to update the website a couple days after they've planted. Local bird (mergansers and cormorants) activity can sometimes dictate their planting as well.

So, as frustrating as it is to not know when/if your local lake will be or has been planted, it at least might mean more fish when you finally get there.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
For our region the annual stocking really doesn't change, so past annual plans give a good idea of future plantings. Plantings are updated regularly in the catchables section. Past catchable reports (the archive link on the page) are also good predictors of the future plant times. I use these resources to plan. This came out thursday, so the boys got to fish in cold wind this morning. My experience is the fish disperse quickly, and show all over the lakes with a few minutes.
1677972527479.png
20230304_092623.jpg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For our region the annual stocking really doesn't change, so past annual plans give a good idea of future plantings. Plantings are updated regularly in the catchables section. Past catchable reports (the archive link on the page) are also good predictors of the future plant times. I use these resources to plan. This came out thursday, so the boys got to fish in cold wind this morning. My experience is the fish disperse quickly, and show all over the lakes with a few minutes.
View attachment 56713
View attachment 56714

Perfect set-up for young anglers.
Catch a few fish then head to Micky D’s when they get cold and hungry!
SF

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Perfect set-up for young anglers.
Catch a few fish then head to Micky D’s when they get cold and hungry!
SF
That will be our spring Wednesdays when I pick him up from school on early release. Go fish, play, ice cream cone. We've done some the last couple years but I have a feeling this year he will get the fly rod going by himself. It's just blowing too hard now to try.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Green lake Seattle.
Mar 13, 2023Rainbow5,7382.50
There 'ya go. This is where we learned catch and release on a fly rod is more fun than bait! Tune up your casting, try out some new stocker patterns, maybe even tube it and check your gear before bigger adventures. Bonus point for GIANT goldfish bycatch.

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
It has begun...get ready to fight off the shore anglers, get a lot of questions about your float tubes, and dirty looks when the power-baiters have to reel in their lines that they cast across the boat launches when you launch and return. But also it's active fishing so that's worth it.

I like to look at the stocking archive if the plans aren't updated as they tend to stock around the same times each year. Gives you a rough idea of when a particular lake will get stocked. Also lets you see all the jumbos that got planted over the winter and sparks the hope that you'll be the one to catch the elusive record-setting holdover.