NFR Time Share Exit Advice?

Non-fishing related

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Yeah, hope you find a reasonable way out. I'm sure there is, some good advise spoken for sure.

My wife and I lived through a few of those sales pitches.

Even in business, the lightbulb sales pitches and free cooler of meat, beer or salmon they would send you if you ordered from Mr. Lightbulb man for cheaper than dirt. They always promise a gift for just chatting. Still waiting,... after 20 years.

ps. Never ordered from Mr Lightbulb man either.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Like @jasmillo my wife and I have been there as well a few years ago but this was pretty much my brothers fault :) He was busy couldn’t make it and said we should go to this Vacation Internationale company in Tukwila to listen to a seminar in exchange for free airline tickets to Disneyland. We thought it could be good since we have kids, had no idea what we were walking into :)

We listened to this guy’s pitch about vacation timeshare although he claimed it was not a timeshare and yep he used all the sales tactics including questioning our intelligence for not taking this awesome offer.

I can’t remember how many times I had to say no until his boss comes out, sorry no is no.

At the same time in the next room we can hear them working on another couple who finally succumbed and signed, omg those sales guys were so happy they all came in clapping 🤣

They finally relented and gave us the ticket vouchers but with all the restrictions on there it flew into the recycling bin pretty swiftly.

Good luck Ira! My wife’s cousin is stuck in a Cancun timeshare too. They go every year :)

RCF

Life of the Party
@Irafly I wish you the best in your travels of getting rid of the timeshare. At least you are retired and can step back, take a breath, go fishing/hunting, enjoy life and friends, then press onward and forward. While we have not met, the little I have seen on this forum makes me confident you will succeed. You always do from what I have seen.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Irafly I wish you the best in your travels of getting rid of the timeshare. At least you are retired and can step back, take a breath, go fishing/hunting, enjoy life and friends, then press onward and forward. While we have not met, the little I have seen on this forum makes me confident you will succeed. You always do from what I have seen.
Thanks, not retired though. If we were, hell we might use it.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I did the exact same thing in HI. I think it was something like 50% off a helicopter tour. I just kept saying, “sorry not interested, just here for the discounted rates”. I must have said that two dozen times as they threw every pitch they had at us. Started friendly with the usual bullshit selling points, which quickly morphed into the usual sleazeball high pressure tactics; questioning your intelligence for not making this “no brainer” deal to questioning my finances “well, obviously you cannot afford this now”. All of which was met with a shoulder shrug from both of us and me saying “we have no interest, just here for the discounted rates”. In the end, doing it that way got us out of there faster than anyone else who showed up and as a bonus, really seemed to piss off the sales guy. I’m normally not that type of person. Dude was there trying to make some money. Who am I to judge. We wanted out of there fast though. First trip and we did not want to wast a lot of time. I actually felt bad at first but as the pitch progressed and became more aggressive, I have to admit I found lots of joy in repeating that phrase the last 8-10 times I did :).

Sorry, can’t help you @Irafly but hoping you find a reasonable solution.

I turn it around. I ask if their father is proud of their career choice etc. I'm generally pretty good at finding the points of pain in someone and pressing on them if I want to. Those guys deserve no mercy. Strike hard.

Divad

Whitefish
These timeshare salesman make used car dealers sound like saints. If the latter laugh at the former, who do timeshare sales teams laugh at? Drug dealers?

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
These timeshare salesman make used car dealers sound like saints. If the latter laugh at the former, who do timeshare sales teams laugh at? Drug dealers?
Drug dealers don’t have to strongarm people into becoming customers, so they’re above timeshare sales on the pyramid. Door to door vacuum salesmen?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Nonsense. Drug dealers are simply filling an honest demand in a clandestine industry. People want and need drugs. Nobody needs a timeshare.

Sir Homey

Steelhead
Have you considered faking your own death? This would open up endless possibilities including an end to your time share problem.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Have you considered faking your own death? This would open up endless possibilities including an end to your time share problem.
This is actually not true. Watch that video I posted above at around 12 minutes 50 seconds and you'll learn about the horror you'd be dumping on your heirs via the contract's “in perpetuity” clauses. Pay close attention to the "disclaimer of interest" that must be filed with the court BY EVERY HEIR. It's pretty insane. This article on lawyers.com seems to have fairly straight forward non-timeshare-industry-biased info on the subject.

Some timeshare owners go as far as creating a trust to hold the timeshare so that their heirs aren't liable for any costs once they die.

Sir Homey

Steelhead
Well shit, I’d say you better learn to enjoy your time share then, but we’re talking Florida here 😬 Good luck

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
So, let's say you just stopped paying. Besides taking a hit on your credit, are there any other downsides?

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
My wife and I made the mistake of allowing a high pressure, not exactly truthful salesman talk us into a Vacation Rental property in Florida during our honeymoon some 20 years ago.

We would like out and honestly after a lot of reading up on it, I can’t figure out a safe exit strategy. I’d love the PNW brain trust to help me out.
I feel bad for you Ira. How many times did you actually use it?
I attended a time share pitch years ago while in Tahoe with my wife. I was upset that she agreed to go on a tour/sales pitch. She said going for 1 1/2 hours would get each of us $50 in gambling chips. When we were done we each got 5 $10 gambling chips. We couldn’t exchange them for smaller denominations. We played poker and lost in 10 minutes.
I hope you find a way to get out of the time share without spending too much money in legal fees.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
So, let's say you just stopped paying. Besides taking a hit on your credit, are there any other downsides?
They can sue and get a judgement against you, then have rights to go after your assets and even get court costs and attorney fees, all the while collecting interest on the judgement till paid...so a few downsides outside of a credit rating hit.
I have heard the bigger time share companies are more aggressive in this, as they are well funded and sometimes owned by publicly held corps.
Some companies (Wyndham) have exit programs, others will fight you all the way.
Good Luck

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No free gift, free meal, or other enticement to subject oneself to a timeshare, investment advisor, life insurance, or prepaid burial/cremation seminar is worth the pain of the experience..even if you emerge financially unscathed.

It's bad enough to have to deal with sleazy car salestaff at a dealer when that infrequent necessity arises (I've walked off more than a few car lots when the dirtball violates the ground-rules I've laid down at the beginning of the encounter.....only to be frantically followed by said dirtball who knows he's going to get an ass-chewing by the sales boss for letting me leave).

As for stopping payment on a contractual obligation (as Mossback describes above) there can be considerable ramifications.

Many years ago, my son (along with several of his dipshit friends) decided he would join the Columbia Record Club, order a few albums, and not pay....after all, what could they do for such minor items? He found out...a court summary judgment (automatic if you ignore that notice), court costs, attorney fees, and collection fees...all to the tune of about $600.

There's a whole cottage industry that thrives on consumer contract non-compliance.

Burn down the time share company office. Fire cleanses all.

Flymph

Steelhead
How close are you to the water? If close, just make sure you have adequate insurance and time will take care of the rest without resorting to fire.

Reactions: NRC