Show off your favorite abandoned-garbage-riverside-homeless-camps of 2022!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDD

Steelhead
What’s the answer? Solution? What’s the cause? I don’t believe there’s any solution and so many causes. It is very depressing.
Happy New Year Buzzy. The cause/solution/answer has been discussed many times on this board (and the other one) but in doing so, people invariably could not have those discussions while following the board rules and in most cases, it got shut down. Unfortunately, there is no easy solution and often it raises political or social issues and it ends up in a vicious cycle and never gets resolved. In general, I liked Sg's solutions to this problem but rarely do you ever see a politician, town council, or county commission apply those measures.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Complicated problems require complicated solutions. It would require a collective effort of so many parts of government, private business and individuals that I don't know is totally possible. But yeah, it's disheartening to see the amount of trash, especially the stuff that ends up in our waterways.

JayB

Steelhead
Very sore subject with me for many, many years - but in the interest of adding something beyond another a tedious rant, I'll mention that there's an extremely dedicated and intrepid outreach worker named Kevin Dahlgren doing front-line, boots-on-the-ground engagement and outreach that seems to be both more compassionate and effective at getting people out of encampments than any other person or organization I'm aware of.

Folks who are interested in learning more about what he's up to can follow him on Twitter:

JayB

Steelhead
Just to tether this back to rivers and fishing - if you were actively fishing in our local riverscapes in the 50's through the early 00's, how common was it to encounter a scene like this? One of my mantras is "Things didn't used to be like this" but you can only see what you see, so maybe I'm wrong and it's not so much that our rivers weren't festooned with encampments as it was that I just wasn't out there to see them.

Reactions: Zak

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I could win this one but all my favourite garbage camps are occupied and I don't like to get close enough to smell them.

I think people are over thinking this problem. It flat never used to be acceptable. Now we accept it. If you wanted to fix it you would employ simple solutions..I don't care how complex you feel the problem is. Simple solutions work but the current social environment won't allow it.. Hell in my town businesses get hate for kicking people off their front alcove who are shitting there. How ironically insane is that. We as an empathetic and socially l loving accepting society have decided that it's cool if we are shit upon. Oh and others can be shit upon as well. That's progress with zero standards. It's great.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Just to tether this back to rivers and fishing - if you were actively fishing in our local riverscapes in the 50's through the early 00's, how common was it to encounter a scene like this? One of my mantras is "Things didn't used to be like this" but you can only see what you see, so maybe I'm wrong and it's not so much that our rivers weren't festooned with encampments as it was that I just wasn't out there to see them.
From my perspective it was nothing like this in the 70's and 80's. My extended family has had and still does a cabin on the N Fork Sky since the 30's. From 74 until 82 when I graduated high school I spent most of every summer up there with my Dad and uncles, chores and maintenance in mornings, hiking and fishing in afternoons. We fished, as they had as kids every and all tribs on both forks, in that timeframe we would run into and there were a few "hermits", mostly but not all veterans, as was my Dad (V.N./Korea) but they were generally completely different than what we see out there today. Mainly they just wanted to be left alone to do their own thing, they did not trash their camps, trash the environment, were not violent or threatening and did not break into our rigs or steal your stuff. We would see them around trout creek, sunset mine, Galena, silver creek etc. It was a whole different situation IMO and from my personal experience.

In the 90's my wife and I lived up there for about 4 years, during that decade things began to change and shift from what I described above to what we have today again based on my personal experience.

I'm sure OMJ and many others have their own experiences and observations.

Off topic but regarding abundance, pressure and competition it was completely different and much, much better then than now IMO and from my experience.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I could win this one but all my favourite garbage camps are occupied and I don't like to get close enough to smell them.

I think people are over thinking this problem. It flat never used to be acceptable. Now we accept it. If you wanted to fix it you would employ simple solutions..I don't care how complex you feel the problem is. Simple solutions work but the current social environment won't allow it.. Hell in my town businesses get hate for kicking people off their front alcove who are shitting there. How ironically insane is that. We as an empathetic and socially l loving accepting society have decided that it's cool if we are shit upon. Oh and others can be shit upon as well. That's progress with zero standards. It's great.
I’m willing to bet if they were shitting on the haters front steps, they wouldn’t be so sympathetic…or camped out in their back yard.

klq@stl

Steelhead
NOT 2022, but jump to 50 seconds for Portland, and 1:30 for Seattle's camps:

For 2022 Yakima: In all, 79 bags totaling more than 9 tons of garbage were pulled from several abandoned homeless camps along the rivers and on islands within the 13-mile stretch between Selah and Union Gap.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
NOT 2022, but jump to 50 seconds for Portland, and 1:30 for Seattle's camps:
This is an interesting counterpoint to the "It's never been like this before" mindset. I mean, it's not been like this in MY lifetime (or I suspect any of your lifetimes). But it HAS been like this, or at least similar, in the past.

Now, different times, different causes? Or are there underlying themes we can learn if we took the time to dig? What solutions worked last time and can they work again? Or has the world turned too far? That's for someone smarter than me to research and try to glean data from.

But it's worth remembering that we've had terrible slums in our area in the past.

1672687829202.png

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You should see the mess under the First South Bridge over the Duwamish. Abandoned, burned cars, trucks, etc. Tons of trash and garbage. This is right next to the Duwamish and you can only guess on the stuff that has leached into the soil and will likely seep into the river for years. I have no idea why the City of Seattle thinks that this is acceptable. Well, maybe I do... but they do nothing to address the problem.

It is such sketchy a area, I didn't even want to stop and take a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.