Sage XP

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
To think they have made the "rpl" and "xp" every few years under a different name.

How many times can ya reinvent the wheel?

Marketing and advertising are big money because they draw in bigger money.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Owned and loved a few XPs. The 691 and 696 were both rods I loved quite a bit.

That said, I eventually sold them and as much as I enjoyed them I wouldn't trade them for my modern Helios 3D. Not even in the same ballpark IMO.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’d probably never part with the 696 but don’t use it a lot. Of course it’s good off the beach and out of the ‘toon & db, but I use other rods more often. Thirteen years back I broke the tip section and dropped it off at Sage while on a Poulsbo run. Doubt it’s normal but they fixed it perfectly and there was no charge. Took some P-town friends on the factory tour. I only have a couple Sage rods anymore, but I’m still an admirer of their product quality, and team spirit. Always been proud that they’re local.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dloy, I’m not sure they are the same sage team of a just a few years ago and beyond.
They Don’t care that they lost all my previous purchases, tell me just fill it out online. What?
Don’t respond to emails (well if you give them 8 weeks they might, by then to late most of the time. They use to respond within 1-3 days.)
Sage was ran by fly fishing dudes, not sure anymore. Suits? Just a rant, sorry.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Dloy, I’m not sure they are the same sage team of a just a few years ago and beyond.
They Don’t care that they lost all my previous purchases, tell me just fill it out online. What?
Don’t respond to emails (well if you give them 8 weeks they might, by then to late most of the time. They use to respond within 1-3 days.)
Sage was ran by fly fishing dudes, not sure anymore. Suits? Just a rant, sorry.
Well that is disappointing. Sorry to hear customer support is failing. I’m instantly suspicious of downward pressure from the holding company. When I visited, the workers seemed happy and to care about quality and craftsmanship.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Fair enough. I haven't bought anything since so I'm no judge.

Of course I'd totally soak up a brownie sage spey review with modern lines....
Modern lines or not, nothing would make a 7136 "Brownie" a good rod. My buddy has my old 9140-4, which is my benchmark for sink tip fishing. You've peaked my curiosity. I'll grab it and try it with a Gaelforce EEMT, and a 15M shooting head. I'll report back. I think a FF or a WA 55 would be a good fit, but I'm over the whole Nextcast thing. I do know that the FF 70 9/10 and the Gaelforce 83' 9/10 cast nice on a 10150 my "Brownie".

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Not personal experience, but heard a report that a 7136 Brownie that had broken off the top 12" became an accidental 7126 "good" caster. Haven't been willing to deliberately break mine however.
I heard the same, and wasn't willing to break mine either.