Sturgeon Guide(s)

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know nothing about sturgeon except they are cool looking and tightly regulated. However, the folks I work with want to do a company outing to go sturgeon fishing so I am now tasked with arranging it. There will be 12-14 of us and we are located out in the Gorge.

Are there boats big enough for 12-14 people? I kind of doubt it but you never know. If not I'm guessing 2 boats would cover us?

I believe the big fish are caught in Portland right? Are there guides that work the Columbia? Is it even open on the Columbia for CnR in June?

Do they run half day trips?

Any guides you would recommend?

Appreciate any help.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If it was like 3 people I'd take you 😂.

You will need at least two, possibly three boats. Don't really know guides who do it in the Gorge personally, but it isn't a rocket science fishery. I'd just find who's available and roll with it.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Never tried sturgeon (to eat). What is a comparable fish if one? I never thought I would like tuna and chips but was I wrong, also wrong about seared tuna and sushi tuna, both delicious and I cost myself decades missing out on them. I have seen sturgeon at the market from time to time but never gave it a chance. I had a neighbor some time ago who went sturgeon fishing. He would buy 3-4 whole chickens (uncooked) for bait. I know he went to the Columbia but I also think he targeted the Chehalis River a lot of the times if memory serves me right.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes I see it from time to time to at the market. Sometimes at central market in north Seattle. Might have to give it a try…
Grill or bake?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I know nothing about sturgeon except they are cool looking and tightly regulated. However, the folks I work with want to do a company outing to go sturgeon fishing so I am now tasked with arranging it. There will be 12-14 of us and we are located out in the Gorge.

Are there boats big enough for 12-14 people? I kind of doubt it but you never know. If not I'm guessing 2 boats would cover us?

I believe the big fish are caught in Portland right? Are there guides that work the Columbia? Is it even open on the Columbia for CnR in June?

Do they run half day trips?

Any guides you would recommend?

Appreciate any help.

This guy is top notch.. and I am sure he could put together a couple other boats to fill your needs... I have bass fished with him a few times. Your people will have a good time.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Sturgeon to me is in the same category as Halibut. It's a blank piece of protein. Doesn't really get me excited, but I tend to favor the more oily, stronger flavored fish types.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I can’t recall having bad halibut but it is usually accompanied by some sauce and or stuff with crab. As are many white flakey fish types. But I can eat Oregon caught rock fish with salt and pepper only with a side of roasted veggies…..but prefer it with cilantro lime chili seasoning and in some type of mexi taco version with good slaw and a sweet and spicy habanero salsa!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I can’t recall having bad halibut but it is usually accompanied by some sauce and or stuff with crab. As are many white flakey fish types. But I can eat Oregon caught rock fish with salt and pepper only with a side of roasted veggies…..but prefer it with cilantro lime chili seasoning and in some type of mexi taco version with good slaw and a sweet and spicy habanero salsa!
Oh definitely. Lingcod and rockfish are lightyears ahead of halibut for me when it comes to white meat fish. Same with walleye, way up there. Halibut isn't offensive or bad by any means, it just isn't interesting enough for me to seek it out. Same with sturgeon.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I find smoked sturgeon to be worth the effort.
Halibut is OK, the cheeks are great. The rest is just OK. Walleye is very good, too bad the fight like a wet rag.
YMMV

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Go to Oregon multiple times per year… finally bought an annual license this year. But many trips are minus 5 days, but we like to do a week on the Oregon coast. Thinking I’ll do the dory boat out of pacific beach again for some rockfish and crab. Maybe a ling if possible. Makes some good meals for the trip. Sorry i totally misdirected this thread. Back to sturgeon fishing.

So why did my neighbor use raw chicken for sturgeon. Is that good bait?

I’m figuring this is conventional gear fishing?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Go to Oregon multiple times per year… finally bought an annual license this year. But many trips are minus 5 days, but we like to do a week on the Oregon coast. Thinking I’ll do the dory boat out of pacific beach again for some rockfish and crab. Maybe a ling if possible. Makes some good meals for the trip. Sorry i totally misdirected this thread. Back to sturgeon fishing.

So why did my neighbor use raw chicken for sturgeon. Is that good bait?

I’m figuring this is conventional gear fishing?
Living in Oregon is great for access to great bottomfish! I took my boat out for 4 separate trips last year and got my freezer sufficiently stocked on lings and rockfish, but it's about time to start restocking.

Never have used raw chicken for sturgeon. I'll I've ever used are various fishes and whole squid: shad, smelt, herring, anchovies, whole fresh and/or pickled squid, etc. All excellent baits.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Like others have said, Ling and rockfish are great, very easy to overcook halibut. I found sturgeon to be moister than halibut, not as easy to overcook. Best I had was at a Michelin restaurant where it (sturgeon) was a fillet on a bed of spinach wrapped in a pastry shell. At home I’ve baked it with a lemon piccata sauce.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
8 foot 2.5 inches.JPG
Wouldn't fit in the net ;-) I was far too tired to try and lift his head. Engee, the skipper and I took turns fighting this 8'+ fish. Hanford Reach of the Columbia, Pikeminnow for bait. The first time the fish jumped it cleared the water and was maybe 30 feet from the boat. Not something I'm likely to forget anytime soon.

I've eaten sturgeon several times. I find smoked tins of it at Lytle's Oyster Farm.