Sea Run Cutthroat Madness on Super Bowl Sunday

There is a little creek that runs thru the property I live on. It is hard to access and cast in as it is very bushy and small. About five feet wide to be exact. In the last few weeks, I have been fishing it and it has more than over-delivered. As I crept up to my favorite hole, I was not expecting anything too special. Just the usual 8-inch fish with the occasional 12 inches. Running a dead drift leech under a little dry fly as an indicator, I cast into the hole. Almost instantly I was rewarded with a beautiful 8-inch or so fish.
1676353165452.png
Already satisfied, I continued to cast my rig out into the creek and hooked an impressive amount of similar-sized trout. After about 20 minutes of this, I noticed that the streamer was not working its magic. I figured it was time to bust out the Euro rod. I lifted and flicked the two little nymphs out, careful to not snag my flies in the surrounding bushes. All of a sudden, my line stalled and instantly, I knew I had a fish. I set the hook, hard. Immediately I knew that I had something big on. Then I saw the flashes of silver. It rolled over on its side while thrashing around on my line and I was shocked. At this point, I could not contain my excitement. All I could think about is that I could not lose this fish. I played it carefully, and within a short time, I netted it. "Oh my god. I'm trembling." I announce as I admire the magnificent fish in my net.
1676353611997.png
This beauty measured at a smidge above 18 inches. I was shocked. It was even longer than my net, and at that, in the smallest stream, I have ever fished. I always want to spend more time admiring the fish that I have landed, especially when it is such a specimen, but I always make it my goal to see the fish off and make sure it can go ahead and keep living and reproducing. As I am about to let her go, I make sure to snap one more picture. 1676353825604.png
Excited and shocked, I take a few min and try to absorb what just happened. Even now, I cannot believe it. After five or so minutes I get back to fishing, feeling very confident now. I proceed to not catch another fish out of that hole, but I decide to bushwack my way up and fish a little more. I come to a hole that is no more than 2 feet deep, and I begin to cast my streamer and indicator set up. Almost instantly the fly shoots down. I was not expecting it, and it caught me off, guard. I set the hook with the rod crookedly thus not getting a good set. I see the trout roll, and all I see is a much wider, much thicker version of the previous trout. My heart skips a beat, and I feel a hit of adrenaline. Then, as soon as it happened, he was off. "Well, Im not gonna sleep well tonight, that's for sure," I remarked as I play out in my head what just happened. I then remembered that even being in the presence of these native wild sea-run cutthroat trout is a gift. It lightened the blow of losing the fish just a little. I tried to catch it for the next 30 min or so, with no luck. Feeling defeated by this fish, I decided to call it a day and head home. Here is a fish I caught out of there 2 weeks ago, I had to include it here as it was just so pretty.
1676354569415.png1676354592070.png
This was easily one of the most shocking fishing adventures I have ever had... And it was on my property.
As a side note, I was very careful to not walk in the water and only stood on the very shallow low-flow spots in the creek. I did not walk thru it at all, as I have a goal of protecting the fish.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The big fish looks a little thin.
Do you think it was post spawn?
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
There is a little creek that runs thru the property I live on. It is hard to access and cast in as it is very bushy and small. About five feet wide to be exact. In the last few weeks, I have been fishing it and it has more than over-delivered. As I crept up to my favorite hole, I was not expecting anything too special. Just the usual 8-inch fish with the occasional 12 inches. Running a dead drift leech under a little dry fly as an indicator, I cast into the hole. Almost instantly I was rewarded with a beautiful 8-inch or so fish.
View attachment 54056
Already satisfied, I continued to cast my rig out into the creek and hooked an impressive amount of similar-sized trout. After about 20 minutes of this, I noticed that the streamer was not working its magic. I figured it was time to bust out the Euro rod. I lifted and flicked the two little nymphs out, careful to not snag my flies in the surrounding bushes. All of a sudden, my line stalled and instantly, I knew I had a fish. I set the hook, hard. Immediately I knew that I had something big on. Then I saw the flashes of silver. It rolled over on its side while thrashing around on my line and I was shocked. At this point, I could not contain my excitement. All I could think about is that I could not lose this fish. I played it carefully, and within a short time, I netted it. "Oh my god. I'm trembling." I announce as I admire the magnificent fish in my net.
View attachment 54058
This beauty measured at a smidge above 18 inches. I was shocked. It was even longer than my net, and at that, in the smallest stream, I have ever fished. I always want to spend more time admiring the fish that I have landed, especially when it is such a specimen, but I always make it my goal to see the fish off and make sure it can go ahead and keep living and reproducing. As I am about to let her go, I make sure to snap one more picture. View attachment 54063
Excited and shocked, I take a few min and try to absorb what just happened. Even now, I cannot believe it. After five or so minutes I get back to fishing, feeling very confident now. I proceed to not catch another fish out of that hole, but I decide to bushwack my way up and fish a little more. I come to a hole that is no more than 2 feet deep, and I begin to cast my streamer and indicator set up. Almost instantly the fly shoots down. I was not expecting it, and it caught me off, guard. I set the hook with the rod crookedly thus not getting a good set. I see the trout roll, and all I see is a much wider, much thicker version of the previous trout. My heart skips a beat, and I feel a hit of adrenaline. Then, as soon as it happened, he was off. "Well, Im not gonna sleep well tonight, that's for sure," I remarked as I play out in my head what just happened. I then remembered that even being in the presence of these native wild sea-run cutthroat trout is a gift. It lightened the blow of losing the fish just a little. I tried to catch it for the next 30 min or so, with no luck. Feeling defeated by this fish, I decided to call it a day and head home. Here is a fish I caught out of there 2 weeks ago, I had to include it here as it was just so pretty.
View attachment 54068View attachment 54069
This was easily one of the most shocking fishing adventures I have ever had... And it was on my property.
As a side note, I was very careful to not walk in the water and only stood on the very shallow low-flow spots in the creek. I did not walk thru it at all, as I have a goal of protecting the fish.
Not trying to hot spot or blow up your creek, but what MA does that creek eventually feed into?

Trying to gauge where the cutthroat are, because it sure doesn't seem to be anywhere salty.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I do suspect it was post spawn. The biggin was a wee bit thin. A “torpedo” of sorts. I’m assuming that he will be golden in a few weeks.
Yhandi

....or it will turn around quickly and head back to the salt to brighten up and feast on some soon to be if not already available chum fry.
SF

Yhandi

Smolt
....or it will turn around quickly and head back to the salt to brighten up and feast on some soon to be if not already available chum fry.
SF
There are no salmon that spawn in this creek. Or at least no records of salmon. I’m sure there are a few stragglers but I have never heard of or seen any in here. Now I see that I misread your comment. You said going out to sea to eat, whoops. I’m sure it’s a possibility but I doubt it. This is a quite far away creek from any estuary.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
There are no salmon that spawn in this creek. Or at least no records of salmon. I’m sure there are a few stragglers but I have never heard of or seen any in here.

That likely wouldn’t matter as fry from other creeks with salmon populations would provide feeding opportunities as they pass by on their outmigration to big blue.
SF

Yhandi

Smolt
There are no salmon that spawn in this creek. Or at least no records of salmon. I’m sure there are a few stragglers but I have never heard of or seen any in here.
That likely wouldn’t matter as fry from other creeks with salmon populations would provide feeding opportunities as they pass by on their outmigration to big blue.
SF
That, I can believe. I will go out next week and see if more or less cutts are appearing. There was a total lunker that I spoke about in the original report of this thread. I want to get him in my net.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kind of curious on this small creek on being open at this time of the year. Don't/aren't most skinny waters are closed at this time of the year. I don't really care as I'm not in Washington any more but kind of just asking for clarity.
Was just gonna say. I’m not going to jump at someone’s throat for this when I don’t know the water, and they are fly fishing and using best practice fish handling but I don’t believe any small creeks are open this time of year. Could be wrong

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great to see native fish making use of their habitat. And thank you for taking care of that habitat!
Regarding the questions about the season. I guess that depends on if that little creek is listed. If not listed by name then it would be closed. For example, this little unnamed creek is not listed so these are the regs.
Screenshot_20230215-101357.png

So don't tell us the creek name, but you might want to check it out. 👍

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Great to see native fish making use of their habitat. And thank you for taking care of that habitat!
Regarding the questions about the season. I guess that depends on if that little creek is listed. If not listed by name then it would be closed. For example, this little unnamed creek is not listed so these are the regs.
View attachment 54234

According to this above statement that water is closed by looking ay the season mentioned.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
According to this above statement that water is closed by looking ay the season mentioned.
Well, that depends on the actual creek. WDFW has sort of gone away from every single river or creek open Saturday before Memorial Day to Oct 31 since you were here.
Many creeks and rivers are open year around now. It just depends on how they have classified his creek. The easiest way to know now is to use the Fish Washington app on the phone. The regs have always been really confusing, but the app makes it pretty damn simple. You go to the map that opens up, find your blue line, click on it and up pop the regs. There's still some questions sometimes, but WAY better than the paper regs.
The map even has a location button to find your exact location.

So depends on that creek.

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
View attachment 54234

So how exactly are we supposed to interpret the regulations for this sample creek?

Is CnR currently open?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So how exactly are we supposed to interpret the regulations for this sample creek?

Is CnR currently open?
We don’t know. If his creek is listed specifically in the regs as open, it is. We can’t find this out unless he hotspots. Most small water is closed to everything outside the season listed

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Is CnR currently open?
As Kashf notes, we don't know the regs of his creek.

To answer your 2nd question, no.

To answer your 1st question-
Let's say the regulations were the exact same as the sample creek I clicked on-
All fishing is closed until the Saturday before Memorial Day, which means May 27th this year.
Closed means closed to any form of fishing whether you're catching or not. Catch & release is still fishing so that would be a no-no.

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As Kashf notes, we don't know the regs of his creek.

To answer your 2nd question, no.

To answer your 1st question-
Let's say the regulations were the exact same as the sample creek I clicked on-
All fishing is closed until the Saturday before Memorial Day, which means May 27th this year.
Closed means closed to any form of fishing whether you're catching or not. Catch & release is still fishing so that would be a no-no.
Thanks for clarifying. I sure wish WDFW would make these easier to read. Especially with the app, there is no reason they can't add a bright red banner stating that the water is currently closed.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's very nice to have a gem within walking distance of your front door.
Keep the reports and pics coming.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks for clarifying. I sure wish WDFW would make these easier to read. Especially with the app, there is no reason they can't add a bright red banner stating that the water is currently closed.
They do. In the screenshot example, pamphlet mode showing rules for all seasons is enabled. Disable that, so you can see currently applicable regs, and you should see a red stop-sign shaped closed icon.

8A62B8E7-E0DE-4310-B623-60D425868FF0.jpeg