Tips to dry out wading boots

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
I have some older Patagonia boots that take forever to dry. It’s not a huge deal but I’d like to avoid mildew and or other smelly shit from propagating in there.

Does anyone have any tips besides putting them in front of a fan? Or to not worry about it?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I have some older Patagonia boots that take forever to dry. It’s not a huge deal but I’d like to avoid mildew and or other smelly shit from propagating in there.

Does anyone have any tips besides putting them in front of a fan? Or to not worry about it?
Yeah - my Patagonia boots - foot tractors - seem to be specifically constructed for max water retention.
One thing I do is keep a couple of old hand towels in the garage. Remove sole inserts, rinse boots, and let them drain upside down while putting other gear away. Then stuff a towel into each boot, stand on top of them to force water out of the boot materials and into the towels. Remove the soaked towels and bring the boots into the warm laundry room to dry.
Bonus if you have a boot dryer like Tom's!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yeah - my Patagonia boots - foot tractors - seem to be specifically constructed for max water retention.
One thing I do is keep a couple of old hand towels in the garage. Remove sole inserts, rinse boots, and let them drain upside down while putting other gear away. Then stuff a towel into each boot, stand on top of them to force water out of the boot materials and into the towels. Remove the soaked towels and bring the boots into the warm laundry room to dry.
Wow! A few more steps than I take (not saying you might be a tad retentive - no fly fisher is retentive). ;-) I've always liked to rinse my boots and waders when I get home. Alas! Poor Buzzy - this time of year all the garden hoses are winterized so I make do with rinsing boots in the utility sink and then leave them in a boot pan in our forced air heated utility room. The waders - they hang in the garage - till dry.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That's a good observation. Those orvis boots don't hold water but I blot the Korkers with old towels.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
My rule of thumb: If my wading boots are dry, I'm not fishing enough.......
Even when I'm out every day in the summer it's the same ritual, and I seem to get a lot of days out of a pair of boot.
I used to wonder why I dried my work boots as they were wet 5 minutes out of the rig anyways.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Wow! A few more steps than I take (not saying you might be a tad retentive - no fly fisher is retentive). ;-) I've always liked to rinse my boots and waders when I get home. Alas! Poor Buzzy - this time of year all the garden hoses are winterized so I make do with rinsing boots in the utility sink and then leave them in a boot pan in our forced air heated utility room. The waders - they hang in the garage - till dry.
Hahaha - the difference is that
A) Mine are often salty, which requires a more thorough rinse
B) I swear the Pati's are constructed from that stuff florists use to keep arrangements supplied with water for weeks
and C) You live in a desert, whereas I have a dehumidifier going in my garage 24/7!

Replicant

Steelhead
So, I'm not alone on the Patagonia sponges. I don't have as much trouble in fresh water and sun where I live, but if I'm in the sound, I can pull them out of the back of my car, two days later and they are still dripping. Ugghh!

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin I was fishin
I've got a couple of Peet boot dryers. Had them for years. The one I keep in the garage has extensions on it so you can stick your waders on there if you want. The extensions make it a little top heavy and the base has broken. I repaired the base with Gorilla Glue and some reinforment so it doesn't tip over.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I hang my waders inside out from the shower curtain rod in the bathroom in cool weather so they're dry asap.
Wading boots dry in the bathtub in cool wet weather or outside when warm.
I used to use the old school stuff with newspapers prior to breathable waders.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
The Peet boot dryer has been great, from my White's to wading boots been using it forever. Rinse well then drain a bit then on they go.
View attachment 4264
I saw a Peet dryer at a friend's place, then used one at a cabin I've stayed at and it works pretty well.

I looked around and the prices seemed a little to ridiculously high for a simple passive convection boot dryer.

I found a site like this one but only needed-wanted a 2 boot manifold.

So I sketched this out. I found the 2-speed dual temp hair dryer at the Goodwill for under $5 and the total for parts was under $30.
20220217_072425.jpg

20220217_072326.jpg

20220217_072538.jpg
I used a rubber T so it would have some flexibility for the size of the hair dryer nozzle.
I didn’t glue the T to the boot tubes so I can take it apart to stow in plastic wash basin I use for my boots when traveling - we've been staying at a cabin @ Hood Canal for a few days.
I used masking tape to block the heat switch so I can't move it to the high heat position. The temp at the top of the tubes is 80° F.
After rinsing it takes ~4 hours to dry these *Chota* boots, less for my Korkers.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I saw a Peet dryer at a friend's place, then used one at a cabin I've stayed at and it works pretty well.

I looked around and the prices seemed a little to ridiculously high for a simple passive convection boot dryer.

I found a site like this one but only needed-wanted a 2 boot manifold.

So I sketched this out. I found the 2-speed dual temp hair dryer at the Goodwill for under $5 and the total for parts was under $30.
View attachment 5652

View attachment 5653

View attachment 5654
I used a rubber T so it would have some flexibility for the size of the hair dryer nozzle.
I didn’t glue the T to the boot tubes so I can take it apart to stow in plastic wash basin I use for my boots when traveling - we've been staying at a cabin @ Hood Canal for a few days.
I used masking tape to block the heat switch so I can't move it to the high heat position. The temp at the top of the tubes is 80° F.
After rinsing it takes ~4 hours to dry these Chaco boots, less for my Korkers.
That's pretty handy. When I got my first redwing loggers for work, the guy at Saager's put a peet dryer on the counter and said you want this too, along with a new tin of mink oil, and showed me how to care for them. That Peet's is now probably under a nickel a month pro rated. Probably saved even more by prolonging the life of the boots over 40 years (got that april '92?). Didn't really have the extra $ then, but glad I did it.