Things you know now that you wish you did back then

cedarslug

Steelhead
You, yes you! You're probably a competent angler now! Those years of whacking through brush, losing your flies to casting knots, and falling in the river made you the angler you are now today.

But what about back then? Back when you first started out fly fishing. You were probably some pathetic try hard that failed and failed over again, until you tried something new and found success. Or maybe you were the kid in the back of the class that was too shy to ask questions, and always left in behind. Well here's your chance to help out those novices, beginners, and n00bz. More importantly, this is your opportunity to admit something that you wish you had known back then.

I'll start...

Wading Safety

We're lucky to have numerous freestone streams and rivers in the PNW. We're also fortunate to have access to coastal water and beaches. That being said, rocks can be slippery here, and sneaker waves can quietly take you out. Take out those dang earbuds, and be aware of your surroundings. Wade cautiously through water, bring a wading staff, and take smaller steps. Polarized glasses will help you see bottom. And if you can't see bottom, assume each step is going end well. Careful of bigger rocks that may look tempting for your foot to land, but are often times have the smoothest of surfaces. Make sure your waders are cinched up correctly, so when you do fall, you are keeping excess water from pouring into your waders. Lastly, don't cast and move at the same time! Stay planted and cast - you're neither that coordinated nor athletic.

TL;DR

• Bring polarized glasses
• Use wading staff
• Watch out for slippery stuff
• Smaller steps
• Cinch and secure up those waders
• No casting and moving

wetline dave

Steelhead
Slow down. Take the time to see what is going on.

What is flying around, where are the fish showing, how are they showing, anything floating on the surface.

Some times just walking along a gravel bank can push fish away from the edge so stopping and observing for a bit will settle things down. This leads to the next point, wade slowly and keep splashing to a minimum as fish feel vibrations and react to them.

Don't beat the water to death, Read the water for most likely lies and make good deliberate casts. If no luck move a bit and come back a little while later. There are times I may only fish 2 or 3 areas but move back and forth if they are good lies and I am sure fish are present.

Speed and hurry up are not your friend. Slow and easy is the key. Look around you never know what you might see.

Dave

Divad

Whitefish
Don’t buy the cheap zingers 😵, they’ll break inevitably one day while you’re hiking or bushwacking. Did it twice, lost both sets of forceps/nippers now only use the USA made fat cabled Boomerang ones. Wish I never bought the cheap ones.
B431854C-3C0C-4403-B676-33F54327E8D6.jpeg

Reactions: Zak

Dryflylarry

Just Hatched
Straightening your curly leader?--------------After many years of trying different techniques, this has been the best.
While stretching it at the same time, rub it briskly back and forth across the knee of your blue jeans. It works the best! Forget using rubber, etc. This is an effective way that works!

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't believe all the marketing hype. You don't need different outfits for each species of fish or type of water. Believe it or not there was a time within living memory when even truly hard-core fly anglers referred to, “My fly rod. My fly reel. My dry line. My wet line.” That was it. One rod, one reel, two lines. And they caught fish by the millions, from bluegills to silvers, on their fly rod.

Buy function, not hype. A $15 cotton shirt with no label on the pocket will function just as well as a cotton shirt with a little pocket logo priced at $65. Do you really want to pay $50 for a 5 cent label?

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Don’t buy the cheap zingers 😵, they’ll break inevitably one day while you’re hiking or bushwacking. Did it twice, lost both sets of forceps/nippers now only use the USA made fat cabled Boomerang ones. Wish I never bought the cheap ones.
View attachment 5664
I used to use a fanny pack when I was fishing the Sauk in the summer time. Just didn't take the weight on my shoulders from a vest. I would pin my nippers to the fanny pack. I lost a few pairs of nippers that way. It took losing three pair that way. I'm a slow learner.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Straightening your curly leader?--------------After many years of trying different techniques, this has been the best.
While stretching it at the same time, rub it briskly back and forth across the knee of your blue jeans. It works the best! Forget using rubber, etc. This is an effective way that works!
I just stretch mine. That usually does the trick. But I'll try the rub on the jeans thing.

Don't believe all the marketing hype. You don't need different outfits for each species of fish or type of water. Believe it or not there was a time within living memory when even truly hard-core fly anglers referred to, “My fly rod. My fly reel. My dry line. My wet line.” That was it. One rod, one reel, two lines. And they caught fish by the millions, from bluegills to silvers, on their fly rod.

Buy function, not hype. A $15 cotton shirt with no label on the pocket will function just as well as a cotton shirt with a little pocket logo priced at $65. Do you really want to pay $50 for a 5 cent label?
I actually laughed out loud a few years ago when fiberglass three weights became the new must have. I mean sure I bought one, but come on, how stupid do they think we are?

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I only have 7 rods and reels. I bought my 3wt about 10 years ago. I was never one to covert a new fly rod. What I have is good enough for me. They all catch fish so I don't need the next new flyrod. If these new rods would tie on a fly by it's self, I'd be willing to take it up with it. Besides I only fish when it's warm out. May through September. And only use my TFO 7'9" 3wt finesse rod. I only fish small skinny water. If I do hit bigger water I will set up my 9' 5wt GL3. That it for me.

Reactions: Zak

Divad

Whitefish
I only have 7 rods and reels. I bought my 3wt about 10 years ago. I was never one to covert a new fly rod. What I have is good enough for me. They all catch fish so I don't need the next new flyrod. If these new rods would tie on a fly by it's self, I'd be willing to take it up with it. Besides I only fish when it's warm out. May through September. And only use my TFO 7'9" 3wt finesse rod. I only fish small skinny water. If I do hit bigger water I will set up my 9' 5wt GL3. That it for me.
Sounds like you better have an extra tip in tube for that tfo. You know, incase you have to poke a bear. I resonate with your practicality, you don’t need a crazy deep quiver.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
I was going to school in Bellingham in the early 80's. I did fly fish for trout, but used my spinning rod for steelhead. If only I had gone down to the skagit at the time and asked more questions about those long fly rods people used with both hands...... It gets worse, then moved to Pullman still fished for steelhead with a gear rod, should have paid attention to the few who were using those funny long two-handed rods again on the Snake and Clearwater.
There was some good steelhead fishing up this way back then, big nates!