Things you know now that you wish you did back then

cedarslug

Steelhead
You, yes you! You're probably a competent angler now! Those years of whacking through brush, losing your flies to casting knots, and falling in the river made you the angler you are now today.

But what about back then? Back when you first started out fly fishing. You were probably some pathetic try hard that failed and failed over again, until you tried something new and found success. Or maybe you were the kid in the back of the class that was too shy to ask questions, and always left in behind. Well here's your chance to help out those novices, beginners, and n00bz. More importantly, this is your opportunity to admit something that you wish you had known back then.

I'll start...

Wading Safety

We're lucky to have numerous freestone streams and rivers in the PNW. We're also fortunate to have access to coastal water and beaches. That being said, rocks can be slippery here, and sneaker waves can quietly take you out. Take out those dang earbuds, and be aware of your surroundings. Wade cautiously through water, bring a wading staff, and take smaller steps. Polarized glasses will help you see bottom. And if you can't see bottom, assume each step is going end well. Careful of bigger rocks that may look tempting for your foot to land, but are often times have the smoothest of surfaces. Make sure your waders are cinched up correctly, so when you do fall, you are keeping excess water from pouring into your waders. Lastly, don't cast and move at the same time! Stay planted and cast - you're neither that coordinated nor athletic.

TL;DR

• Bring polarized glasses
• Use wading staff
• Watch out for slippery stuff
• Smaller steps
• Cinch and secure up those waders
• No casting and moving

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
1. Take everyone's opinion/advice with a pinch of salt.

I mentally insert "where I live", at the beginning of everything anyone says. I wasted a lot of time wondering why a lot of fly fishing gospel never worked for me. I now know it was because it was invalid for where I was or what I was doing.

2. Euro nymphing is the best way to fish, always.

It just is. Facts. This is, in no way, contradictory to #1.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
- Polarized glasses +1
- Wade belt
- Aqua Seal! A good two things before replacing any waders. 3M 5200 for any serious big tears or rips.

- Your 3wt Euro Nymph Rod deserves a lightweight 150gr skagit head. It’s a noodle that can be cast to the moon and the most fun way to fish.

- Nymphing use straight fluorocarbon

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
hmmmm I am not complaining about how things are turning out ( at the moment)

but there are some things I wish i would have done differently.

1. i spent a lot of money and time on destructive things when i was younger that I wish i wouldn't have and freeing up that time and money would have added a lot of time fishing and gaining experiences instead of some deep shame.

2. I wish i would have bought a bass boat a lot sooner. Had I done so I would have gained experience and skills earlier in life and I would have been able to make a career with it.

3. i wish i would have started big game hunting at a much younger age.

4. I wish I would have moved into the Columbia gorge in my 20s

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
1) Once I got the basics the thing I did too much was chase the latest and greatest. Always trying what was in the popular magazines.
2) I spent too much time with a dry fly, Dave Hughes' Wet Flies changed my fishing world.

On wading safety I'll share this story again:

Well it happened today. I got the biggest scare I've ever had in the water today. It was a winter low water water day so I didn't expect anything to happen. How many years have I brought a change of cloths and towel and not needed them. Well I did today, and it was in a situation in that was no where near challenging, until it became that moment. I was contact nymphing, and fishing from about shin deep about 10' back from the edge drop to a seam I was fishing along the bank, and there was a pool, with a log jam on my side, about 20 yards long about 15' below my position. I hooked a little fish, I can laugh now, and it ran straight for the pool and the log jam. Trying to keep it out I just rotated to my right a little to apply pressure. All of a sudden I could feel all the rocks move under my feet. I hit on my butt and instantly I was in that pool bobbing vertically, and I could not touch bottom. I could feel the water coming in the top of my waders, even though I had secured the top, had the wading belt on, and the waist strap from my chest pack. I do pretty good under pressure usually, and this was no different. In about a second I was going to be at a log sticking 1/2 way into the river directly below me. The log was a few inches under the surface where I was going to hit it, but the log jam end was an out. To the left was the fast current and the way around the log. Because of the way the log was situated I chose it, and in my best "Deadpool" imitation it was maximum effort. To hit the log I kicked to help get my feet up, took a quick stroke with my arm launching the rod toward the log jam as I rolled, then the current had me right on top of the log as I planned and I shimmied out, retrieved my rod, and then released the fish.
I've played in the river all my life. Not even 2 years ago my son, his buddy and I did a full wader full of water day on the river to know what it feels like. I knew that if that log had been at the surface I would have been pinned against it. As it was I could tell by the force that if I had draped my arms over it, I would not get my feet up and I'm not strong enough to pull myself out of that situation. So I would have gone under when I got tired. With a PFD I would have gone the other way. I could never have held that log with a PFD on. In this case as it was, I think if I had gone left, got my feet up and not struggled I would have hit bottom on the downstream end before my waders would have filled. As it was they were full to the knees. As usual, shit happens quick, and when you least expect it. https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/the-big-swim/151726
bigswim.jpg

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I bought my first fly rod in 1957. I have been throwing flies around since. When I first started I was a 9 to 3 caster. Now after all these years of throwing flies around I feel like I know what I'm doing. But even yet I learn something new. It seems like you learn something every time you go out.

Back in them days there was no internet and I never connected to joining a club. So it was all trial and error until I got better.. Back in those days a lot of the water that is now closed was open. I always caught fish. Even in Washington State.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m not competent yet, but here’s what I have “learned”.

Learn to read the water.

Don’t look for fish; look for their shadows and movement.

Fish prefer to maximize food input and minimize energy use and danger. Look for them where they can do that.

Presentation is more important than size, color, and even profile.

Accuracy and consistency in casting is usually more important than distance.

Wind knots have nothing to do with the wind, and are very preventable.

Tight loops are fine, but open loops are useful too. Learn to control loops.

“Sealed Drag” means “water resistant” and not “waterproof”. It’s only a matter of time before salt water gets in and f—-s stuff up. You won’t know it until it happens, because it’s sealed, and you’ll be out a reel until you can mail it to the maker and eventually get it back.

Learn to read the water.

Last edited: