Replacement pockets for Scadden Predator

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The zippers on the pockets of my Predator have failed and will neither open or close now. I need 2 new pockets. Apparently they are readily available from Scadden but are $60 apiece with $15 shipping for a grand total of $135. A bit steep I would say but I am probably a captive audience that will have to pony up the high tariff.

I did some looking on line for a generic replacement at hopefully a lower price but found nothing. Any ideas on what I could replace them with? Those cheap assed coil zippers may be lightweight and inexpensive but they sure as hell aren't durable.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
The zippers on the pockets of my Predator have failed and will neither open or close now. I need 2 new pockets. Apparently they are readily available from Scadden but are $60 apiece with $15 shipping for a grand total of $135. A bit steep I would say but I am probably a captive audience that will have to pony up the high tariff.

I did some looking on line for a generic replacement at hopefully a lower price but found nothing. Any ideas on what I could replace them with? Those cheap assed coil zippers may be lightweight and inexpensive but they sure as hell aren't durable.
I've got those bags on mi Predator too and I like them, but they are a little "touchy" and don't like abuse.

I wonder if you could take it to a shoe repairman (do those still exist?) next time you make it into town and have new zippers sewn in.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I can't see how the pockets attach to the Predator so I don't know if it will work but Water Master (highly water repellent) PVC side pockets have a slot in the bottom attach to the oar retainer strap and velcro hooks, and a velcro loops patch to cement to the tube. Definitely not as nice or spacious as Outcast pockets but they do keep some stuff handy and dry. The PVC mesh bag below comes with the D rings and PVC cement. It is a lot nicer than the original all-mesh bag because it has a dry storage compartment.
1656345262517.png
1656345522493.png

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link Dean. There were hundreds of choices there but most are too tall which would interfere with casting. I'll just bite the bullet and order some new ones. The ones that come with the boat have slip pockets on the side that hold a fly rod and close with velcro. Without those carrying extra fly rods would be a real hassle.

The suggestion that I have new zippers installed is a good one but I haven't seen a sewing repair shop in years. Nowadays it is remove and replace-not repair and continue. If I buy one new bag and have the old one repaired it would be the best of both worlds-a pair and a spare.

Tacoma Red

Freshly Spawned
Thanks for the link Dean. There were hundreds of choices there but most are too tall which would interfere with casting. I'll just bite the bullet and order some new ones. The ones that come with the boat have slip pockets on the side that hold a fly rod and close with velcro. Without those carrying extra fly rods would be a real hassle.

The suggestion that I have new zippers installed is a good one but I haven't seen a sewing repair shop in years. Nowadays it is remove and replace-not repair and continue. If I buy one new bag and have the old one repaired it would be the best of both worlds-a pair and a spare.
Ive,

Some dry cleaner places offer alterations and may be able to help you.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Take them to a boat shop that sews canvas , my son took a pontoon to one with a split seam , they fixed him right up , and was pretty cheap .

Are you talking the bags that have the double zipper , one on each side on top ?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Take them to a boat shop that sews canvas , my son took a pontoon to one with a split seam , they fixed him right up , and was pretty cheap .

Are you talking the bags that have the double zipper , one on each side on top ?
double zipper, one on each side

I get a kick out of you guys that live in civilization!...."just take it to a canvas shop" or "just see if a shoe shop will repair it" I live in the wilderness with the nearest shop of any kind about 90 miles away. I did some quick math and taking the bag down to see if it could even be fixed (not a given) would be a 180 mile round trip. Then assuming it could be fixed I would have to leave it and go back later to pick it up. Now up to over 350 miles of driving and about $70 worth of fuel. A new bag cost $59.95 plus shipping. I'll just order new bags and quit bitching about it. It could be worse.....

I did try to order one from Scadden today but their answering service was wonky and I got on a mobius loop that wouldn't allow me to leave a message. Nothin's ever easy it seems.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I hope you have good luck getting the bags promptly from Scadden. My experience has been very sketchy. They might take longer getting to you than waiting till you are forced to go to town.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

I get a kick out of you guys that live in civilization!...."just take it to a canvas shop" or "just see if a shoe shop will repair it" I live in the wilderness with the nearest shop of any kind about 90 miles away. I did some quick math and taking the bag down to see if it could even be fixed (not a given) would be a 180 mile round trip. Then assuming it could be fixed I would have to leave it and go back later to pick it up. Now up to over 350 miles of driving and about $70 worth of fuel. A new bag cost $59.95 plus shipping. I'll just order new bags and quit bitching about it. It could be worse.....

I did try to order one from Scadden today but their answering service was wonky and I got on a mobius loop that wouldn't allow me to leave a message. Nothin's ever easy it seems.
Ive -
This thread got me to thinking about an old two rod case that I don't use because the zipper won't stay closed. Taking the advice from this thread I phoned The American Shoe Shop in Wenatchee (the owner is a fly fisherman) and asked about having the zipper replaced. I was told it would be "financially unwise" (besides the 58 mile one way trip). The owner told me about a trick to try myself, wish me luck. Good luck with your bag replacement.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I would probably just get the bags open, cutting out the zipper if I had to do that, then maybe sewing on a couple of Velcro closure straps. I rarely keep the zippers shut all the time, just when I’m packing my tube in, I doubt you are packing your predator very far.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Had no idea where you live , that does seem to be a problem for you .

I’ve had the pull straps break on those bags , the zippers have always held up . I’m not very gentle when pulling it closed , and forcing the zipper over an overfilled bag at times . Did the zippers get rusted up ? Try a little dry lube or whatever to get them to move ?

Anyway good luck getting those bags from Scadden , it’s hit , and miss with them . That I know having Scadden boats for many many years . A friend ordered , and payed for a couple of those glue on rings , and has yet to receive them , it’s been nearly a year now.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I wonder if you could take it to a shoe repairman (do those still exist?) next time you make it into town and have new zippers sewn in.
Scollards in North Spokane on NW Bvld has done zippers for me, replacing crappy ones with big tooth YKK for a reasonable price. You might try them, or someone in Newport or Colville that does alterations. and I'd probably buy lunch if I'm in town. Decent burger just down the street.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You might get a hold of these guys.

That may be a great option for the Op ,considering he doesn't want to travel to get them repaired . I think he expressed just buying new ones . Good luck getting them from Scadden , it may be months or quick turnaround , never know with that outfit . Love the Scadden boats I have , but don't like dealing with them .