Trout Spey on the deschutes question.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
I saw that forecast and damn near played hooky...oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for whatever the temps are on Sat...

with regard to flies, what's a "pocket rocket"?
Just another leech pattern, cast very well on small trout speys and works.

R

RyRy82

Had a blast today up from town. Went 0-3 on the swing. Had two fish give me head shakes with one coming out of the water while giving me the fin. Not sure why I couldn’t hook up today. The grabs were soft. No problem finding slow swinging water up from the gate. A little more difficult below. Hooked a larger short finned grayling under and indicator. Water had a little color. We will be back at it tomorrow but might check out the river below town. It was a beautiful day. Got pretty gusty in the afternoon. Thanks for all the info. Hoping tomorrow I can keep them buttoned!

92C99E8E-44D2-4B25-9901-2AE0AD56153D.jpegD502630B-2212-4843-929C-22A9E9E39E90.jpeg7BEC09E9-2C0C-4EEA-9DF4-3511BC9E0D0A.jpeg4C3B3271-0511-4BF0-8744-D9B02DE46641.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Had a blast today up from town. Went 0-3 on the swing. Had two fish give me head shakes with one coming out of the water while giving me the fin. Not sure why I couldn’t hook up today. The grabs were soft. No problem finding slow swinging water up from the gate. A little more difficult below. Hooked a larger short finned grayling under and indicator. Water had a little color. We will be back at it tomorrow but might check out the river below town. It was a beautiful day. Got pretty gusty in the afternoon. Thanks for all the info. Hoping tomorrow I can keep them buttoned!

View attachment 4738View attachment 4739View attachment 4740View attachment 4741
Get it!

Can you swing eggs? Asking for a friend..

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd fish upstream of Maupin.. the further downstream you go the poorer the trout fishing. In a general sense.

I would second this advice. I am always in search of steelhead on the D but my once l incidental catches of quality trout are greater above Maupin. Olive leaches and the like are a good bet, again take this as incidental success for me. They are really cool fish. I plan to go back there and fish for trout. I'm just such a struggling trout angler the hatches etc intimidate me. I'll probably just swing streamers in the area above.