Things you know now that you wish you did back then

cedarslug

Steelhead
You, yes you! You're probably a competent angler now! Those years of whacking through brush, losing your flies to casting knots, and falling in the river made you the angler you are now today.

But what about back then? Back when you first started out fly fishing. You were probably some pathetic try hard that failed and failed over again, until you tried something new and found success. Or maybe you were the kid in the back of the class that was too shy to ask questions, and always left in behind. Well here's your chance to help out those novices, beginners, and n00bz. More importantly, this is your opportunity to admit something that you wish you had known back then.

I'll start...

Wading Safety

We're lucky to have numerous freestone streams and rivers in the PNW. We're also fortunate to have access to coastal water and beaches. That being said, rocks can be slippery here, and sneaker waves can quietly take you out. Take out those dang earbuds, and be aware of your surroundings. Wade cautiously through water, bring a wading staff, and take smaller steps. Polarized glasses will help you see bottom. And if you can't see bottom, assume each step is going end well. Careful of bigger rocks that may look tempting for your foot to land, but are often times have the smoothest of surfaces. Make sure your waders are cinched up correctly, so when you do fall, you are keeping excess water from pouring into your waders. Lastly, don't cast and move at the same time! Stay planted and cast - you're neither that coordinated nor athletic.

TL;DR

• Bring polarized glasses
• Use wading staff
• Watch out for slippery stuff
• Smaller steps
• Cinch and secure up those waders
• No casting and moving

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I wish I would have slowed down, and realize it wasn’t about catching as many fish as I possibly could.

I wish I would have taken more time to relax and enjoy the moment, have a sip of Whiskey or taken a nap :)

Xoxo

@Replicant, I too wish I had started earlier. And I wish i had a dad or uncle or aunt who took me out fishing. I didn’t start until i was 40. I was very naive and had NO idea how difficult fly fishing would be because i had never caught a fish in my life. But i quickly learned that it was not going to be easy and hired guides, took quite a few classes and read a lot. I’m still crappy at it. Pretty much like how i bowl now. And now it’s difficult to do either one of those.

The only thing i was ever much good at was running and now i can’t do that either (so now i walk for excercise, but it’s so boring the times i have no partner, though running was something i liked doing alone). I’m not as old as OMJ, but i sometimes feel like it! Damn. After turning 60 things just started getting messed up.

So yeah i wish i started when i was 12 or at least 20.

Xoxo

I wish I would have slowed down, and realize it wasn’t about catching as many fish as I possibly could.

I wish I would have taken more time to relax and enjoy the moment, have a sip of Whiskey or taken a nap :)
I like this @Bob Rankin !

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I was going to school in Bellingham in the early 80's. I did fly fish for trout, but used my spinning rod for steelhead. If only I had gone down to the skagit at the time and asked more questions about those long fly rods people used with both hands...... It gets worse, then moved to Pullman still fished for steelhead with a gear rod, should have paid attention to the few who were using those funny long two-handed rods again on the Snake and Clearwater.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wish I started sooner.

I grew up gear fishing with my Dad but stopped when I moved East when I was 18. I picked up fly fishing about about 4 years ago when I was living 10 minutes from a middling, but fun, trout stream. I also started 2 weeks after my kid was born so I've yet to really go on any "epic" fishing trips and don't quite get to fish as much as I want (about every 2 weeks, but hoping to change that this summer with some urban Bass). I really wish I started pre kid and could have taken some (now) bucket list road trips--but they'll still happen in due time. With this all being said, I do think it's given me a bit of perspective in terms of enjoying every little bit of time on the water I can get as well as maximizing my time thinking about fishing off the water by tying, attending club meetings, forum etc. I really, really, really dove in head first in 4 years with a fly rod, and it's only looking up from here.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I started fish with a hand line at about 11. I could never afford a rod. My first rod I bought from collecting bottles was a 3 piece Bamboo rod with two tips. I paid 15 bucks for it new. But I fished mostly with a hand line. I lived in Bremerton at the time and fished off the ferry docks for Perch, Bullheads and True Cod. Used jumbo shrimp for bait. Shrimp in those days only cost 10 cents a pound.

Family moved to West Park at 12. That's when I found my true love. Skinny water. That started me on a journey that I'm still on. I wandered all over the place looking for creeks to fish. and I found them.

RCF

Life of the Party
I was very lucky to start fishing with my dad when I was about 5 years old. A very patient dad that enjoyed the scenery as much, if not more, than catching beautiful fish. Take time to take in your surroundings, listen for birds and animals, listen to the many different sounds of the water going by. Hear your breath? If you do it is the rushing of stress out of your mind and body. Now relax and take in more - it is healthy for you.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Always push yourself to improve as a fly angler and fly tyer. Don't stagnate or become content with your routine. Try new fisheries each year and learn from anglers who are already doing it well. Fish with the best fly anglers possible and learn from them (including guides). Read about new places and make deliberate plans and preparations to fish them.

RCF

Life of the Party
Ever see a rock near shore move? You have? PSSST here is a secret. That ain't a rock it is a big ass mudda fudda.. Cast a few feet in front of it and if your line tightens see how much fun it is catching that 'rock'...

RCF

Life of the Party
The fish are there. You and I both know it. Fishing is great and all of a sudden it shuts down. Did a big bird fly by? Wait a few minutes or so and then go back fishing. If fishing does not pickup no need to make froth and bubbles on the water. Take the afternoon off, get something to eat, take a nap, have a beer. Then go back fishing. The fish are still there...

Slimy Deck

Watch your step
I wish I'd have learned to double-haul far sooner.

My initial ff foray was to catch educated and spooky striped bass slurping shad in slick water, and any attempt with gear would send them deep. So, my correct rationale was to attempt with a subtle fly approach and I caught plenty that I wouldn't have with gear, but needed to do it from as far back as possible. Unlike gear, the harder I threw the more my my cast would collapse and fall short. 50'-60' feet was max. Today, with the same IM6 7wt rod, 90' is doable with less effort because of the line speed generated by a double haul that loads that rod nearly to the cork. With current technology, it's into the backing.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Been flyfishing over 60 years. Had several significant lulls in fishing over the decades as life and work demands held sway. My main observation is that I should have fished more, and worked far less.

While I can distinctly remember a great many specific fishing days with gratitude and good feelings, there were few work days that generate such positive memories.

Last edited: