Sea Run Cutthroat Madness on Super Bowl Sunday

There is a little creek that runs thru the property I live on. It is hard to access and cast in as it is very bushy and small. About five feet wide to be exact. In the last few weeks, I have been fishing it and it has more than over-delivered. As I crept up to my favorite hole, I was not expecting anything too special. Just the usual 8-inch fish with the occasional 12 inches. Running a dead drift leech under a little dry fly as an indicator, I cast into the hole. Almost instantly I was rewarded with a beautiful 8-inch or so fish.
1676353165452.png
Already satisfied, I continued to cast my rig out into the creek and hooked an impressive amount of similar-sized trout. After about 20 minutes of this, I noticed that the streamer was not working its magic. I figured it was time to bust out the Euro rod. I lifted and flicked the two little nymphs out, careful to not snag my flies in the surrounding bushes. All of a sudden, my line stalled and instantly, I knew I had a fish. I set the hook, hard. Immediately I knew that I had something big on. Then I saw the flashes of silver. It rolled over on its side while thrashing around on my line and I was shocked. At this point, I could not contain my excitement. All I could think about is that I could not lose this fish. I played it carefully, and within a short time, I netted it. "Oh my god. I'm trembling." I announce as I admire the magnificent fish in my net.
1676353611997.png
This beauty measured at a smidge above 18 inches. I was shocked. It was even longer than my net, and at that, in the smallest stream, I have ever fished. I always want to spend more time admiring the fish that I have landed, especially when it is such a specimen, but I always make it my goal to see the fish off and make sure it can go ahead and keep living and reproducing. As I am about to let her go, I make sure to snap one more picture. 1676353825604.png
Excited and shocked, I take a few min and try to absorb what just happened. Even now, I cannot believe it. After five or so minutes I get back to fishing, feeling very confident now. I proceed to not catch another fish out of that hole, but I decide to bushwack my way up and fish a little more. I come to a hole that is no more than 2 feet deep, and I begin to cast my streamer and indicator set up. Almost instantly the fly shoots down. I was not expecting it, and it caught me off, guard. I set the hook with the rod crookedly thus not getting a good set. I see the trout roll, and all I see is a much wider, much thicker version of the previous trout. My heart skips a beat, and I feel a hit of adrenaline. Then, as soon as it happened, he was off. "Well, Im not gonna sleep well tonight, that's for sure," I remarked as I play out in my head what just happened. I then remembered that even being in the presence of these native wild sea-run cutthroat trout is a gift. It lightened the blow of losing the fish just a little. I tried to catch it for the next 30 min or so, with no luck. Feeling defeated by this fish, I decided to call it a day and head home. Here is a fish I caught out of there 2 weeks ago, I had to include it here as it was just so pretty.
1676354569415.png1676354592070.png
This was easily one of the most shocking fishing adventures I have ever had... And it was on my property.
As a side note, I was very careful to not walk in the water and only stood on the very shallow low-flow spots in the creek. I did not walk thru it at all, as I have a goal of protecting the fish.

Yhandi

Smolt
Kind of curious on this small creek on being open at this time of the year. Don't/aren't most skinny waters are closed at this time of the year. I don't really care as I'm not in Washington any more but kind of just asking for clarity.
According to this above statement that water is closed by looking ay the season mentioned.
The creek is in fact in the reg books, Just sayin that you guys might want to consider that im possibly calling it something it is not for privacy reasons.

Yhandi

Smolt
Kind of curious on this small creek on being open at this time of the year. Don't/aren't most skinny waters are closed at this time of the year. I don't really care as I'm not in Washington any more but kind of just asking for clarity.
I don't care to hotspot but if you did some reg combing you might be able to find out where I am... I'm only putting this out there bc the chances of someone finding it are zero to none but I guess there is a chance. It is in fact, a named body of water.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Very nice replies.

Thanks again for sharing.

Yhandi

Smolt
Update: Today I returned to the creek. I saw the clear weather conditions and knew that I had a good chance at hooking into something large today. I was planning on fishing for a little longer than the last trip. I fished my way up the familiar stretch and got to the money hole. Today, I had not gotten any previous action in all the other holes but, I took it as a sign that the big fish were out to play, scaring the little ones into hiding. Walking up the creek I saw a single small squala land on my shirt. I realized that the cold weather in combination with some of the snow on the ground wiuht the sun present sparked a little hatch. I quickly tied up a small skwala nymph with a little dry fly as an indicator and threw it in. For about 15 min, I got nothing. Then, the dry shot down and I set the hook. I had not seen the fish at this point, but it felt quite big. Upon the fish rolling to the surface of the water, I was delighted to see a 13 inch trout. I got him in the net and was very impressed my the vibrant colors. He looked like no other Cutty I have ever seen. 1677306539004.png
I let him go on his way, and decided to sit and watch the water for a bit. After around 10 min of gazing at the water to see nothing, I busted out the Euro rod. Almost immeditetly I see my line start to move up steam just the slighest bit, and instantly I know there is a fish. I set the hook, not knowing that the fish on the other side was a total chunk. He put up a hell of a fight, let me just say. Soon enough, he acualy swam right into my net, looking at the fish I was puzzeled. 1677306734442.png
It looked like a sea run, but simaltaniusly a westslope. Quite the intesting sea runner if I say so my self. Now, relizing that this is a good day, I keep fishing. With nothing taking anything I was throwing with the Euro rod, I grab my secondary and give it a cast. As the dift neared the end, I look away to the bushes, and go to re-cast. As I went to do so, when I picked my line up I felt and saw movement. A fat, long fish was on the other end. Unfortanently, I could not get a good hook set as I was trying to cast my line as he bit, and he got away. This did not really bother me as it could have been the same weight if not heavier than the previus monster I caught just 2 weeks ago, but not close in lenghth, and I had allready gotten my fill of beatuful fish. So, I continued on to the next and final hole. Casting for around 30 min and getting nothing. The problem wiht this creek is that it is heaviuly wooded and therefor dose not get light cast on the water very often. when the light is not cast on the water the fish never bite, and this really only means I get an hour of prime fishing untill that sun gets blocked by a big tree or something. Heading inside, I was still very happy with this day, as once again my tiny creek on my peice of land provided an epic day of fishing.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Yhandi -
That last fish looks to me to be a coastal cutthroat with that coloring pattern within the normal range for males at this time of year.

Curt

Yhandi

Smolt
Yhandi -
That last fish looks to me to be a coastal cutthroat with that coloring pattern within the normal range for males at this time of year.

Curt
I would argue it looks a little different than what I'm used to seeing but there is no doubt in my mind that it is a costal cutty. Just thought it looked a little different than the rest. Super healthy fish to say the least!
Yhandi