Sage XP

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Weird to see a recent review for a 15 year-old rod.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Agreed, but have they made anything significantly better since? That 9'6" 6wt was special. I wouldn't trade my 9'7wt for the world.
I think so, but like all things it's a matter of personal preference.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Maybe an AI review?
SF

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Agreed, but have they made anything significantly better since? That 9'6" 6wt was special. I wouldn't trade my 9'7wt for the world.
I wouldn’t trade my XP 2 piece 6 weight either . I’ve casted the newer rods , some are okay , but not having fished with them , can’t say much about them . As the article said the XP does everything it said it did for me . But I have an Echo rod that is hard to beat for the money , and performance.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Maybe an AI review?
SF
Yep… I get so many “flyfishing” articles in my Google feed that are so obviously written by bots. They string together random fishing terms like spinning rod pole leader or will talk about the best fishing guide, switching between talking about a person who takes you fishing and the circular thing on the pole that the line goes through all within the same paragraph. What a joke.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Maybe an AI review?
SF
AI review you say?

PNW Fly Fishing Forum is the largest and most active online fly fishing community in the Pacific Northwest. The forum offers a wealth of information and resources for fly anglers, including:

• General discussion about fly fishing
  • Advice on fly fishing techniques and gear
  • Fly fishing reports from around the region
  • Classifieds for buying and selling fly fishing gear
  • A shop with fly fishing apparel and accessories
I have been a member of PNW Fly Fishing Forum for several years and I have found it to be an invaluable resource. The forum has helped me to learn about fly fishing, to improve my fly fishing skills, and to connect with other fly anglers in the region.

I would highly recommend PNW Fly Fishing Forum to any fly angler who is looking for an active and informative online community.

Here are some of the things that I like about PNW Fly Fishing Forum:

• The forum is very active, with new posts being added all the time.
  • There is a wealth of information on the forum, covering everything from fly fishing techniques to gear reviews.
  • The members of the forum are friendly and helpful, and they are always willing to share their knowledge and experience.
  • The forum is free to join.
Here are some of the things that I would like to see improved about PNW Fly Fishing Forum:

• The forum could use a better search function. It can be difficult to find specific information on the forum.
  • The forum could use more moderators. There are sometimes spam posts and offensive content on the forum.
  • The forum could use more features for members. For example, members could be able to create their own profiles and post photos.
Overall, I think PNW Fly Fishing Forum is a great resource for fly anglers. It is a friendly and informative community where you can learn about fly fishing, improve your skills, and connect with other fly anglers in the region.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I sold my 6wt XP and now regret doing so.......
I can't imagine selling mine , I’d like a couple more a 4 & 5 weight , if anything just to have them . I don’t see anyone making a great argument about anything Sage has built since is better . Maybe the Z-Axis according to some . I’ll never change from the XP .

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
The bummer about now owning XP's is the repair cost now should you ever break one. $195.00 is ridiculous for something that supposedly had a lifetime warranty at one time.
There is no way I'd pay the price some folks are asking for used XP's knowing those repair costs and a rod last produced in 2006.
They are just trying to drive you towards a new rod, which will happen in my case if I break my XP. It just won't be another Sage that I buy.
SF

Last edited:

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I can't imagine selling mine , I’d like a couple more a 4 & 5 weight , if anything just to have them . I don’t see anyone making a great argument about anything Sage has built since is better . Maybe the Z-Axis according to some . I’ll never change from the XP .
Agreed. I kept my 5 and 7wt Z's and still use them, the 5 as my float tube rod, and the 7 for bass. I bought a 6wt NRX+ last year and that has eased the pain from the XP.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
There is no way I'd pay the price some folks are asking for used XP's knowing those repair costs and a rod last produced in 2006.

SF

I have a 10' 7 wt barely used (as in once or twice) XP I will sell ya...
Asking $85.00 a foot plus shipping, that equals $850.00 for those math challenged UW graduates.
😁
Once you break it you'll be into it for about $1100.00
(Plus shipping)

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I have a 10' 7 wt barely used (as in once or twice) XP I will sell ya...
Asking $85.00 a foot plus shipping, that equals $850.00 for those math challenged UW graduates.
😁
Once you break it you'll be into it for about $1100.00
(Plus shipping)

Sir....please step into my office. :ROFLMAO:
SF

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Sorry my phone was interrupted so many times while trying to post this. So something wrong with this post ?

The two photos in the review show a rod blank of the wrong color (at least on my screen) and if it were a factory build the grip would be different.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Fair enough. I haven't bought anything since so I'm no judge.

Of course I'd totally soak up a brownie sage spey review with modern lines....
My 9114 with a 27' 550g head is a legitimate cannon, even if I rarely have occasion to open her up to her potential. It's a little long when you're up in the trees but I love that rod like my children.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The bummer about now owning XP's is the repair cost now should you ever break one. $195.00 is ridiculous for something that supposedly had a lifetime warranty at one time.
They are just trying to drive you towards a new rod, which will happen in my case if I break my XP. It just won't be another Sage that I buy.
SF
I had to bite the bullet and get the butt section on one of my XPs replaced a while ago. The reel seat was all jacked up, and in trying to replace the reel seat I broke the graphite. Bad news = $200 to get it fixed. Good news = since it was the butt section, the replacement makes it feel like a brand new rod (new cork, new reel seat, etc.). $200 for what feels like a new XP isn't that bad I guess. But yes, free would have been a lot better.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter