Rocky Ford bugs

dep

Steelhead
I tied these for some guys that fish with me at the Ford. They are WSU students and don't have much for fly fishing. I made them this care package of bugs that work for me.
I also got them: tippet, nippers and needlenose pliers so they quit asking for mine when they catch a fish.

just thought I would share.

dp

Attachments

• carepackage.pdf.jpg
    carepackage.pdf.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 123

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Not sure why, but this made me think of the vending machine (that has fishing gear) at Desert Angler - is that still there?

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Very thoughtful of you. If he fishes a lot he'll stay away from your daughter... :cool:

Curious about the small flies...are they scuds/sowbugs? How do you fish those? Under a bobber?

Thanks

dep

Steelhead
fishing was tough. maybe 10 guys working the system and not much to show for it.
My buddy, who is a fishing machine, hooked up once.
I went 1 for 3. the one I landed was probably 12 inches. took the leech on the first cast when we fished the tail end of the system.
I had a nice on one for about 10 seconds and he spit the hook. we saw it and it was one of those 24 inch monsters.
had another on for about .5 seconds and saw his flanks and then it was gone.
one of the darker leeches got me my takes. tried the scud under the indication - nothing.
as we discussed it over a beer, we probably should have thrown small patterns (like a pheasant tail or an egg pattern).
Lots of pelicans through out the system. the weather was nice and calm though.

dp

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
fishing was tough. maybe 10 guys working the system and not much to show for it.
My buddy, who is a fishing machine, hooked up once.
I went 1 for 3. the one I landed was probably 12 inches. took the leech on the first cast when we fished the tail end of the system.
I had a nice on one for about 10 seconds and he spit the hook. we saw it and it was one of those 24 inch monsters.
had another on for about .5 seconds and saw his flanks and then it was gone.
one of the darker leeches got me my takes. tried the scud under the indication - nothing.
as we discussed it over a beer, we probably should have thrown small patterns (like a pheasant tail or an egg pattern).
Lots of pelicans through out the system. the weather was nice and calm though.

dp
I think RF trout may recognize indicators, maybe. Try your scud bobberless. A technique that (sometimes) works is a small olive leech with a scud dropper, longish leader, no Iracator.

dep

Steelhead
the last time I was there, a fish went for my lime green indicator.
bobber down!

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I tie my scuds so heavy for the Ford that I’ve been accused of using split shot. This gives me bottom control. I like to put them right on the rocks that I see fish eating scuds off of. When I scud it here, I often don’t put my fly in front of the fish. I watch their patterns and drop a fly behind them and wait for them to come back. Twitch twitch, YouTube hey eat, I miss, say a bad word and try again 😁

Reactions: Zak

dep

Steelhead
I remember you fishing the Ford once and you were literally sitting on one of the large rocks and dropping your line straight down.
I think you hooked up though.
Bill (Zen), got the group together.
you may have had a ladder too.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I remember you fishing the Ford once and you were literally sitting on one of the large rocks and dropping your line straight down.
I think you hooked up though.
Bill (Zen), got the group together.
you may have had a ladder too.
Zen watched me hook a bunch and how I was doing it, and decided that I wasn’t fly fishing. He wasn’t being judgmental, just observational of the approach and to be honest I had never actually thought about it before, I just new it worked. Sometimes I’d hook fish without any fly line in the water, so there is that! 😁

dep

Steelhead
Zen was a good guy. He met me at the Rock a few times and would fish, but not hard like most people. he was amused and content to hook fish a tiny bugs. and he would watch you. one time he was watching me while we chatted but he was behind me on my left side. Being left handed, he was right in my loading zone, if you will, and I was struggling with my casting. he finally caught on saying he was a fool for not realizing his positioning to my casting.
good guy for sure.