Striker 4/3.5'' vs Striker 4/4.3

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Musical depth finders: I currently have a Hummingbird Helix on my pram, an old black and white Garmin Echo 200 on my Super Fat Cat and an early model of the Striker 4 on my Predator. I want to retire the old Echo 200, place the Striker 4 on the Super Fat Cat and get a new unit dedicated to the Predator that will be powered by a new Nocqua 12v power pack which is about 1/3 the weight of my current battery.

I need some information. The new 4.3'' Striker 4cv is bigger in all dimensions and a few ounces heavier but I can find no information on the actual screen size. And certainly no information at all on the size of the transducer. If anyone has one of the larger Striker 4cv models can you measure the actual screen size and the dimensions of the transducer and post them? This will help me decide whether to buy the new model or just stick with another 3.5'' model.

Ive

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Ive -
Here's a picture of my 4cv and its transducer:
IMG_1994.jpg

The lighted display measures 2-7/8" X 1-7/8"

Best
Pat

While so many folks have started using Garmin Stryker's - the mass of the transducer for the 4cv makes me reluctant to set it up with my hike in float tube, it is heavy. I need to do a comparison of my Fishin' Buddy with bracket compared to this unit and a small battery pack.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you don't need the ClearVu functionality, Garmin does sell the Striker Plus 4 that has the same larger screen size as the Plus 4cv, but uses the smaller transducer as the base Striker 4. Picture below is my Striker Plus 4 installation. The Striker Plus 4 also has lower power useage apparently. The chart below is from a YouTube video I found that compared the different models. The Garmin website is kind of frustrating to get detailed information.

Ken

3g 20220514.jpg0x2 Striker 4 Feature Comparison.JPG

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks Pat, You just saved me fifty bucks! The size of that transducer is a deal breaker on an inflatable plus the screen size appears to be exactly the same as the 3.5'' model! What the hell-I was interested in the 4.3'' model because old eyes see big stuff better but the 4.3 is no improvement at all. I would be paying a weight penalty and a cost penalty for features I don't even need and would never use. I just want to know what depth to set a chironomid or which sinking line to use, everything else is TMI.

The screen on my old black and white Echo 200 is 3'' x 4''-much larger than the Striker 4 but it weighs twice as much. It does however have a tiny transducer in comparison. I may just stick with it after all and use it until it fails. Paying more for less has never been in my playbook...

Feature creep seems to be pervasive in all new products as manufacturers add more and more features which automatically increase the asking price. Depth finders can certainly be included in this as we can now buy units for a float tube that are more sophisticated than a WWII submarine. Cell phones are another example of expensive feature creep pushing the price of a simple device to astronomical heights. I got my phone in 2018 at a modest price but have probably never used over 10% of it's capability, the rest is just overkill to me. And of course the worst is the modern vehicle where electronics have just gone mad making a drive more like a day at the office dealing with IT issues. There aren't enough chips in the whole world to power the number of microprocessors needed for new vehicles!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you don't need the ClearVu functionality, Garmin does sell the Striker Plus 4 that has the same larger screen size as the Plus 4cv, but uses the smaller transducer as the base Striker 4. Picture below is my Striker Plus 4 installation. The Striker Plus 4 also has lower power useage apparently. The chart below is from a YouTube video I found that compared the different models. The Garmin website is kind of frustrating to get detailed information.

Ken

View attachment 50598View attachment 50599
Ken, I'm confused. The dimensions that Pat sent me for his 4cv are the exact dimensions of my old 4. But Garmin says the new models have bigger screens. What is the exact size of your 4 Plus, is it actually larger than 1 7/8 x 2 7/8? The transducer on your unit appears to be smaller as you state but the unit itself is taller, wider and heavier and the screen has less resolution than the standard 4. So far the older unit looks like the best bet for a Super Fat Cat along with a new lithium battery pack. You are using the same mount mechanism that I am, it is a slick way to go and eliminates a lot of those Frankenstein pvc pipe mounts that I often see.

Pez Vela

Steelhead
Not sure this helps, but here's my set up using Scotty bases. I like it. Scotty also makes a float tube attached base.

IMG_5542.jpegIMG_5561.jpeg

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Ive -
Here's a picture of my 4cv and its transducer:
View attachment 50596

The lighted display measures 2-7/8" X 1-7/8"

Best
Pat

While so many folks have started using Garmin Stryker's - the mass of the transducer for the 4cv makes me reluctant to set it up with my hike in float tube, it is heavy. I need to do a comparison of my Fishin' Buddy with bracket compared to this unit and a small battery pack.
My dad had one of those rulers :)

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ken, I'm confused. The dimensions that Pat sent me for his 4cv are the exact dimensions of my old 4. But Garmin says the new models have bigger screens. What is the exact size of your 4 Plus, is it actually larger than 1 7/8 x 2 7/8? The transducer on your unit appears to be smaller as you state but the unit itself is taller, wider and heavier and the screen has less resolution than the standard 4. So far the older unit looks like the best bet for a Super Fat Cat along with a new lithium battery pack. You are using the same mount mechanism that I am, it is a slick way to go and eliminates a lot of those Frankenstein pvc pipe mounts that I often see.
Ive,

My screen is definitely larger as per picture below. The lighted display measures 2-1/8" x 3-3/4" and has a diagonal dimension of 4.3". Outside dimension of the screen body are as per the chart I previously posted. My transducer measures 1-11/16"W x 2-3/4"L. I bought my Garmin April 2022.

I went with the Striker Plus 4 only because I picked up from a dealer who was was no longer going to handle that model and was selling it $15 more than the Striker 4. I agree with you that the Striker 4 would be fine for a Super Fat Cat or in fact for my Scout as well. I had the much lower resolution B&W screen on my Fishin Buddy 120 located further away and it was fine. In fact, this YouTube review shows the units side by side and the reviewer certainly isn't overwhelmed by the larger screen size. He feels the higher resolution on the original Striker 4 is more useful than the larger screen size.

I used mine for 3 days last Spring and it worked fine. I did fool around with the Quick contour mapping but it almost seemed more trouble than it was worth. It would probably be useful if you fished the same 2 or 3 lakes often. My use is very basic most times and it the shallower lakes I frequent, I use it primarily for structure and depth information. Either of these units is probably overkill for my needs.

I agree that the Fish Finder Mounts strap-on mount is very slick. Other than the separate battery, there isn't any more effort to setting the Striker up than there was for the Fishin' Buddy.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Ken

1p 20230119.jpg1r.jpg1s.jpg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ive,

My screen is definitely larger as per picture below. The lighted display measures 2-1/8" x 3-3/4" and has a diagonal dimension of 4.3". Outside dimension of the screen body are as per the chart I previously posted. My transducer measures 1-11/16"W x 2-3/4"L. I bought my Garmin April 2022.

I went with the Striker Plus 4 only because I picked up from a dealer who was was no longer going to handle that model and was selling it $15 more than the Striker 4. I agree with you that the Striker 4 would be fine for a Super Fat Cat or in fact for my Scout as well. I had the much lower resolution B&W screen on my Fishin Buddy 120 located further away and it was fine. In fact, this YouTube review shows the units side by side and the reviewer certainly isn't overwhelmed by the larger screen size. He feels the higher resolution on the original Striker 4 is more useful than the larger screen size.

I used mine for 3 days last Spring and it worked fine. I did fool around with the Quick contour mapping but it almost seemed more trouble than it was worth. It would probably be useful if you fished the same 2 or 3 lakes often. My use is very basic most times and it the shallower lakes I frequent, I use it primarily for structure and depth information. Either of these units is probably overkill for my needs.

I agree that the Fish Finder Mounts strap-on mount is very slick. Other than the separate battery, there isn't any more effort to setting the Striker up than there was for the Fishin' Buddy.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Ken

View attachment 50608View attachment 50609View attachment 50610
Thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate the help from you and Pat in helping me make a decision and not order something that I had to send back. The original Striker 4 was near perfection and it seems that Garmin is having a hard time improving perfection.

A side note on the Fish Finder Mount. It has an annoying flaw that I just found a solution for. The original strap that came with it was very difficult to tighten and I never felt that I could get it tight enough without letting some air out of the boat first. Today I tried using an NRS strap that although not as wide but is probably much stronger and far easier to tighten. It seems to work perfectly with the narrower width not being an issue. While trouble shooting the issues with the original strap I noticed another potential hot spot. The molded plastic bases of the mount have sharp 90 degree edges on them that contact the fabric when pulled tight, easy to do with the NRS strap. I recommend breaking those edges with a file and putting a smooth radius on them. Just in case.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate the help from you and Pat in helping me make a decision and not order something that I had to send back. The original Striker 4 was near perfection and it seems that Garmin is having a hard time improving perfection.

A side note on the Fish Finder Mount. It has an annoying flaw that I just found a solution for. The original strap that came with it was very difficult to tighten and I never felt that I could get it tight enough without letting some air out of the boat first. Today I tried using an NRS strap that although not as wide but is probably much stronger and far easier to tighten. It seems to work perfectly with the narrower width not being an issue. While trouble shooting the issues with the original strap I noticed another potential hot spot. The molded plastic bases of the mount have sharp 90 degree edges on them that contact the fabric when pulled tight, easy to do with the NRS strap. I recommend breaking those edges with a file and putting a smooth radius on them. Just in case.
Thanks for the heads up on sharp edges on the Fish Finder Mount bases. I assume you're using a standard NRS strap with a cam buckle?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

mickey rat

Vermin
Heads up on mounting a Striker 4 to the Fish Finder Mounts base. The screws provided poke through the bottom of the base ever so slightly. I nipped a tiny bit off the points and was good. NRS sells 1-1/2” straps to replace the sad buckle FFMs provides. I just happened to set my new Striker 4 basic model up this morning. Shout out to @Haggis57 on the helpful advice and the idea of using a jump starter for 12v power.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ouch! I have one, too. Back when I was an engineering student, my year was literally the last time the drafting requirement at UT was hand-drawing instead of computer 🤓🦖
Just one!

You've got to have an Engineer's scale - and an Architect's scale - and then there are the metric scales!!

My engineering drafting classes were also very close to the last ones that didn't involve computer aided drafting. 1st year engineering final exams were all slide rules only, but 2nd year final exams allowed TI SR-51A or HP-35 calculators. Radical!!

PXL_20230120_074750917.jpg

cdnred

Life of the Party
Ouch! I have one, too. Back when I was an engineering student, my year was literally the last time the drafting requirement at UT was hand-drawing instead of computer 🤓🦖
But these scales are also very helpful when used for getting rough dimensions off of blueprints..