Sushi nights with albacore caught on my boat

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Pretty much one of my biggest fishing motivators these days is what I can create with a harvest.

I'm not exactly a professional sushi chef but it's a fun challenge to make things pretty.
that looks awesome.. much better than what I can do here in Colorado

I have to make sushi mostly with cooked fish eel and smoked salmon because sushi grade fresh fish is hard to get. i can make some tasty stuff but it's just not the same

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks amazing!
We live inland and make a lot of sushi rolls with cooked kokanee from the local reservoir. Sushi rolls and fish tacos have become a primary reason to get out and fish.

G_Smolt

Legend
I've caught some Jack mackerel which are very closely related and just as tasty as a mackerel can be, but are still nowhere near the non-fishy yet exquisitely greasy love that is high quality yellowtail
FIFY.

Athough the next time I'm in yer zipcode ima need to sample some of this "just as tasty" jack mack.

gotta do my due dilligence

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
FIFY.

Athough the next time I'm in yer zipcode ima need to sample some of this "just as tasty" jack mack.

gotta do my due dilligence
They're not actually mackerel, they're actually in the amberjack/yellowtail family.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey Ryan, I've been meaning to do some albacore poke. I know it's not ahi, but still sounds pretty good.

Simple.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
That looks amazing! Making sushi is like tying flies. Start with quality materials, spend time preparing them correctly and keep it sparse. Awesome stuff!!