NFR Time Share Exit Advice?

Non-fishing related

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife and I made the mistake of allowing a high pressure, not exactly truthful salesman talk us into a Vacation Rental property in Florida during our honeymoon some 20 years ago.

We would like out and honestly after a lot of reading up on it, I can’t figure out a safe exit strategy. I’d love the PNW brain trust to help me out.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Burn it. Make it look like an accident. I suggest a burned out RV in close proximity to get suspicion off of you. It's Florida so there's no shortage of nefarious redneck know how at your disposal. I got a set of mud tires you can use to bargain with them. Remember the longer the mullet the more the know how in the dark arts of arson.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
There are companies that advertise getting you out of timeshares. Don’t know how legit they are. Their commercials sound a bit sketchy in my opinion.
One of them has been advertising their services quite a bit here locally lately.
Good luck with this.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
There are companies that advertise getting you out of timeshares. Don’t know how legit they are. Their commercials sound a bit sketchy in my opinion.
One of them has been advertising their services quite a bit here locally lately.
Good luck with this.
SF
I've never been on either side of this debacle, but I've heard the exit companies are as big or bigger scams than the timeshares themselves.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've never been on either side of this debacle, but I've heard the exit companies are as big or bigger scams than the timeshares themselves.

This is why arson is attractive. I can't believe these companies can operate legally. I can't believe people still sign on for it. I sat through one of their bullshit deals in Hawaii to get deals elsewhere and it was comical. They let me and my lady go rather quickly as I explained I would sign nothing and was in fact there to scam them. I made it known my goal was to make them spend as much energy while I stroked them for as long as possible. I made it clear that was my kick. I got off on watching their eyes light up when I picked up the pen and asked where to sign then put it down to ,"I just don't know". We were out of the in minutes.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I assume you’ve already checked about deeding it back, but if you don’t have a loan for it you could consider stopping paying the maintenance and other fees as a way to pressure them to let you surrender it.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Definitely consult an attorney, at least get a sit down with one. My folks had a time share, wanted out and ended up being let out by the time share company who did not want to do the court case their attorney suggested. Every situation is different, as is every company...even state by state rules can differ.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Yep, that is why I mentioned it possibly being sketchy. The commercials sound eerily similar to the ones advertised debt consolidation or cancellation.
SF

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
This is why arson is attractive. I can't believe these companies can operate legally. I can't believe people still sign on for it. I sat through one of their bullshit deals in Hawaii to get deals elsewhere and it was comical. They let me and my lady go rather quickly as I explained I would sign nothing and was in fact there to scam them. I made it known my goal was to make them spend as much energy while I stroked them for as long as possible. I made it clear that was my kick. I got off on watching their eyes light up when I picked up the pen and asked where to sign then put it down to ,"I just don't know". We were out of the in minutes.
bro🤣🤣🤣

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I rewatched that John Oliver segment again after posting. And I gotta say, we all should send that to everyone we know who might stumble into a timeshare pitch or be tempted by it.

Such a terrible industry.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
My wife and I made the mistake of allowing a high pressure, not exactly truthful salesman talk us into a Vacation Rental property in Florida during our honeymoon some 20 years ago.
We would like out and honestly after a lot of reading up on it, I can’t figure out a safe exit strategy. I’d love the PNW brain trust to help me out.
Burn it. Make it look like an accident. I suggest a burned out RV in close proximity to get suspicion off of you. It's Florida so there's no shortage of nefarious redneck know how at your disposal. I got a set of mud tires you can use to bargain with them. Remember the longer the mullet the more the know how in the dark arts of arson.
Um, if you decide on this approach, ask the mods to delete this thread. Well, then again that would make it an even larger conspiracy.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
...I sat through one of their bullshit deals in Hawaii to get deals elsewhere and it was comical. They let me and my lady go rather quickly as I explained I would sign nothing and was in fact there to scam them. I made it known my goal was to make them spend as much energy while I stroked them for as long as possible. I made it clear that was my kick. I got off on watching their eyes light up when I picked up the pen and asked where to sign then put it down to ,"I just don't know". We were out of the in minutes.
I did the same thing to get a discount on a 4-night stay at a resort on business trip for training in Las Vegas, then going on to Tucson to visit with family where my wife accompanying me and the Tucson leg couldn't be expensed.

This thread is quite the coincidence. My brother has gotten a lot of use out of his Timeshare. His extended family and friends; sometimes upwards of 2 dozen people o_O have accompanied him and my SiL on trips to some cool places, taking the same flight, and all stay at the timeshare location for what he says is a fraction of what it would cost everyone at a regular resort. He must be arranging some sort of sublet deals with other "owners" desperately trying to recoup some of their costs. I'm going to EWA rockhounding with him this weekend and will ask.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know nothing about this industry other than my dad is part of some sort of timeshare/points situation with Wyndham Hotels. He uses it all over, from Mexico, to Spain and in Portland when he visits.

Curious if it’s a scam or not.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If it’s to good to be true don’t !!!!

No one wants to make you happy other than the fly shop where you spend 3K every year. Believe me. 😂

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

I did the exact same thing in HI. I think it was something like 50% off a helicopter tour. I just kept saying, “sorry not interested, just here for the discounted rates”. I must have said that two dozen times as they threw every pitch they had at us. Started friendly with the usual bullshit selling points, which quickly morphed into the usual sleazeball high pressure tactics; questioning your intelligence for not making this “no brainer” deal to questioning my finances “well, obviously you cannot afford this now”. All of which was met with a shoulder shrug from both of us and me saying “we have no interest, just here for the discounted rates”. In the end, doing it that way got us out of there faster than anyone else who showed up and as a bonus, really seemed to piss off the sales guy. I’m normally not that type of person. Dude was there trying to make some money. Who am I to judge. We wanted out of there fast though. First trip and we did not want to wast a lot of time. I actually felt bad at first but as the pitch progressed and became more aggressive, I have to admit I found lots of joy in repeating that phrase the last 8-10 times I did :).

Sorry, can’t help you @Irafly but hoping you find a reasonable solution.