NFR This stove rocks!

Non-fishing related

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
We've been using an electric induction stove for the last last 15 years. I like it. It's a snap to clean. We use mostly stainless cookware but my wife cooks with cast iron on it too. You have to use induction ready cookware so we had to buy some new pots and pans. I've never cooked with gas except when I cooked at the Copper Kitchen in downtown Seattle in the 80's. That's a whole different kind of cooking! View attachment 92261
Your induction stove is where I see the future of stoves heading. Our daughter had an induction stove at her house in Japan, I cooked on it quite often and really liked it. Instant heat and quick to cool. Nice stove!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Have induction stoves improved any since the 1st wave of them around 2006?? I remember the one in my rental being a p.o.s. whirlpool that I replaced the top on 3 times and it catching fire one day when my housemate was using it to cook breakfast ( I was out of state on business). That experience left a bad impression with me about them.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Have induction stoves improved any since the 1st wave of them around 2006?? I remember the one in my rental being a p.o.s. whirlpool that I replaced the top on 3 times and it catching fire one day when my housemate was using it to cook breakfast ( I was out of state on business). That experience left a bad impression with me about them.
The induction stove I cooked on heated almost instantly, the burners turned off after one hour of use and requried restarting (takes five seconds), if a pot boils over, the cook cycle stops, if you remove the pan/pot from the burner area the burner turns off (ain't that a cool function for senior citizens who forget to turn off burners). In my opinion, the induction stove we used was safe and worked far better than my cheesy glass top stove.

Given recent reports that several states and the feds want to ban gas cookware, it seems induction stoves may be the what is a the better replacement than the crap sold at the big box stores.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin I was fishin
Our induction is a JennAire brand and have never had any issues with it. I think we purchased it in 2009. The features Buzzy mentions above are true. The only draw back I can think of is that it's a glass top and you have to be careful with big heavy stuff like cast iron.

flybill

Life of the Party
I can't believe how much this thread has gone off! I was just doing a humble, not so humble brag.. and BOOM! NFR thread blows up! Carry on! Let's talk dutch ovens next.. or the best all season tires.. I'll start the shit up! LOL!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I can't believe how much this thread has gone off! I was just doing a humble, not so humble brag.. and BOOM! NFR thread blows up! Carry on! Let's talk dutch ovens next.. or the best all season tires.. I'll start the shit up! LOL!

2 (2).jpg

You ask, you get: Dutch oven at your service, Ms. Martha Stewart (from Macys) - great patina on the enamel, eh! So back to stove tops, a big box store glass top. The damn burners cycle on and off constantly, they stay on when there's a boil over (it happens), stay hot for 20 - 30 minutes after use (sure, there's a little red warning light indicating so) and they stay on if you remove a pot and forget to turn off the burner.

(preparation for tikka masala with raw onion salad - try it, you'll like it.)

flybill

Life of the Party
I've got two dutch ovens, a cast iron camp chef one and a ceramic coated one, I'm using now to bake a loaf of sourdough bread! I'll take some pictures soon!

JudyM

Steelhead
Given recent reports that several states and the feds want to ban gas cookware, it seems induction stoves may be the what is a the better replacement than the crap sold at the big box stores.
The previous Mayor of Milwaukie, Oregon made it so that all new construction must be electric and current gas users in existing homes will be phased out. Let's see how that works out next time there is an Ice/snowstorm. I am in unincorporated Clackamas County in an all-electric casa that I am renting built in the late 60's. Have an El Cheapo electric stove that is much better than the old 60's electric stove that took forever to heat up. Love the ones that are being shown on this thread.

Chad D.

Smolt
A few things I’ll put in, heading back to the beginning of this thread.

It was already figured out, but the majority of micro-hoods can be configured for interior filtered circulation or exterior venting. When you take the thing out of the box for install, you need to ensure that the blower motor is installed for the application you want. They index into the receptacle differently for each option.

CFM…. Yes, more is better. But, once you get over (I believe) 400 CFM, code requires makeup air to be introduced. Without that, you won’t see the full performance of that fancy new fan.

I believe induction is the future. I love cooking on gas, but induction will be my next system. For all the reasons noted above. The new gear is light years ahead of the industry’s initial offerings, and it’s so much closer to the gas experience now.

Dutch ovens are fun. We use them a lot.

Whisky cabinets are even more fun. Dibs on that Four Roses Small Batch…

flybill

Life of the Party
I have the same set up, but mine is able to keep the same time.View attachment 92423
The AI has taken over my stove and oven.. time is relative! I have to check in the stove and make sure the wormhole isn't there and that the aliens aren't trying to steal my sourdough bread or stuffed chicken! Damn aliens! Beam it back Scotty! I'm hungry! LOL!

Last edited: