Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Divad

Whitefish
If this is yours in the pic, I think that combo will really pop once you get the finish on it, without overpowering the colour of the blank...Gonna be nice !
That is mine with the temporary wraps for test casting on it. Were you referring to a blue wrap? I am going to try the two out tonight, I have pretty much every ProWrap shade of blue to play with 😁

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was thinking you'd done a combo of white/gray with blue trim bands (I guess was temp wrap) I would make sure you have a good contrast with the blue.
If you try to match the blue blank, and the shade is off, it can spoil/waste the effect. IMO, better to have a good contrast, w/o overpowering the nice blue blank. I recently built on a blue blank and tried to match with blue...If I were to do again, I would go with more of a contrast.

blue fiberglass 2.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was thinking you'd done a combo of white/gray with blue trim bands (I guess was temp wrap) I would make sure you have a good contrast with the blue.
If you try to match the blue blank, and the shade is off, it can spoil/waste the effect. IMO, better to have a good contrast, w/o overpowering the nice blue blank. I recently built on a blue blank and tried to match with blue...If I were to do again, I would go with more of a contrast.

View attachment 111369
Goes to show we all have differening tastes. I actually prefer the tone on tone look you have here.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
I have an old Sage gear rod blank (GSH 390) I've had for many years (30+!) and it's time to turn it into a rod. I used to get my rod building materials from Angler's Workshop or Schoff's but they're but memories now.

Can anyone recommend a good place to find components for handles and reel seat for this rod? I still have the Fuji NSG guides I bought long ago and will use them.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I have an old Sage gear rod blank (GSH 390) I've had for many years (30+!) and it's time to turn it into a rod. I used to get my rod building materials from Angler's Workshop or Schoff's but they're but memories now.

Can anyone recommend a good place to find components for handles and reel seat for this rod? I still have the Fuji NSG guides I bought long ago and will use them.
Schoff’s……that brings back some old memories! Check out Mudhole for rod building components.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
An update. I got some cork from here, and I got the “super flor”.

Extremely high quality cork, and while not cheap, not THAT expensive at $26

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Did some thread tests last night. The plan is for the bulk of my wraps to be clear with some tipping. Not sure if I’ll tip everything or if I’ll just do the ferrules/tip top/winding check. The three wraps with the black tape are my “clear” tests. The natural silk on the far right has some white showing through whereas the light primrose on the left is the most clear (the middle is actually a wasabi green, but doesn't look great regardless).. I’ll probably run with the primrose on the leftas my main wraps. For tipping I’ll either go with the bright red or maybe go boring and tip in black.

I want to try more colors, but don't necessarily want to shell out $6 a spool to test out for tipping, ha!

IMG_8687.jpeg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m case you don’t keep an eye out in the classifieds.

Divad

Whitefish
Did some thread tests last night. The plan is for the bulk of my wraps to be clear with some tipping. Not sure if I’ll tip everything or if I’ll just do the ferrules/tip top/winding check. The three wraps with the black tape are my “clear” tests. The natural silk on the far right has some white showing through whereas the light primrose on the left is the most clear (the middle is actually a wasabi green, but doesn't look great regardless).. I’ll probably run with the primrose on the leftas my main wraps. For tipping I’ll either go with the bright red or maybe go boring and tip in black.

I want to try more colors, but don't necessarily want to shell out $6 a spool to test out for tipping, ha!

View attachment 111603
Curious what natural silk did you buy? Because I noticed the YLI and Clover brand don’t go true transparent, the Kimono Mikimoto seems to.

Anyways, I like the far left too really blends in to where you can’t see it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Curious what natural silk did you buy? Because I noticed the YLI and Clover brand don’t go true transparent, the Kimono Mikimoto seems to.

Anyways, I like the far left too really blends in to where you can’t see it.
It was the Kimono Mikimoto. I didn't heat up my epoxy, that might have been it? Maybe wrapped too tight? Regardless, the Kimono 301 Ichiban is doing exactly what I want. Just need to make a decision on my tipping.

Divad

Whitefish
It was the Kimono Mikimoto. I didn't heat up my epoxy, that might have been it? Maybe wrapped too tight? Regardless, the Kimono 301 Ichiban is doing exactly what I want. Just need to make a decision on my tipping.

Huh, I’ll be darned well glad you got one to go completely clear. I like the orange, it’s a subtle contrast to the yellow w/ clear wraps.

Divad

Whitefish
I started doing the same today, fine tuning the colors I want. I shortcut the epoxy color test by painting on isopropyl to saturate the thread to understand how it will look.

I’ve been told using an olive oil works too and maybe yields a little more true result. But for me the isopropyl is nice enough, dries up quick and no cleanup.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I started doing the same today, fine tuning the colors I want. I shortcut the epoxy color test by painting on isopropyl to saturate the thread to understand how it will look.

I’ve been told using an olive oil works too and maybe yields a little more true result. But for me the isopropyl is nice enough, dries up quick and no cleanup.
Oh shit, smart.