Temporary opening of the Skykomish

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Was up at Ben Howard with my friend Jon. He got a couple sea run's and a rainbow. Conditions were perfect. Quite a few people out there, about half gear and the other half fly fishers. A couple of women who looked like they had it dialed in. Get out on the river before it closes at the end of the month! It was cold, so we started at about 1130 am instead of 930am. Best fishes!
Really cool to see so many Fly Anglers on that river, usually when I've fished salmon it's just gear folks

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I find a single hander to be my preferred method for targeting coho. Doubly so in a high pressure systems like the sky. Being able to present tiny offerings without a bunch of lead to get it there is a huge advantage.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I missed these reports and all y’all by a day. We floated BH to Lewis St yesterday [friday] started early and it felt like a foggy time warp until about 10:30 or 11:00 when the valley fog finally started moving a bit. Yeah, fishing results were a little meh I suppose but I have been jonesing to get out so bad I was just thrilled to be on the river, salmon fishing. I tried twitching jigs tied the night before, spinners, dick nites, flies on a sink tip and flies on a floating line. Got a coho jack on the vibrax (which also moved but did not quite stick several other adult fish), a couple SRC and a whitefish on the DN, a large bronze coho buck in the back 🙃 on the jig, and a what I guess you’d call comparably, surprisingly ”fresh” pink hen on fly, on the ECHO OHS 8wt with Wulff Ambush and 10’ sink tip. Such an enjoyable and versatile river salmon fishing rod, I missed fishing that thing. Some pinks are still digging—crazy.
Randy, if you are out there, thanks for giving my buddy a ride for shuttle! Really a pretty fun day. Glad I took the day off; I really needed the river time!

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hitting it tomorrow, let me know what blood sacrifices I need to make to keep the tweakers at bay! I'm thinking an offering of coho blood should suffice

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
So my "late for a date" pink hen from MA9 did make it to the grounds in time! 🤣
They figure a million pinks, maybe more, made it back to the Snohomish system this year. The bell curve of this run is very wide. I saw pinks still digging reds and spooked a chum in a riffle on the same float.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
1000004389.jpg1000004382.jpg1000004391.jpg

Fished the lower sky from 7:30 to 11. Had a run to myself for the first hour. Was damn cold. Iced guides and numb digets. Got into 7 or 8 with 2 to net. Kept 1. Everything was sluggish today. Soft takes and grabs that didn't quite stick. Not sure how much of that was me or the fish being cold. Not a ton of fish showing which was unexpected. Guess most have moved up river but l wasn't going to brave that gong show for a short morning.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
View attachment 88148View attachment 88149View attachment 88150

Fished the lower sky from 7:30 to 11. Had a run to myself for the first hour. Was damn cold. Iced guides and numb digets. Got into 7 or 8 with 2 to net. Kept 1. Everything was sluggish today. Soft takes and grabs that didn't quite stick. Not sure how much of that was me or the fish being cold. Not a ton of fish showing which was unexpected. Guess most have moved up river but l wasn't going to brave that gong show for a short morning.

Love the "Save Reiter Steelhead" hat, where did that come from?

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Love the "Save Reiter Steelhead" hat, where did that come from?
Was my grandpa's who passed it on to me a few years back. Back in the early 90s(?) there was talk about cutting back smolt releases or closing reiter. I think it had something to do with license fees being moved over to the general fund but dont quote me. I was too young to be following it and internet documentation isn't really there either. Some club (grandpa says the skykomish steelheaders but maybe he's thinking of the snohomish sportsmen) sold these as a fundraiser and my grandpa bought it.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Was my grandpa's who passed it on to me a few years back. Back in the early 90s(?) there was talk about cutting back smolt releases or closing reiter. I think it had something to do with license fees being moved over to the general fund but dont quote me. I was too young to be following it and internet documentation isn't really there either. Some club (grandpa says the skykomish steelheaders but maybe he's thinking of the snohomish sportsmen) sold these as a fundraiser and my grandpa bought it.

Maybe @Smalma knows?

Smalma

Life of the Party
Shortly after the merger of the old Departments of Fisheries and Wildlife it was discovered that in the budget there was not a line item to fund the Reiter summer and winter steelhead program. The old fishery guard was not much of a fan for segregated hatchery programs so it was left to the region to find funding to continue that program. I think it was the Snohomish Sportsman that was selling the hats. Fortunately the Snohomish PUD put up some mitigation funding to tie the program through that first winter period. Ultimately it was identified that there were consistent surpluses in both the Wallace coho and Chinook programs and reducing the Wallace production of both salmon provided enough money to continue the steelhead program. Ultimately funding for the steelhead program was secured allowing the continuation of the program and the resulting fisheries for another 15 years or so.

Curt

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember talking to an older fellow in the late 90's near Index with that exact same hat. There was a few more fish around in the late 90's early 00's!
Reasonable chance it was my grandpa (his name is Jack). He fished the sky extensively. If there was a snot nosed brat with him, it was probably me!